Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Warner majors Miklus

They should let Lee and Warner wrestle this year. Two possible finalists.

What good would 2 finalists do them?  They'd lose by 40 instead of 70?

If february rolls around and the rest of their lineup has made huge strides and tOSU and PSU have fallen a bit, and 2 finalists might make the difference, then you put them in.  Until then there is no point.  Even if I planned on wrestling a TF I'd still keep them in "RS" and let them wrestle tournaments around the country until the 2nd half.

Edited by boconnell

Disagree. Wasted year. Let PSU lose Retherford and tOSU lose Snyder, NATO and BoJo. I could see 2019 being a start of a nice run if they wait.

Was meant as response to Tbar but Boconnell snuck in before me.

Edited by MSU158

Not saying they would or even could win, but that program is in dire need of some excitement and Lee and Warner are exciting. Worry about what happens 5 years from now in recruiting.

The 'excitement' of a top 5 finish isn't going to change recruiting a bit.  Potential recruits around the country absolutely know who Spencer Lee is whether he wrestles attached this year or not.  

I actually see redshirting them as the biggest possible help for recruiting need weights. Telling recruits you have 4 more years of Lee and Warner challenging for titles along with 2 from Kemerer and maybe 3 from Marinelli is a pretty strong sell. Hell, even Lugo could really make Iowa look good with Retherford and Sorenson graduating.

Sanderson has proven that PSU will be very hard to beat for some time. But, I think Iowa has the makings to really go on a run starting next season.

Edited by MSU158

Warner looked GREAT, but Miklus is coming off a long layoff and a weight jump.  Miklus barely beat the non-qualifier Illinois kid at their dual.  Plus Warner went to OT against Dixon and something like 5-2 against Dixon's backup in this tourney too. 

Not saying he wouldn't AA or anything, because I absolutely think he would.  But give him a year to gain size and wait for the big2 to lose some horses.

Edited by Gantry

The 'excitement' of a top 5 finish isn't going to change recruiting a bit.  Potential recruits around the country absolutely know who Spencer Lee is whether he wrestles attached this year or not.  

I disagree. Recruits aren't reading WIN Magazine and scanning for box scores. Two freshmen on the cover of Flo every week is exactly what they need. Iowa is behind, and they aren't going to small ball their way back. But in theory these decisions are made along the lines of whats best for the kids. 

And no offense to Warner, Miklus looked like he head ski boots on, the fight wasn't there. 

I disagree. Recruits aren't reading WIN Magazine and scanning for box scores. Two freshmen on the cover of Flo every week is exactly what they need. Iowa is behind, and they aren't going to small ball their way back. But in theory these decisions are made along the lines of whats best for the kids. 

And no offense to Warner, Miklus looked like he head ski boots on, the fight wasn't there. 

Spencer Lee hasn't wrestled for Iowa yet and he's found his way to the Flo front page and the top of message board discussions.  Taking a RS year and wrestling college tournaments and then freestyle all summer won't suddenly banish him to box scores. 

And Iowa has had plenty of top 5 finishes that led to them being behind (your own words).  They have had freshman succeed while falling behind too.  What they haven't done is truly challenge for a title in years.  

1) Lee is still a ?, and a lot of the intrigue surrounding him involves how disastrous it will be for Iowa if he flops. 

2) Iowa has slipped into the #1 ranking in recent years, I don't know how thats not challenging for a title. 

My point, which is publicly embraced by Iowas staff, is that they have a public image crisis. Rankings and finishes can cure it, but sense thats not in the near future, the public relations side is crucial also. Make sense? That doesn't relate directly to redshirting those kids or not. I don't think we are too far off, kinda a 60/40 thing. 

I agree that lee will not flop unless he is riddled with injuries, he will be a top 3 guy battling with fix and suriano.

Great win for warner here. Miklus didn't look great, but I'm sure Warner had something to do with that. I still think you keep both guys shirts unless Downey actually shows up and marinelli establishes himself as a top 5 guy. Lee, Sorenson, kemmerer, marinelli, Warner, Downey and stoll is pretty tough and likely a 3rd or 4th place team.

Not saying they would or even could win, but that program is in dire need of some excitement and Lee and Warner are exciting. Worry about what happens 5 years from now in recruiting.

Will TnT still be coaching Iowa in 5 years?

Will TnT still be coaching Iowa in 5 years?

They should start coaching with some urgency, otherwise they will keep getting smoked. Their schedule from January 14 thru February 10 requires all hands on deck. They redshirt Lee and Warner and they are going to take some beatings,

Edited by TBar1977

No you aren't.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rewatched again with my buddy this AM. Miklus didn't even look like he cared that he was losing at any point in the match - zero sense of urgency. I genuinely wonder if he's checked out a bit. Isn't he nearly 25 years old at this point?