Sign in to follow this  
wrestle09

attendance at national duals

Let's wait and see what next week's attendance is. Penn State's not in it, Iowa and Minnesota did not wrestle the tournament this weekend and Ok State was quite a ways from Stillwater. I'm betting next weeks count will be much better even with the Minnesota high school individual Sections next Friday and Saturday.

I don't mind having the NWCA Div I National Duals, just don't put the NCAA tag on it or call them the national champions. The NCAA title has always been decided at the NCAA Tournament and should stay that way. I have been to Colorado high school duals with better attendance than that.

I agree that the first rounds would probably be the weakest though. Hard to judge attendance as a whole based on the weakest day.

Has anyone ever ran numbers to see what would qualify as "successful" as far as attendance? I know each case is probably different, but what is good attendance and what is poor? Obviously 700 falls under poor, but 2k+ seems fairly decent imo.

If an event draws 4000 does it pay the bills?

I wonder if the 10am start time on a Sunday had anything to do with low attendance at Missouri.

I could see it playing a small role, but not the kind of numbers that would make a big swing. What are MO usual attendances like?

and outside of PSU and Iowa home meets, four of the most attended events of this year ...

I sent this from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Are you being sarcastic? 2000 fans at cornell seems ok...700 bleak.. others??

Post taken from another forum. "I went to Kent State yesterday to watch. Ticket prices were $25, 10, and 5. When we got into the Mac that seats 6500 it was empty. I bet there were less than 500 people there to watch. It was obvious that you could sit where ever you want. It was a great opportunity for the kids to get pictures and autographs with Kilgore, Jordan Oliver, Chris Perry, Kenny Monday, John Smith etc. I just wonder how many fans would have been there if it had not been broadcast on Flo or 6500 people at the PSU match."

Coach Smith has done a great job building a fan base. I'd guess their average home meet attendance would be close to 2000 but they had 6500 at the beauty and the beast so that skews it somewhat. I know we get a lot of people on the boards who knock attendance figures but I would like to see how wrestling at Division 1 compares to other non revenue programs at D-1 level. I think wrestling at Division 1 level is very marketable. One of the problems with the NWCA National Duals is getting everyone to "buy" in. With only 77 D-1 programs does Iowa want to wrestle more of the Big 10 programs again before Big 10's? Could it be a great event if everyone is on board and it is placed on schedule at a time that allows plenty of rest before the post season events? I do think it could draw very well if everyone is in and is very organized.

I was at the Mizzou regional & several factors that were disturbing

1. Yes the 10AM Sunday start not good

2. Ticket price $15.00 adult - they charged $10.00 each for my 3yr old and 2yr old grandsons

3. Programs $10.00 each - consessions prices rediculous

4. Then the teams did not put out the best lineups possible avoiding ranked matchups that would have been great to see - even leaving some weights open

5. Zero addl entertainment value such as cheerleaders,mascots or band - the Maryland guy was it heck better than nothing

6. Bad timing as high school state wrestling championships were thursday through saturday night & people were wrestled out

We wonder why we only have the DIEHARDS such as myself and my sons at these events!!!!

and outside of PSU and Iowa home meets, four of the most attended events of this year ...

I sent this from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Are you being sarcastic? 2000 fans at cornell seems ok...700 bleak.. others??

So what is your point??

I am not (yet) a fan of the idea to have the duels determine the NCAA champ but the whole dynamic will change. Basically, there will be very few or, no other college wrestling events during the national duels competition because schedules will have to be clear in the event the team advances. All the top teams will participate and they will likely select venues that will draw a crowd.

I am on the fence on this, good arguments on both sides, for and against. The IOC decision may have a trickle down effect. I am now more open minded to the idea of the duels because we can't take wrestling for granted. We have to keep expanding and be creative and take advantage of opportunities. This just may be a good thing for wrestling if they can cooperate and plan smartly. I don't think it will hurt the sport even if the National Duels to determine NCAA title fails, just switch back.

I was at the Kent State Regional. Don't have the official attendance. But my friend who is in charge of security at the venue guesses between 3,000 and 4,000.

Overall it was a great event. The coaches and wrestlers were great with the kids, signing autographs and posing for pictures.

Made for a long weekend of wrestling, Friday and Saturday was high school sectionals.

Attendance may have been down a little from all the wrestling over the weekend. The Junior High district tournament was going on Sunday.

KSU coach Jim Andrassy should be commended for bringing this event to Kent State.

I've now heard about 1300 at Oregon State.

Not to contradict you since you were there but someone else there suggested more like 500. However, the person that said that was really noting how small the crowd was given the size of the arena and just threw out a number.

Could the larger figure be a sum of crowds throughout the matches? Or that for whatever match the other guy attended possibly that was between two teams neither being Kent State?

where is pinnum at? he will break it down for you guys how the ncaa brand behind this event would have more than doubled the attendance. in the first and second rounds, 8 different sites hosting the matches would have drawn 1,900 and 3,775 averages. psu and iowa hosting would account for the boost in attendance from the first to second round. the coaches really blew it this summer by not going to the team format. the whole tournament would draw over 105,000. :roll:

The people were spread out because of the ticket price structure. Bleacher on one end were reserved for the student section, bleachers on the other end for group sales. The upstairs balcony section, which is usually closed, had fans that bought the cheap tickets. Most of the lower level box seats were full. The ushers let the fans in the bleacher move from one end to the other to follow the Kent team, leaving the other end bleacher pretty much empty.

Whoever said 500 is way off.