Sign in to follow this  
Pinnum

Boy Do I Have A Lot To Learn!

Actually no, we don't need to break in the noob. We need to educate and patiently explain the sport and answer questions. Now if we want to remain an insulated club and fling snark every other post, I am good with that. Just don't expect the sport to grow.

I do sympathize with the blogger - being new to wrestling and having folkstyle and freestyle going on at the same time must've been very confusing even with someone there to explain things. IMO, folk is pretty easy to grasp and even newbies can quickly get into the strategy of choosing top/bottom/neutral, riding time, etc.  Freestyle OTOH is very exciting, but the rules are not as intuitive. Try explaining criteria, passivity, 5 point throws, "correct throws" (which I still don't totally get), etc. to a novice viewer and their eyes will glaze over. Criteria is the worst, though. I know a lot of people love the criteria system, but nothing annoys casual American fans more than seeing someone's arm being raised when the score is tied, haha.