• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:54 AM

The three backups at 157 are all seniors, a minimum of NQ and have wrestled 149 at some point of their career. Is Maruca that dominant in the room?

Edited by Plasmodium, 13 November 2017 - 03:56 AM.

#22 KTG119

KTG119

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:01 AM

The three backups at 157 are all seniors, a minimum of NQ and have wrestled 149 at some point of their career. Is Maruca that dominant in the room?

did they cert to be able to drop though?

#23 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:46 AM

did they cert to be able to drop though?

If they wanted to be :)
  • KTG119 likes this

#24 stp

stp

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:53 AM

Not to speak for Gallen, but that is for the most part true. You have your rare guys like Taylor who had great hips and the "feel" from the bottom, but most need to treat it like you are drowning and if you don't escape you are going to die.

Go back and watch the Kolat documentary on FLO. What his dad did was nutz, but things like that are more effective than technique in many cases.

"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day"

Good stuff MSU. 

Was thinking of the same thing.  DT grew up riding horses, and I've always wondered if that contributed to his hip/core awareness/balance/strength. 

Teams either need horses or cattle prods.  

#25 KTG119

KTG119

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:08 AM

Not to speak for Gallen, but that is for the most part true. You have your rare guys like Taylor who had great hips and the "feel" from the bottom, but most need to treat it like you are drowning and if you don't escape you are going to die.

Go back and watch the Kolat documentary on FLO. What his dad did was nutz, but things like that are more effective than technique in many cases.

the 'whatever the **** it takes move' from Win Win.  

• MSU158 likes this

#26 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:57 AM

Zeke's level of ref complaining is really over the top, tone it down sir. 

That whiny, over-excited jumping around stuff is too much for me. Politicing with/telling the refs how to do their jobs in every situation also drives me nuts.

#27 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,088 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:20 AM

On bottom:

In the video at about 5:15, Guerrero versus Jetton. Jetton came into the tournament undefeated Guerrero has some losses. Guerrero is down, just battles on bottom, took three moves and he just, would, not, stop, wrestling, once out for the one, it rattled Jetton long enough that Guerrero scored a TD, and that was pretty much the match.

Technique and mentality.

Edited by sgallan, 13 November 2017 - 09:22 AM.

#28 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,524 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

On bottom:

In the video at about 5:15, Guerrero versus Jetton. Jetton came into the tournament undefeated Guerrero has some losses. Guerrero is down, just battles on bottom, took three moves and he just, would, not, stop, wrestling, once out for the one, it rattled Jetton long enough that Guerrero scored a TD, and that was pretty much the match.

Technique and mentality.

Jetton was an animal that year.  To me, OkState pulled off 2 big upsets in a row with Moore over Morgan and then Guerrero over Jetton.

#29 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:59 AM

Am I intended to take the Jetton/Guerrero example as evidence that bottom is the hardest to coach?

One opinion of mine on the subject (that doesn't support my opinion on coaching bottom being easier than the other positions) is that bottom is the most demanding technically, in the sense that you'll never see someone escape from a competent, tough and motivated wrestler with poor technique. Sloppy turns and TDs can come out of nowhere, I don't think this holds true for escapes. 

#30 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,088 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:08 PM

Am I intended to take the Jetton/Guerrero example as evidence that bottom is the hardest to coach?

One opinion of mine on the subject (that doesn't support my opinion on coaching bottom being easier than the other positions) is that bottom is the most demanding technically, in the sense that you'll never see someone escape from a competent, tough and motivated wrestler with poor technique. Sloppy turns and TDs can come out of nowhere, I don't think this holds true for escapes. 

Mr Nit, meet Mr Pic.

#31 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:09 PM

aren't those the most meaningful conversations?

#32 KTG119

KTG119

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:48 PM

Jetton was an animal that year.  To me, OkState pulled off 2 big upsets in a row with Moore over Morgan and then Guerrero over Jetton.

Guerrero also had to beat Hinson/ISU in semis to get there. Hinson pretty much owned him over the course of their careers. Great tournament for Guerrero.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users