Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Josh Shields, ASU

I wasn't super impressed watching him vs Micah today. I think Jordan did more to lose the match then shields did to win it. Still a great start for shields regardless but I don't see him being a top 5 force.

I wasn't super impressed watching him vs Micah today. I think Jordan did more to lose the match then shields did to win it. Still a great start for shields regardless but I don't see him being a top 5 force.

That’s what shields always does. He never looks incredible but still wins.

He looked like the worse wrestler vs Panteleo and pulled off the win there too.

Early stall on Micah and no stall on Shields particularly in the 2nd was tough on Jordan.

Bottom line though is that Micah can't escape on top guys, can't happen in a match like that.

Early stall on Micah and no stall on Shields particularly in the 2nd was tough on Jordan.

Bottom line though is that Micah can't escape on top guys, can't happen in a match like that.

Agreed.  Bottom was the difference.  Jordan came out with two takedowns and then was ridden extensively. At their level, it is very rare to start with two TDs and lose.  Shields is a force.

Retherford is so good that 149 was a bit of a hole last year.  Every guy who could killed himself to get to 141.  I don't think the 2-8 at 149 were very good last year.  This is no knock on Retherford as he's the reason the weight isn't deep.

There are two reasons 141 and 165 are the deepest weights. They are named Zain and Nolf.

Wait, people were fleeing to 165 to wrestle imar who is proven to be better than nolf? Not sure I agree with your logic there.

As far as the 2 to 8 at 149 I don't think they were any worse than normal. Zain is a clear front runner but Mayes, Sorenson and Micah aren't much of a step below guys like houdashelt or Chamberlain.

Wait, people were fleeing to 165 to wrestle imar who is proven to be better than nolf? Not sure I agree with your logic there.

As far as the 2 to 8 at 149 I don't think they were any worse than normal. Zain is a clear front runner but Mayes, Sorenson and Micah aren't much of a step below guys like houdashelt or Chamberlain.

A possible answer might be : All things almost equal, why cut the weight.