• 312 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:45 AM

#2 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:08 AM

Let me just say right now since it happens every time andegre posts these.... These are COMPUTER GENERATED rankings and often need a few weeks of initial data before it settles out some of the kinks.  Especially for new and young wrestlers who don't have a lot of matches under their belt. 

• pawrestler and andegre like this

#3 klehner

klehner

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:15 AM

Let me just say right now since it happens every time andegre posts these.... These are COMPUTER GENERATED rankings and often need a few weeks of initial data before it settles out some of the kinks.  Especially for new and young wrestlers who don't have a lot of matches under their belt. 

What?  Are you saying that Yianni D. should not be ranked #197 at 141?

• andegre likes this

#4 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:24 AM

Iowa ranked below Arizona State, NC State, Rutgers and Central Michigan in terms of dual strength. lol how the mighty have fallen.. I'm not surprised they are willing to accept a tumor like PD3 to stay relevant. I AM surprised to see Brands not on the chopping block with this kind of a line up..

Edited by Perry, 14 November 2017 - 01:24 AM.

#5 Witherman

Witherman

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:54 AM

Iowa ranked below Arizona State, NC State, Rutgers and Central Michigan in terms of dual strength. lol how the mighty have fallen.. I'm not surprised they are willing to accept a tumor like PD3 to stay relevant. I AM surprised to see Brands not on the chopping block with this kind of a line up..

#6 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:57 AM

Not arguing that they're computer rankings and it's early, but Iowa is realistically going to end with 4x aas and that assumes marinelli makes the stand in a deep weight and stoll stays healthy. Both big ifs. I guess you can chalk in 5 aas if Downey actually gets in. Maybe enough for a higher finish but that's if everything goes right.

#7 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,424 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:06 AM

Not arguing that they're computer rankings and it's early, but Iowa is realistically going to end with 4x aas and that assumes marinelli makes the stand in a deep weight and stoll stays healthy. Both big ifs. I guess you can chalk in 5 aas if Downey actually gets in. Maybe enough for a higher finish but that's if everything goes right.

They should pull the pied piper's redshirt. Get him out of the sauna and onto the mat. 

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#8 redblades

redblades

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:11 AM

What?  Are you saying that Yianni D. should not be ranked #197 at 141?

Actually - he's ranked somewhere between 197 to 238.  Let's not contribute to ranking inflation, Klehner! ;-P

#9 tigerfan9311

tigerfan9311

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:21 AM

Andre, Mizzou's 184 looks to be Canten Marriott or Wyatt Koehling rather than Dylan Wisman.

• andegre likes this

#10 ionel

ionel

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:28 AM

I like wrestlestat rankings, info etc.  But if not going to update info with the weekend results, then why not wait till say Wednesday to release the new rankings etc.?

• andegre likes this

#11 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,524 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:36 AM

I know you are a well known Iowa troll, but come on, they are in an obvious rebuilding year.  Hell, even PSU took 5th at B1G's and 6th at NCAA's in 2015.   Iowa graduated 4xAA and NCAA Champ Clark, 3xAA Gilman, 2xAA Brooks and 1xAA Meyer.  With that, I still don't see Iowa doing worse than either of those placements and they will be stocked the following season with a solid chance to start contending for NCAA's.

Iowa 2018-2019:

125:Lee

133:Laux?  As of now this appears to be their one major hole, but major holes have yet to stop PSU

141:Turk/Murin  Murin already looks tough as a true freshman and could very well be special

149:Lugo  Could step right in for Sorenson

157:Kemerer

165:Marinelli

174:Young/Gunther/Wilson

184:Wilcke

197:Warner

285:Stoll/Cassioppi

That is a pretty damn strong lineup with a bunch of eligibility left.  If they can do something at 133 and someone steps up at 174, they will be very hard to beat for the foreseeable future!

Edited by MSU158, 14 November 2017 - 04:38 AM.

#12 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:45 AM

I know you are a well known Iowa troll, but come on, they are in an obvious rebuilding year.  Hell, even PSU took 5th at B1G's and 6th at NCAA's in 2015.   Iowa graduated 4xAA and NCAA Champ Clark, 3xAA Gilman, 2xAA Brooks and 1xAA Meyer.  With that, I still don't see Iowa doing worse than either of those placements and they will be stocked the following season with a solid chance to start contending for NCAA's.

Iowa 2018-2019:

125:Lee

133:Laux?  As of now this appears to be their one major hole, but major holes have yet to stop PSU

141:Turk/Murin  Murin already looks tough as a true freshman and could very well be special

149:Lugo  Could step right in for Sorenson

157:Kemerer

165:Marinelli

174:Young/Gunther/Wilson

184:Wilcke

197:Warner

285:Stoll/Cassioppi

That is a pretty damn strong lineup with a bunch of eligibility left.  If they can do something at 133 and someone steps up at 174, they will be very hard to beat for the foreseeable future!

Do you see Iowa definitively winning a series of team titles after this "rebuilding" season?

PSU's 2015 team would have been in contention for the team title if they didn't redshirt so many major point scorers. Would Iowa be a serious title threat this year if they put out their best possible line up?

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 14 November 2017 - 06:02 AM.

#13 Witherman

Witherman

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:15 AM

Do you see Iowa definitively winning a series of team titles after this "rebuilding" season?

PSU's 2015 team would have been in contention for the team title if they didn't redshirt so many major point scorers. Would Iowa be a serious title threat this year if they put out their best possible line up?

