Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Retherford v. Heil - what's the outcome?

MD or TF for Retherford? Or does Heil's tendency to keep matches close let him hang around in this match?

Would anyone on this board actually pick Heil to win??? It seems as though he chooses to score only the bare minimum necessary to win over the past two years, so maybe we haven't seen his ceiling yet?

Zain 5-3. I don't think Zain would bonus Heil. Heil is a whole lot better than Collica ever was, and Zain "barely" beat Collica a couple times (obviously Collica was stalling his ass off). Unless Heil tried to get frisky and got caught I think he could keep it to a regular decision.

Zain's not unbeatable, btw. His neutral skills are good, not great. He's got a small hole or two in his game.

MD or TF for Retherford? Or does Heil's tendency to keep matches close let him hang around in this match?

Would anyone on this board actually pick Heil to win??? It seems as though he chooses to score only the bare minimum necessary to win over the past two years, so maybe we haven't seen his ceiling yet?

Yeah, but the "experts" (guys who were better wrestlers than me) say that Heil has the full skill set for greatness. At NCAAs last year I think it was David Taylor who said something about Heil could be scoring more points "if he wanted to". Heil is just not an aggressive wrestler (neither was Uetake..he rarely bonused anyone).

Assuming folkstyle, Zain by MD.  Zain's aresenal is too great, and quite frankly, I do believe there is a skill gap between 141 and 149 right now.  When Stieber was 141, it was a bit of the opposite, as he was taking down the 149'ers left and right. 

Freestyle, Zain by Tech.  Heil proved he doesn't have the FS skill set yet in his latest endeavor, getting beat fairly easily (was it U23's, or Universities?  I forget). 

Anyway, Zain (and Sorenson) would both beat Heil, IMHO.

In freestyle Zain wins easily. I say that after Heil got blanked by Robbie Mathers this past summer. 

In folk, I think Zain wins easily there too. Heil practically goes to his back as a regular way of wrestling, and Zain isn't someone you want to do that with. Zain is also just larger than Heil right now. 

I am gonna defend Heil by bashing him....I can't believe he trains for freestyle. I think they had Guerrero chloroform him and he just sorta woke up at the weigh in. 

Heil is a pure folkstyle guy, almost everything he does is giving up point in freestyle. Mathers has his moments but isn't really in Heil's league, which suggests Heil didn't actually try to wrestle a tactically functional freestyle match.

Heil may end up with a better overall placement record than zain if that counts for anything? 4, 1, 1, 1 > 5, 1, 1, 1 (if you exclude Hodge trophies).

I would pick zain all day in a folk (or free) match though I agree the folk match would be closer than some suggest. I imagine it may look similar to the Valencia Jordan match from Sunday. Zain controlled 4 or 5 point margin of victory.

Retherford has made more world teams than either of those guys, so what you wrote is probably true. For example, Dake hasn't made a single world team. Ever. 

One thing is for sure, Gilman is better than David Taylor. 

Edited by hammerlockthree