Sign in to follow this  
wrestle09

attendance at national duals

The big tournament in March isn't helping small programs on the chopping block. Support from the students and local community is what's going to keep those programs around and that starts with putting buts in seats at their home duals.

It is the Head Coach's job to put people in the seats. If a coach is not doing that job, he needs to go. As a sport, we need to put more of an emphasis on what some coaching staffs are doing to promote the sport.

It starts with what kind of product you put on the mat. Are coaching staffs putting in the time produce an entertaining style of wrestling?

Marketing/Promotions/Community Outreach. Are coaching staffs putting any energy and effort into promoting their team to the community and students? *I think there is a shift here and more coaches are getting it, isn't leading to butts in seats tho.

Fundraising. What are the coaching staffs doing to ensure that their program is sustainable and safe from administrative review? *watch rob koll in their FLO piece, very inspiring effort here.

These are the biggest factors(among a few others), this is where we should judge a head coach. I wish we had as strict of standards on our head coaches as big time football and basketball does. If guys aren't motivated to do these things then they don't deserve to coach at the D1 level. D1 wrestling is so fragile right now, we can't afford to have leaders that don't care.

It is the Head Coach's job to put people in the seats. If a coach is not doing that job, he needs to go. As a sport, we need to put more of an emphasis on what some coaching staffs are doing to promote the sport.

Marketing/Promotions/Community Outreach. Are coaching staffs putting any energy and effort into promoting their team to the community and students? *I think there is a shift here and more coaches are getting it, isn't leading to butts in seats tho.

What do you think would work better as a marketing/promotions/community outreach base:

"Come watch your XYZ Univerisity wrestlers team compete for a spot in the Big Dance"

or

"Come watch some matches that might affect the seeding at the conference tournament"?

At least in the current model the lower teams could potentially have a bright spot, one or two individual all-americans, sneak into the top 10-20 at the current national format, and make a big impact on the perception and growth of a program.

How big of an impact did the national champs at Fresno State, UC Davis and Oregon have on the perception and growth of those programs? How big of an impact did all those national qualifiers from UNCG and Liberty have on the perception and growth of those programs?

Well, I suspect that Stephen Abas had a positive impact on attendance at his alma mater. Fresno State set a West Coast attendance record when they drew 9,750 fans to a dual against Iowa State in 2005. Abas, along with Lorenzo Neal and Randy Coutre were special guests who were used to promote the dual (see link below).

http://www.themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=8715

It would be beneficial to have some data to really answer the question of what impact national champs and other top performers have on the perception and growth of programs. However, I don't think you can assume that, just because a program was dropped, their impact wasn't positive. Perhaps those programs wouldn't have lasted as long as they did without guys like Abas.

On a related note, Arizona State dropped their program in 2008, but it was reinstated within weeks when they got community support for funding. My understanding is that Anthony Robles was one of the reasons that happened so quickly. Therefore, I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the impact that even one or two stars might have on preserving the sport.

You know, there was a time when schools sponsored activities for the student as a means of further developing character, etc. Now it's all about putting seats in the stands? If it really is all about what's in it for the public, i.e. fans, then may I humbly suggest that we have, somewhere along the way, lost our sense of why extra-curriculars are even part of the collegiate environment. And please don't cite the current state of football or basketball - that just reinforces my point; they have been prostituted. What was originally intended as merely one more avenue for student development has now been reduced to a cash cow. I think non-revenue sports should welcome their relative anonymity and stay true to their mandate as a state sponsored activity as part of the educational system.

Hurricane I am pretty sure the saving of Arizona State had less to do with Robles and a lot more to do with all the money that had been put into SunKist.

Additionally, fundraising is great but the programs that are always mentioned and are always at the top have a few key guys willing to write large checks. Not something all programs have available right now--though something all should be working towards.