I'll bite

125: Lee - Top 3

133: Murin/Happel (if they could get down) - R12 - Low AA

141: Lugo (if he could get down) - Top 4

149: Sorenson - 2nd

157: Kemdog - 2nd

165: Marinelli - Mid AA

174: Young - R12

184: PD3 - Top 3

197: Warner - Top 5

285: Stoll - top 5

Now, there are a couple caveats in here with Lugo & Murin/Happel but if Iowa were to put our BEST team out on the mat, I see 9 AA's & as many as four finalists depending on how things shake out.

I call that a serious title threat in the fantasy land we are playing in

#14 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,524 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:16 AM

Question 1 Answer:  Absolutely can, but do I think they will win a series? No.  But I think they will win at least 1 with Lee and be super competitive with PSU and tOSU throughout that timeframe.

Question 2 Answer:  Not a truly fair comparison.  Could this Iowa team sending their best lineup have won it in 2015?  Absolutely.  102 was a clear winner.  However, this season has 2 absolute juggernaughts in tOSU and PSU.  130 is probably the bare minimum to win.  Could Iowa maybe score that if they let Lee and Warner go with Downey being able to man 184?  It is possible, but not likely.

I would rather see the lineup I posted above start off in 2018-2019.  Lee and Warner will almost definitely have developed into title contenders.  Kemerer and Stoll(Snyder and Coon graduate) could definitely challenge as finalists.  Lugo has the potential to fully fill Sorenson's shoes.  Wilcke back to 184 should make him a solid AA contender.  Young/Gunther will have gained another year of experience and possibly have proven themselves.  Turk appears to be a fringe AA candidate and if Murin continues his progression he may pass him. I truly believe in Marinelli.  165 is super top heavy so I don't think he makes the Finals his 1st couple of seasons but I think he starts off around 5th/6th and steadily moves up from there.  So, that only leaves 133 as a non factor.

So, yes I believe reloading this year gives Iowa a great chance to win at least 1 in the next 4 years.

Edited by MSU158, 14 November 2017 - 06:19 AM.

• Witherman and BigTenFanboy like this

#15 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:25 AM

Question 1 Answer:  Absolutely can, but do I think they will win a series? No.  But I think they will win at least 1 with Lee and be super competitive with PSU and tOSU throughout that timeframe.

Question 2 Answer:  Not a truly fair comparison.  Could this Iowa team sending their best lineup have won it in 2015?  Absolutely.  102 was a clear winner.  However, this season has 2 absolute juggernaughts in tOSU and PSU.  130 is probably the bare minimum to win.  Could Iowa maybe score that if they let Lee and Warner go with Downey being able to man 184?  It is possible, but not likely.

I would rather see the lineup I posted above start off in 2018-2019.  Lee and Warner will almost definitely have developed into title contenders.  Kemerer and Stoll(Snyder and Coon graduate) could definitely challenge as finalists.  Lugo has the potential to fully fill Sorenson's shoes.  Wilcke back to 184 should make him a solid AA contender.  Young/Gunther will have gained another year of experience and possibly have proven themselves.  Turk appears to be a fringe AA candidate and if Murin continues his progression he may pass him.  So, that only leaves 133 as a non factor.

So, yes I believe reloading this year gives Iowa a great chance to win at least 1 in the next 4 years.

Classy response. Thank you.

As for Question 2 it is a fair comparison because that's who the 2015 PSU team had to contend with. Taking this year's Iowa squad and putting them against a 2015 field is not an apples to apples comparison. The main point I was trying to make was the 2015 PSU squad took a gamble and chose not to put out a fully loaded team what would have been capable of winning the team title for the long term benefit. This year's Iowa squad even fully loaded would not be in the running for a team title so its a pretty easy decision for them to go with a "rebuilding" year.

#16 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:37 AM

It's pretty stupid ranking Ohio State over a team with 5 returning NCAA champs. Reminds me of last year when Okie State was ranked over PSU even though everybody KNEW PSU was much, much better. Do they do these rankings just to make a "splash" and surprise people?

#17 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,524 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:48 AM

It's pretty stupid ranking Ohio State over a team with 5 returning NCAA champs. Reminds me of last year when Okie State was ranked over PSU even though everybody KNEW PSU was much, much better. Do they do these rankings just to make a "splash" and surprise people?

Early ranking are based on numbers(especially Wrestlestat), not opinions.  PSU has done enough that most would choose them to win.  However, in the case of OkState, they returned considerably more NCAA pts than PSU.  PSU ended up winning because 1st year starters in Hall and Joseph won it all.  You can't figure that into the rankings.  Plus, Nevills was finally healthy and AA'd.

As far as this year goes, Intermat actually has PSU in the lead and I would say they are more accurate early on.

• andegre likes this

#18 Witherman

Witherman

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:50 AM

bro read the second post on this thread

• andegre likes this

#19 andegre

andegre

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:51 AM

Andre, Mizzou's 184 looks to be Canten Marriott or Wyatt Koehling rather than Dylan Wisman.

Looks like someone already updated for me...

#20 andegre

andegre

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:52 AM

I like wrestlestat rankings, info etc.  But if not going to update info with the weekend results, then why not wait till say Wednesday to release the new rankings etc.?

Sometimes it takes almost a full week to get weekend tournament results entered. I don't want to hold up the rankings that long in those cases.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users