• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 nom

nom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:42 AM

Hi all - hoping some can compile the big matches that have seeding implications here.  Either solidify a ranking due to two closely ranked guys, 'upsets', guys really arriving on the scene and making a name, or guys expected to make a name but fell flat.

Looks like some Lehigh guys stepped up.

Seeing Zahid beat Bo Jordan ... big win.  And it wasn't close from what I'm reading.  Clear #1 at this point.  

Yianni beat Nick Lee solidly but not sure it matters ... is Lee the planned starter for Penn St at 141?

Seeing folks talk about Shields ... what is the story?

Bring them on ... 

#2 WrestlingFan89

WrestlingFan89

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:06 PM

Shields had wins over Panteleo and Jordan

#3 Peso

Peso

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:36 PM

Hmm, Kaid Brock seems to be having his slowest start.  

#4 pish6969

pish6969

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:50 PM

Clear #1 at this point.

Not so clear. If Hall and Zahid go undefeated, Hall will get 1 seed. All star match don’t count on record or come into play for seeding.

Rankings are a different story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 pish6969

pish6969

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:53 PM

There’s been a ton of upsets but off top of my head I can’t think of any guys ranked in top 8 losing to guys outside top 8.

Edit...m Jordan lost to Shields who I don’t think Was ranked in top 8

Edited by pish6969, 12 November 2017 - 03:54 PM.

#6 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:53 PM

Past season doesn't play into current season's seeding. Hall is not guaranteed the 1 seed if him and zahid both go undefeated, it will come down to criteria.

#7 pish6969

pish6969

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:55 PM

Past season doesn't play into current season's seeding. Hall is not guaranteed the 1 seed if him and zahid both go undefeated, it will come down to criteria.

Wanna bet?

#8 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:05 PM

Do I want to bet on what the criteria is or that hall will be the 1 seed? Hall will need to bonus some people and have some better margins of victory against similar competition vs zahid. I don't see him beating bojo by 5 or more (I don't even pick hall to win the match) so zahid is off to a good start already. Hall also has shown he can lose to people he shouldn't so there's a strong possibility he ends up with at least one loss prior to ncaas.

#9 pish6969

pish6969

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:17 PM

Do I want to bet on what the criteria is or that hall will be the 1 seed? Hall will need to bonus some people and have some better margins of victory against similar competition vs zahid. I don't see him beating bojo by 5 or more (I don't even pick hall to win the match) so zahid is off to a good start already. Hall also has shown he can lose to people he shouldn't so there's a strong possibility he ends up with at least one loss prior to ncaas.

Very simple bet. If Hall and Zahid go undefeated, Hall will be number 1 seed. I’ll bet my $100 to your $50

If it happens we can come back to this. If either loses before March all bets are off

#10 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:58 PM

pish, that's not how it works anymore. Perry is right.

The new criteria make it a lot more objective than that. I get that the seeding committee is human and not a computer, but last year's results don't factor in. Of course, people are going to remember that Hall is a returning champ, even though they shouldn't, but then, they'll also remember that Zahid most recently beat Hall, even though they shouldn't. They'll also remember Zahid was ranked #1 literally all season long, even though they shouldn't (we're assuming both go undefeated).

Here are the criteria:

Head-to-Head 25%
Quality Wins 20%
Common opponents 10%
RPI 10%
Qualifying placement 10%
Coaches Rank 10%
Win % 10%
Number of matches 5%

Assuming they are both undefeated (huge assumption)...

H2H won't factor in, although Zahid won, since it was at the All-Star.

Quality wins will be a wash. They will both have beat Bojo twice (Zahid sees him again at the CKLV, Hall once each at the dual and B1G). ASU despite being in a weaker conference has a tough schedule. They already faced Michigan, Ohio State will go to CKLV, and also will go to Midlands. They'll do 4 tournaments this year, the latter two of which are very tough.

Common opponents will be a wash.

RPI is a crapshoot. They often don't make sense to me. Good thing it's only 10%.

Qualifying placement will be a wash.

Coaches rank will favor Zahid.

Win % will be a wash.

Number of matches will likely favor Zahid. ASU goes to four tournaments before conference tourneys: CKLV, Midlands, Virginia Duals, Edinboro Open. PSU only two: Keystone Classic, Southern Scuffle.

Edited by wrestlingnerd, 12 November 2017 - 05:00 PM.

#11 pish6969

pish6969

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:15 AM

I’m not questioning criteria. If they both undefeated Hall will be 1 seed. I’ll take anyone’s bets on that. At the end of the day you not going to take an undefeated returning champ and not make them 1 seed.

#12 redblades

redblades

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:46 AM

All star match don’t count on record or come into play for seeding.

Rankings are a different story

True, but Coaches Ranking does count for seeding, and all else being equal, a head to head win, even unofficial, is likely to be considered by some rankers.

#13 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,245 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:48 AM

There’s been a ton of upsets but off top of my head I can’t think of any guys ranked in top 8 losing to guys outside top 8.

Edit...m Jordan lost to Shields who I don’t think Was ranked in top 8

Shields over Panteleo

Geo over chisko

#14 iGranby

iGranby

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:19 AM

It appears that Cortez will remain the starter for PSU for the time being. 

Only way I see that changing is if they truly believe their team title is in danger and they need him. Even if that happens I'm not sure they pull him. 

#15 ionel

ionel

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:08 AM

Hi all - hoping some can compile the big matches that have seeding implications here.  Either solidify a ranking due to two closely ranked guys, 'upsets', guys really arriving on the scene and making a name, or guys expected to make a name but fell flat.

Looks like some Lehigh guys stepped up.

Seeing Zahid beat Bo Jordan ... big win.  And it wasn't close from what I'm reading.  Clear #1 at this point.  

Yianni beat Nick Lee solidly but not sure it matters ... is Lee the planned starter for Penn St at 141?

Seeing folks talk about Shields ... what is the story?

Bring them on ... 

ahh ... which tournament are you "seeding" already?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users