Photo

Bearcat Open notables (Kelly, Yianni, Chavez)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:07 PM

I'm about halfway through watching the archived matches on Track that I flagged as interesting, so this is an incomplete view, but here are some notables so far.

Cameron Kelly, Ohio

He can AA. I remember being impressed by him when he won Ironman (also was a 4x Ohio state finalist, 2x champ, very legit credentials). I was a little surprised but happy to see him choose Ohio (can't believe he wasn't recruited more heavily). He won a one-pointer (6-5) against supergreyshirt Vito Arujauu in the match of the tournament. Kelly got the first two TDs on Vito in the first period, then escaped in the second to go up 5-1. Vito scored two TDs to tie the match but couldn't hold Kelly down in the final seconds.

N.B. Track has the result reversed (has Vito winning 6-5 but I watched the match and Kelly deservedly got his hand raised). I have no idea who the official winner is but if it's not Kelly, he got robbed.

Kelly blew right through an otherwise mediocre field but did major Cornell's Noah Baughmann, the kid who pinned Piccinini last year. I don't know what Noah was doing at 133, but he needs to cut back down immediately. 133 is no good for him... unless he can't beat his teammate Russo who won the tournament at 125.

Yianni D

My biggest worry about him was the recency of his operations. He looked good but not great when he returned to action, albeit briefly, this year. He looked almost back to his old self, except he didn't have the full tank I'm used to seeing. Nick Lee has had a very good start for a true frosh and Yianni outclassed him in every way. It looked like he wasn't really trying particularly hard either. 

Given how much time off he took to heal and his youth (a true "true freshman"), I expect substantial improvement in four months. Yianni has skills coming out of his ass and ears. He needs to get on the Lehigh weightlifting program and do the roadwork to get his old motor back, and he'll be a major force this year.

Jon Jay Chavez, Cornell

One to watch? He had a pretty good weekend. Starts off by blanking Mason Manville, earned a high-quality win against Penn senior, team captain, and 2017 NCAA R12er (3-2) May Bethea, 

He has been lost in greco-land for a long time, and I've never heard Koll talk about him as a factor in his lineup. The one time Koll trotted him out last year (something like 2 weights above his normal weight, if I recall correctly) didn't go very well, so I had written him off as a (very good) greco project. Don't get me wrong, the kid is a hell of an athlete, I just had never seen much interest in folkstyle until now.

Is he going to be the Cornell starter this year? I hope so. He is pretty fun to watch and with serious greco skills, always just one move away from a big upset.

Edited by wrestlingnerd, 12 November 2017 - 04:30 PM.

• Gantry, redblades and 2td3nf like this

#2 klehner

klehner

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:06 AM

I'm about halfway through watching the archived matches on Track that I flagged as interesting, so this is an incomplete view, but here are some notables so far.

Cameron Kelly, Ohio

He can AA. I remember being impressed by him when he won Ironman (also was a 4x Ohio state finalist, 2x champ, very legit credentials). I was a little surprised but happy to see him choose Ohio (can't believe he wasn't recruited more heavily). He won a one-pointer (6-5) against supergreyshirt Vito Arujauu in the match of the tournament. Kelly got the first two TDs on Vito in the first period, then escaped in the second to go up 5-1. Vito scored two TDs to tie the match but couldn't hold Kelly down in the final seconds.

N.B. Track has the result reversed (has Vito winning 6-5 but I watched the match and Kelly deservedly got his hand raised). I have no idea who the official winner is but if it's not Kelly, he got robbed.

Kelly blew right through an otherwise mediocre field but did major Cornell's Noah Baughmann, the kid who pinned Piccinini last year. I don't know what Noah was doing at 133, but he needs to cut back down immediately. 133 is no good for him... unless he can't beat his teammate Russo who won the tournament at 125.

Yianni D

My biggest worry about him was the recency of his operations. He looked good but not great when he returned to action, albeit briefly, this year. He looked almost back to his old self, except he didn't have the full tank I'm used to seeing. Nick Lee has had a very good start for a true frosh and Yianni outclassed him in every way. It looked like he wasn't really trying particularly hard either. 

Given how much time off he took to heal and his youth (a true "true freshman"), I expect substantial improvement in four months. Yianni has skills coming out of his ass and ears. He needs to get on the Lehigh weightlifting program and do the roadwork to get his old motor back, and he'll be a major force this year.

