Sign in to follow this  
fanta

Biggest flop in college

Iowa:  I'm not the best historian of Iowa HS wrestling, but I have to think TJ Sebolt is up there.  I think he was ranked 2nd nationally at 130 and was one of IA's most decorated HS wrestlers. 

That being said, collegiate wrestling isn't for everyone.  TJ runs a HELL of a club now which is churning out collegiate prospects.

I'll give our state credit for this one.  One of the, if it not the most highly touted blue chipper in state history.....

Chance M.

Name one from your state.

pretty stupid selection. chance is winning college opens, has two years to AA, and has had really solid (placing) performances at the Open and the trials.

there has been many highly touted recruits from PA to not do the above. 

pretty stupid selection. chance is winning college opens, has two years to AA, and has had really solid (placing) performances at the Open and the trials.

The pound for pound number 1 high school wrestler of his year hasn't All-American'd, and we're already talking about his junior year. 

I would say that is a flop.  The pound for pound number 1 high school wrestler in the nation could barely break the line-up at his chosen school.

I would say that is a flop.  

If Gable Stevenson didn't All-American at least 3 years, would it be a flop?  If Mark Hall didn't All-American at least 3 years, would it be a flop?

I hope the unbunching of your panties has already been done.

He hasn't really had a chance to prove himself yet, everyone knows this is his fault, but flop isn't the word that comes to mind. In two months if he is contending for a title, which wouldn't surprise anyone, there is no way you can call him a flop.

I'm not interested in labeling anyone but to me a flop is just someone who turned out to just not have it. 

The pound for pound number 1 high school wrestler of his year hasn't All-American'd, and we're already talking about his junior year. 

I would say that is a flop.  The pound for pound number 1 high school wrestler in the nation could barely break the line-up at his chosen school.

If Gable Stevenson didn't All-American at least 3 years, would it be a flop?  If Mark Hall didn't All-American at least 3 years, would it be a flop?

Again, who is this Gable Stevenson kid?  Don't know him but I guarantee you he won't make AA even once, not a chance of 3x.

Haven’t 4x PA champs Ty Moore and Bob Crawford done more to earn that moniker than Marsteller? And their eligibility clocks have already run out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say that is a flop. The pound for pound number 1 high school wrestler in the nation could barely break the line-up at his chosen school.

If Gable Stevenson didn't All-American at least 3 years, would it be a flop? If Mark Hall didn't All-American at least 3 years, would it be a flop?

I guess what we are saying is to wait until his career is done to call him a flop. He wrestled his true frosh yr and had weight issues and his well documented off the mat troubles. Before getting kicked from the team. He couldn’t necessarily go up to 165, OK State had a decent guy there at the time.

So if he finishes as a 2x AA is he still a flop? If he is “only” a 2x champ is he still a flop? This is why you wait till a career is done before you write them off.

You could call the Alton twins flops considering they only placed what 2x’s together?

This is a pretty negative thread. Should probably make a thread of people who didn’t live up to expectations for a variety of reasons.

I just don't understand the point of listing all the people who didn't accomplish what we expected them too.  Why point out peoples shortcomings instead of celebrating their accomplishments?, We (wrestlers) are a small community.  Let's not eat our own.

I just don't understand the point of listing all the people who didn't accomplish what we expected them too.  Why point out peoples shortcomings instead of celebrating their accomplishments?, We (wrestlers) are a small community.  Let's not eat our own.

Sometimes wrestling's worst enemy is its own advocates.

That's what forums are for, to discuss and debate.  That's why our forum is dying, noone wants to humor the debate anymore.

Marsteller wasn't even the #1 recruit that year...............Hell, most of the recent guys ranked #2 prior to him didn't accomplish much at the DI level:  Taylor Massa, D. McCauley, A. Alton, Grajales(1xAA), Winston, Kemmerer(1xAA) and  Cejudo(admittedly won Olympics).  Since 2005, the only 2 with strong success were Metcalf and Coon. 

Only people from your state had him P4P number 1.  Pretty much everyone had Snyder.  Also, I think the #2 ranking became iffy once Wiercioch got teched by Bo Jordan in an open early that year. I remember PSU fans saying it wasn't even that big of a loss when Marsteller switched to OSU... In retrospect, they were right. 

With all that said, he was definitely a top recruit, but plenty of top recruits don't win NCAAs or become 4X AAs. 

The list is loooooong from Ohio.  Lots of supposed "blue chippers" that did little to nothing in college.    Of course, being a 4x timer in Ohio (with its three divisions) is a lot easier than some states which only have one title.