• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:06 AM

Very early, but is he the most improved so far this year?

He beats an NCAA champ (albeit, it’s Tsirtsis) to make the line-up, then two very high-quality AA opponents back to back (Pantaleo, Jordan), the second one on the road after making weight just two days ago.

Very impressive.
  • Erminio8 likes this

#2 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,245 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:07 AM

I think he will be ranked 4th now

Super impressive. ASU needs him to AA if they want a shot at the podium. 

Panteleo not AAing and Shields AAing would be huge for ASU.

#3 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:08 AM

I wasn't super impressed watching him vs Micah today. I think Jordan did more to lose the match then shields did to win it. Still a great start for shields regardless but I don't see him being a top 5 force.

#4 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,245 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:11 AM

I wasn't super impressed watching him vs Micah today. I think Jordan did more to lose the match then shields did to win it. Still a great start for shields regardless but I don't see him being a top 5 force.

That’s what shields always does. He never looks incredible but still wins.

He looked like the worse wrestler vs Panteleo and pulled off the win there too.

#5 LordNelson

LordNelson

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:11 AM

Early stall on Micah and no stall on Shields particularly in the 2nd was tough on Jordan.

Bottom line though is that Micah can't escape on top guys, can't happen in a match like that.

#6 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:13 AM

Early stall on Micah and no stall on Shields particularly in the 2nd was tough on Jordan.

Bottom line though is that Micah can't escape on top guys, can't happen in a match like that.

Agreed.  Bottom was the difference.  Jordan came out with two takedowns and then was ridden extensively. At their level, it is very rare to start with two TDs and lose.  Shields is a force.

#7 WrestlingFan89

WrestlingFan89

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:16 AM

I think he will be ranked 4th now

Super impressive. ASU needs him to AA if they want a shot at the podium.

Panteleo not AAing and Shields AAing would be huge for ASU.

5th, Nolf, Lavalle, Kemerer, Berger

#8 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:05 AM

Looks correct from here.

#9 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,245 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:06 AM

yeah that makes sense. 5th.

#10 silver-medal

silver-medal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:09 AM

Shields had Micah figured out by end of first period.  Micah is at a much tougher weight this season and will do well merely to AA again.  

#11 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:20 AM

Micah was always slated in the 5 to 8 range so not much has changed with this loss. I certainly didn't expect him to bump up to a tougher weight and outperform his placement last season.

#12 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:36 AM

Retherford is so good that 149 was a bit of a hole last year.  Every guy who could killed himself to get to 141.  I don't think the 2-8 at 149 were very good last year.  This is no knock on Retherford as he's the reason the weight isn't deep.

#13 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,369 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:48 AM

Retherford is so good that 149 was a bit of a hole last year.  Every guy who could killed himself to get to 141.  I don't think the 2-8 at 149 were very good last year.  This is no knock on Retherford as he's the reason the weight isn't deep.

There are two reasons 141 and 165 are the deepest weights. They are named Zain and Nolf.

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#14 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:56 AM

Wait, people were fleeing to 165 to wrestle imar who is proven to be better than nolf? Not sure I agree with your logic there.

As far as the 2 to 8 at 149 I don't think they were any worse than normal. Zain is a clear front runner but Mayes, Sorenson and Micah aren't much of a step below guys like houdashelt or Chamberlain.

#15 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:04 AM

Wait, people were fleeing to 165 to wrestle imar who is proven to be better than nolf? Not sure I agree with your logic there.

As far as the 2 to 8 at 149 I don't think they were any worse than normal. Zain is a clear front runner but Mayes, Sorenson and Micah aren't much of a step below guys like houdashelt or Chamberlain.

A possible answer might be : All things almost equal, why cut the weight. 

• Perry likes this

#16 madcat11

madcat11

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,853 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:13 AM

There are two reasons 141 and 165 are the deepest weights. They are named Zain and Nolf.

Nobody fled Nolf to wrestle iMar
  • Fletcher likes this

#17 silver-medal

silver-medal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:16 AM

Is any discussion not about PSU's dominance?  

• madcat11 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users