Jon Jay Chavez, Cornell

One to watch? He had a pretty good weekend. Starts off by blanking Mason Manville, earned a high-quality win against Penn senior, team captain, and 2017 NCAA R12er (3-2) May Bethea, 

He has been lost in greco-land for a long time, and I've never heard Koll talk about him as a factor in his lineup. The one time Koll trotted him out last year (something like 2 weights above his normal weight, if I recall correctly) didn't go very well, so I had written him off as a (very good) greco project. Don't get me wrong, the kid is a hell of an athlete, I just had never seen much interest in folkstyle until now.

Is he going to be the Cornell starter this year? I hope so. He is pretty fun to watch and with serious greco skills, always just one move away from a big upset.

In the Kelly/Arujau match, a number of things.  First, the screen had Kelly as red and Arujau as green, opposite of the colors of their ankle bands, so when you see the ref hold up a red caution, it was actually against Arujau, not Kelly, for instance.  Same with when the ref holds up a single finger for red: that's a point for Arujau.  Next, the RT clock on the screen failed to be switched in the 3rd period, so the effect was no RT (have no idea what was going on on the mat).  Finally, go back and watch after the first period.  It *appears* that they waved off the last-second Kelly TD, so instead of being up 4-1, he was only up 2-1.  If it was waved off, then Arujau wins 5-4 (IIRC), unless there was a stall/caution call (why did the ref give one point to red/Arujau at the end?).  I didn't realize the ankle band discrepancy until I finished watching the match in replay; if I'm bored, I may watch it again with that in mind.

One other note:  Max Dean beat the highly-touted Lou DePrez in the final, and rode him the entire second period to get the deciding RT point.  Like his brother, Max sure does love him some bow-and-arrow.  Unlike his brother, Max goes to it early and often.

#3 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,655 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:42 AM

Nice write-up nerd, thanks for that

#4 klehner

klehner

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:05 AM

Note:  The dashboard now shows Kelly as the 6-5 winner.

#5 RedFan

RedFan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:21 AM

Note:  The dashboard now shows Kelly as the 6-5 winner.

Kelly got the win but clear back points for Arujua were somehow not given in the third  Vito should've won. 

#6 redblades

redblades

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:29 AM

Jon Jay Chavez, Cornell

In Rob Koll's preseason newsletter, he listed Jon Jay as "the wildcard" contender for the starting spot at 165 - so while in past two years his focus was mostly Greco, this season it appears he may be going for a lineup spot.

Edited by redblades, 13 November 2017 - 02:31 AM.

#7 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:26 AM

Kid is built for Greco. Short and stocky with low center of gravity, exceptional hips. He is going to toss a lot of kids to their backs if he starts this year. Who knows how far he’ll get, but he will always be a fun one to watch because he can put anyone on their back. In the finals, he was getting beat handily by the Binghamton kid and then BAM, 6-point move.

#8 Frank_Rizzo

Frank_Rizzo

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:05 AM

He needs to get on the Lehigh weightlifting program and do the roadwork to get his old motor back, and he'll be a major force this year.

Not sure what you mean by the Lehigh weightlifting program, as Cornell has churned out specimen after specimen in recent years.  In fact, Lehigh guys typically look a little underpowered because they don't cut as much weight as other top Division 1 programs.  

Edited by Frank_Rizzo, 13 November 2017 - 08:08 AM.

#9 klehner

klehner

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:23 AM

Not sure what you mean by the Lehigh weightlifting program, as Cornell has churned out specimen after specimen in recent years.  In fact, Lehigh guys typically look a little underpowered because they don't cut as much weight as other top Division 1 programs.  

Have you seen what Preisch, Kutler, and Gordon F'ing Wolf look like this year?!?

#10 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,245 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:32 AM

Not sure what you mean by the Lehigh weightlifting program, as Cornell has churned out specimen after specimen in recent years. In fact, Lehigh guys typically look a little underpowered because they don't cut as much weight as other top Division 1 programs.

Lehigh must’ve changed their lifting program this year. Their entire team looks crazy.

#11 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:04 AM

Frank:
Darian Cruz, Scotty Parker, Jordan Kutler are exhibits A, B, and C. Others too but heir transformations over the past year and change are very notable. Gilman made comments about how strong Cruz was at NCAAs, and visually the difference is very noticeable. Parker looks even more transformed. That move to beat Kaid Brock last weekend was a little technique and a LOTof horsepower. Kutler is up two weights and looking strong as hell. I’d say the Lehigh lifting program is effective.

#12 Idaho

Idaho

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:53 PM

In Rob Koll's preseason newsletter, he listed Jon Jay as "the wildcard" contender for the starting spot at 165 - so while in past two years his focus was mostly Greco, this season it appears he may be going for a lineup spot.

I would like to see Jon Jay in the lineup....I believe his younger brother Jaron is at Finger Lakes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users