I find it interesting that people will cite high dual attendance as a reason we aren't in need of switching to a dual focus. Outside of an NCAA championship, which is the top drawing event in ever sport and at every division, no one can show a top drawing tournament, even with 300 athletes competing and a handful of All-Americans that can meet in one event, the fan attendance is horrible. With Penn State drawing so well, and PA being a hot bed for wrestling junkies (and PA kids that have gone elsewhere to wrestling in college coming back to compete) you'd think the Nittany Lion Open would be packed with fans and they wouldn't be able to have Ten Mats on the floor because they would need to pull out more bleechers to hold all the fans wanting to see tournaments.

But that isn't the case. Fans don't attend opens and tournaments they attend duals and the NCAAs. They will always attend the NCAAs and to think that moving to a dual focus would stop people from wanting to show up to a NCAA championship is crazy.

Why is it so important to you for the NCAA to call the champion the winner of the Duals vs the NCAA Tournament.

I don't think it really does matter to anyone that reads this forum. But it does matter to the mainstream media, and the goal here is coverage. National Duals could have been live on BTN cable last night; instead, they covered hockey. :|

* response to mlbruem posting about the regional round at Mizzou.

1) Coach Smith is one of the top coaches in the country as he has guided Missouri wrestling the past 10-15 years and he has done much of that with marketing. He obviously felt high school wrestlers, parents, fans, etc...would stay in Columbia to watch the day after the state tournament. He publicized it heavily throughout the state to all media outlets, high schools, and youth wrestling clubs. For whatever reason, it didn't work, but I would hope that people commend him for the efforts and strategies behind his ideas....over all his years at MIZ ZOU.

2) Each host site had to write a BIG check to the NWCA in order to get the rights to host a portion of Mat Mayhem. Therefore, those universities had to charge people for attendance. If football is your sport, you'll spend 3-4 times that amount. If it's basketball, you'll double your cost for seeing a single game. Non-revenue sports' budgets are stretched very thin when they are calculated each year.

3) My company is the designer, producer, printer and seller of The Beast. We partnered with the NWCA to do the Mat Mayhem event programs at its conception last year and also did them this year. Whether you choose to understand the cost to produce such books or not ($7-$8), I don't know. But, the program is a 48-page, full color guidebook with pictures of wrestlers, rankings from three polls, action photos, line-ups, individual wins/losses versus possible opponents in Mat Mayhem, and much more. The only advertisements in the program are those corporate sponsors who generously support the NWCA and a few university wrestling camps. If you, mlbruem, bought a program for $10 and do not think it is or was worth the money, please contact me at staff@thebeast.biz and I will refund you the money. Concession stand prices have always been high at any sporting arena, college or professional, and that is why you eat a good, big meal prior to the event.

4) You are 100% correct, in my opinion.

5) Wrestling definitely needs to add some of these elements that football and basketball has in order to increase excitement and entertainment value. Cheerleaders and pep band members have friends and family and they like to go watch them perform. This is part of the reason the wrestling and gymnastic teams partner up for Beauty and the Beast.

6) Addressed in No. 1, but yes, it's tough to go through 3 days/nights of high school states and then go to the college event on Sunday. It was a great thought on Coach Smith's part, but it didn't play out as he had hoped.

Thank you,

Dane Ulrich

www.TheBeast.biz

by mlbruem » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:48 am

I was at the Mizzou regional & several factors that were disturbing

1. Yes the 10AM Sunday start not good

2. Ticket price $15.00 adult - they charged $10.00 each for my 3yr old and 2yr old grandsons

3. Programs $10.00 each - consessions prices rediculous

4. Then the teams did not put out the best lineups possible avoiding ranked matchups that would have been great to see - even leaving some weights open

5. Zero addl entertainment value such as cheerleaders,mascots or band - the Maryland guy was it heck better than nothing

6. Bad timing as high school state wrestling championships were thursday through saturday night & people were wrestled out

We wonder why we only have the DIEHARDS such as myself and my sons at these events!!!!

mlbruem