• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 lu_alum

lu_alum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,664 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:20 AM

How much of his hype is a result of carryover from his brother?  Has Anthony really done anything in college?

#2 NYWRESTLER94

NYWRESTLER94

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:22 AM

Anthony is good and did beat some high level senior guys while he was getting ready for College but he’s not as good as Zahid and never was. I don’t think anyone has overhyped him from what I’ve seen he’s viewed as what he is

#3 LoStNuMbEr

LoStNuMbEr

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:23 AM

Wasn't he actually ranked ahead of Zahid? I think D1CW had him as the #1 recruit that year and zahid as #3

#4 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:41 AM

He was ranked incredibly high coming out of hs and was higher than zahid I believe. Zeke and company haven't brought about much improvement with and several other top recruits they've brought in. I wasn't impressed with him as our fs coach and I haven't been impressed with him so far at asu, either.

#5 rcoates1

rcoates1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:53 AM

He was ranked so highly because he beat mark hall and teched Tyler Caldwell while still in hs. He is a high level freestyler but for some reason he isn’t that good at folkstyle in college.

Edited by rcoates1, 12 November 2017 - 06:54 AM.

#6 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:56 AM

He hasn't improved any in fs since coming to asu, either.. He may have hit his peak in hs but I think he just needs a new environment to train in.

#7 LordNelson

LordNelson

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:56 AM

Another one that is awful on bottom.

#8 LoStNuMbEr

LoStNuMbEr

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:57 AM

What has Anthony done on the international level, given that FS is his style? I know zahid has made a few teams and medaled at junior world's this year

Edited by LoStNuMbEr, 12 November 2017 - 06:57 AM.

#9 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

3x CA state champ at an upper weight (very, very hard to do)

Junior national champ in FS

Ironman champ

Let's not forget his eye-opening FS performances either. Two TFs of IMart in freestyle and a TF of a very tough post-grad Tyler Caldwell.

Hindsight is 20/20, but Anthony was, at worst, slightly overhyped given how good he was in HS. Calling him overhyped is like calling Marsteller overhyped. Maybe as college prospects in retrospect, but both deserved their accolades in HS.

I was super-bullish on Anthony in college. He is such a good athlete, even more than his brother, which you can't teach, and had a no-quit attitude. I felt he had tons of technical upside. I don't know if it's the cut or what, but his mind just doesn't seem to be in it anymore.

#10 Flying-Tiger

Flying-Tiger

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,487 posts

I think one major factor is that he is a 174 wresting 165. Z. looks great at 174 so Zeke has a difficult decision to make. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger, 12 November 2017 - 07:03 AM.

A Kinder, Gentler Machine Gun Hand

#11 superbowlhomeboy

superbowlhomeboy

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:59 AM

Looks like he caught the H.E.W..

#12 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:00 AM

I honestly think Zahid has the same shot at 174 or 184, so I really don't understand Zeke's decision if Anthony's issue really is the cut. At either weight, he has to face a PSU hammer with whom he is something between even money to a slight favorite. With all due respect to Myles Martin, I think Zahid takes him at 84 as he has done in the past in HS, although they would be close matches.

• AllISeeIsBronze likes this

#13 rcoates1

rcoates1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:02 AM

How is it difficult he has the best guy in the nation wrestling 74 right now and a guy that wrestles freestyle at 74kg so clearly he can make the cut. Maybe he shouldn’t compete very much so he doesn’t have to make the cut as much. It’s not like he is a big 165lber

#14 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,245 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:04 AM

He was ranked incredibly high coming out of hs and was higher than zahid I believe. Zeke and company haven't brought about much improvement with and several other top recruits they've brought in. I wasn't impressed with him as our fs coach and I haven't been impressed with him so far at asu, either.

Shields is much improved and is arguably top 5 now. 

Maruca was a solid recruit who is ranked 11th

Tanner Hall placed 3rd last year out of nowhere

Zahid went from no international medals to a silver at junior worlds

Not all recruits pan out. Does John Smith suck because Martstellar didn't AA? Give me a break

• silver-medal, pjm46, Jaroslav Hasek and 2 others like this

#15 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:04 AM

Anthony wrestled FS at 74 kg with day before weigh-ins. Very different than 165 with 1-hour weigh-ins and dozens of weigh-ins week over week for nearly four months.

I'm not saying it's the cut, I don't know. But using his FS weight with the old weigh-in rules as justification for his folkstyle weight is not convincing.

#16 rcoates1

rcoates1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:07 AM

Anthony wrestled FS at 74 kg with day before weigh-ins. Very different than 165 with 1-hour weigh-ins and dozens of weigh-ins week over week for nearly four months.

I'm not saying it's the cut, I don't know. But using his FS weight with the old weigh-in rules as justification for his folkstyle weight is not convincing.

Which is why I said maybe he shouldn’t compete as much so he doesn’t have as many weight cuts. And also he isn’t a big 165lber he isn’t all cut up and shredded so I’m guessing he doesn’t take his diet as seriously as zahid does. He is as small as people said mark hall was last year if he were to wrestle 174

#17 silver-medal

silver-medal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:07 AM

Zeke was an excellent freestyle coach whose methods of preparation and scouting were far superior to his predecessors.  The success we recently had is due in large part to changes that took place while he ran USA Wrestling.  

• pjm46 and rcoates1 like this

#18 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,086 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:25 AM

Anthony has no feel for folk. Doesn't like it. In HS he was a flashy TD kid and not much else. Mentally he has been suspect and it looks he has lost all confidence. Growing up Zahid was the better of the two. Much more technical always. Anthony had a run late where jumped ahead in rankings but some of that was Zahid went from 112 as a sophmore to 182 as a senior. He got lost a little in the rankings. 70 pounds in 2 years.

#19 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:13 AM

He certified while weighing over 184. The cut is a factor.

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#20 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:18 AM

He certified while weighing over 184. The cut is a factor.

I don't doubt it. He is listed as 5'10", same height as his brother. Zahid is probably the biggest 174 lber in the country, or maybe tied with Bojo. 165 has to be brutal to make with one-hour weigh-ins for four straight months if he really weighs that much. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users