Sign in to follow this  
denny

Zeke goes east

I think that it is pretty gutsy that Zeke scheduled Mich. and Ohio State at the beginnings of our college season. 

Just notice the enthusiasm that it all has created. Good, bad, and/or indifferent.

Personally, I love it. Has answered some questions that I had. Like, could the Sun Devils 'hang' this season with

some of the BIG conf. wrestlers ? What do ya think ?

Let the season roll

What I got.... 

126 is solid. Probable low AA.

133 is potential but a (forever) work in progress.

141 a hole in the line up.The current starter hasn't improved since HS. 

149 is an enigma, capable of beating anybody not named Zain and capable of losing to an under top 20 as well.

157 a grinder who seems to have picked up a tick after last years NCAA performance. A likely AA

165 has no confidence in folkstyle. Worried he might have broken.

174 favorite to win NCAA

184 a young one who when he learns a little patience and tactics has filled a hole.

197 has to learn to wrestle from the bottom. Hardest skill to coach and Zeke isn't real good at it.

HT 2-5 for sure. Brings it in the big tournaments

Mat skills, especially on bottom are lacking. 

Skills on feet exceptional.

Zeke needs to settle down in the corner.

Solid recruiting classes are paying off. 

Should have 9 qualify for the NCAA's.

3-6 AA's. 

2 for sure.

What I got.... 

149 is an enigma, capable of beating anybody not named Zain and capable of losing to an under top 20 as well.

157 a grinder who seems to have picked up a tick after last years NCAA performance. A likely AA

174 favorite to win NCAA

184 a young one who when he learns a little patience and tactics has filled a hole.

197 has to learn to wrestle from the bottom. Hardest skill to coach and Zeke isn't real good at it.

3-6 AA's. 

2 for sure.

Dang astute analysis.

What I got.... 

174 favorite to win NCAA

3-6 AA's. 

2 for sure.

Maybe one of the best analyses I have ever seen

Just watch, you may notice it somewhere down the line this season. In that Zeke's mat side behavior will catch up and bite him in the butt.

But jeez I hope that it does not 'cost' one of his wrestlers when that does happen. Deductions in the tourneys would/will be hurtful indeed.

Just watch, you may notice it somewhere down the line this season. In that Zeke's mat side behavior will catch up and bite him in the butt.

But jeez I hope that it does not 'cost' one of his wrestlers when that does happen. Deductions in the tourneys would/will be hurtful indeed.

It costs them a few points at NCAAs last year, knocking down their team placement

Zeke is an excellent coach, but needs to get his cornering under control.

gallen,

why do you think bottom is the hardest to coach? Cause its a toughness thing?

Not to speak for Gallen, but that is for the most part true. You have your rare guys like Taylor who had great hips and the "feel" from the bottom, but most need to treat it like you are drowning and if you don't escape you are going to die.

Go back and watch the Kolat documentary on FLO. What his dad did was nutz, but things like that are more effective than technique in many cases.

Edited by MSU158

Personally, I like the fact that Coach Jones has schedules some of the matches that he has. I think he's trying to show that his program is on the rise. If he can recruit a few more great wrestlers, the Sundevils should be a serious contender for the top spots come March.

Not to speak for Gallen, but that is for the most part true. You have your rare guys like Taylor who had great hips and the "feel" from the bottom, but most need to treat it like you are drowning and if you don't escape you are going to die.

Go back and watch the Kolat documentary on FLO. What his dad did was nutz, but things like that are more effective than technique in many cases.

I don't agree. Part of coaching is recognizing where technique ends and toughness begins, therefore I would divorce the subjects. 

they aren't gonna be close enough to a trophy to feel a point deduction. 

Unless, of course they do make some noise (or lots of noise) at tourney time,  and the Devil team would actually "feel a point deduction".

I don't agree. Part of coaching is recognizing where technique ends and toughness begins, therefore I would divorce the subjects. 

In almost every other aspect, I would agree with you and even in this situation, in part, you are correct.  Feel free to divorce the 2, but you still have to see that technique usually ends quite early with toughness jumping to the forefront almost immediately.  Bottom wrestling IS mostly about will power, tenacity and overall toughness, especially at the DI level.

All its going to take is for Zahid to win his title and pick up a senior level team spot and their recruiting will start to boom. 

If Shields sneaks onto the podium, and Hall makes the finals they are going to be in great shape come recruiting time. 

"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day"

Good stuff MSU. 

Was thinking of the same thing.  DT grew up riding horses, and I've always wondered if that contributed to his hip/core awareness/balance/strength. 

Teams either need horses or cattle prods.  

the 'whatever the **** it takes move' from Win Win.