Sign in to follow this  
HokieFan

Early season impressions of VT and a look at the MO dual

So far the Hokies have seen Stanford, UTC, CMU and some individual matchups at the journeyman classic and the Hokie Open.  There are lots of new faces in the lineup and some are looking encouraging while others are predictably taking some lumps.  Some of the veterans got off to rocky starts but came back solid this weekend.

125 - Norstrem is off to a 7-3 start.  He had 2 fairly close losses to Piccininni and Schram and avenged his other loss by MD.  He's looking like a qualifier to me. He has a big test this weekend in McGhee.

133 - Gustafson is 8-1 with a win over Terao and a loss to Parker in OT.  He's looking determined to make something out of his senior year.  We'll know more after the Erneste match this weekend.

141 - Moore is 5-5 and struggling a little.  He's had trouble getting off bottom and qualifying is looking like a longshot at this point. I expect another tough match for him with Eierman.

149 - Chishko is 5-1 and has looked disinterested at times this year.  I didn't see the Martinez match but I watched him beat Oliver yesterday.  No reason to think he won't be there in March and get that 3rd AA. I don't know anything about MO's guy here but expect another close match.

157 - Blees has been injured after winning the wrestle off and LaPade has taken over the spot for now.  He just took out Heffernan yesterday and looked solid.  Not too excited about his chances against Lavallee this weekend.

165 - McFadden is 10-0 with a nice win over Rogers. If he wrestles like this in March, he'll be a 2 time AA. He gets Flynn this weekend and the Hokies will need him in this one.

174 - Bolen is 3-3 but has shown some flashes of promise.  He was close to taking out Brucki yesterday.  Getting qualified for Nationals looks to be a challenge.  A very tough road this weekend with Lewis.

184 - Zavatsky is 8-2 with close losses to Reenan and Preisch.  He looked to be off to a slow start but came back with 2 nice wins this weekend against Carr and Ellingwood.  I'm still bullish on him to get that 1st AA this year. Is MO's guy injured here?  I see he has a 0-0 record on wrestlestat.  Either way ZZ should be favored and the Hokies will definitely need a win here.

197 - Haught is 6-0 and has looked pretty much like Haught.  I'm not sure he has anything for Moore but I like him against everyone else.  Big match with Miklus this weekend.

285 -  Dunn is 9-2 and seems to get better and better each match.  His top game has looked good at times and he's agile for a big fella.  His best win is over Boykin of NC State.  I think he qualifies for Nationals easily .He'll get Myers this weekend.

Since I'm an unapologetic homer, I'm calling the upset in the dual this weekend.  I think VT matches up pretty well but need an upset at 125 or 133 to offset probable bonus points by MO's hammers.  On the other hand, the Hokies will be looking for bonus out of Zavatsky and maybe McFadden (Especially if MO sends out a backup at 184).

125 -  McGhee by decision. 3-0 MO

133 -  I will take the upset here.  Gustafson gets the Hokies on the board. 3-3

141 - Eireman by major decision.  7-3 MO

149 - Chishko by decision. 7-6 MO

157 - Lavallee by major.  11-6 MO

165 - McFadden by decision.  11-9 MO

174 - Lewis by major.  15-9 MO

184 - ZZ with a decision and possible bonus if it's a backup.  15 - 12 MO

197 - Haught with a big decision over Miklus.  15 - 15

285 - Dunn clinches the win for the Hokies.  18 - 15 VT.

McGhee is wrestling well, usually about the time he inexplicably loses.  I think your chances here are better than 133.

Erneste is very dangerous and solid.  I think he gets the w.

Eierman scores in bunches on overmatched opponents.  A major is the best you can hope for.

Leeth/Butler is up in the air.  Either way, I think Chisko gets the w.

A major is the best you can hope for against Lavallee.

Flynn is tough, but I think McFadden gets the w.

A major is the best you can hope for against Lewis.

ZZ will beat either Marriott or Koelling, but I think bonus is unlikely.

I believe Haught will get the w in a toss-up match.

Myers has yet to beat someone he shouldn't.  Dunn gets the w in a toss-up.

If everything goes VT's way, I agree that they will win.  Mizzou needs McGhee or Flynn or Miklus or Myers to win, or pins from Eierman, Lavallee, and Lewis.  Should be a great dual!

The best part about this dual is that it is being streamed live on ESPN3! Great matchup on paper, two top 10 programs and two of the programs I respect and root for the most. I said Lehigh/Michigan could be the best dual of the early season and that ended up being pretty one sided, dont think this one will be tho.

125: Norstrem vs McGhee:  McGhee just doesnt seem to be the guy he was two years ago for whatever reason, Norstrem is very young and still improving. McGhee probably slight favorite but I wouldnt be at all surprised if Norstrem wins here.

133: Gustafson vs Erneste: One of the best matchups of the dual, a senior who seems to have turned a corner and wrestling his best right now vs another non big name recruit that Missouri turns into a top 10 wrestler. Erneste favored on paper but again wouldnt be shocked by a Gustafson win. Both guys wrestling well right now.

141: Moore vs Eierman: One of the bigger mismatches of the dual, Eierman is a stud fresh off winning a tournament with a tough field and Moore is a freshmen taking some early career lumps. Bonus points definitely feel possible here for Missouri.

149: Chishko vs ?: Not exactly sure who Missouri will roll out but probably doesnt matter. Chishko is solid and wont lose but he probably wont light up the scoreboard either. Dont think this one is ever in doubt but also dont see bonus for VT.

157: LaPrade vs Lavalle: LaPrade is coming off a very nice win over a top 10ish opponent, which is impressive and probably helps his confidence, but Lavalle is on another level. He really turned a corner last year and hasnt looked back since, bonus possible here for Missouri.

165: McFadden vs Flynn: As others have said, Flynn is tough but again not on McFadden's level. Maybe bonus here?

174: Bolen vs Lewis: Bolen is being thrown to the wolves a bit here, true freshmen vs the 2x AA Lewis, he will have his work cut out for him just trying to stay out of that cradle. Bonus possible and maybe probable here for Missouri

184: Zavatsky vs ?: Again not positive who Missouri uses here, but dont think it matters. "ZZ Top" has that nickname for a reason, his top game is great and I could see a chance for VT to make up some bonus points in this one.

197: Haught vs Miklus: Match of the dual, #2 vs #3 in the country, doesnt get much better than that. Miklus maybe a little rusty in his first year back from injury, and I'm sure he's got a bad taste in his mouth after being majored by a true freshmen. Haught is solid but not spectacular. Preseason I would have picked Miklus, but based on recent performance I'm not so sure.

285: Dunn vs Myers: A battled of unranked heavyweights, both had stellar high school careers but neither really broken thru yet in college but both still young too. Could see this one going either way but leaning toward Dunn.

I have Missouri favored but certainly not a lock. Should be a great dual.

Wrestle Stat has Virginia Tech winning 19 to 16.

They have - Va Tech winning 125, 133, 149, 165 and 285 by decision and 184 by Major. Missouri winning 141 and 157 by major , 174 by tech and 197 decision.

I disagree feel MU will win a couple of the close decisions they have going to VA Tech while loosing the decision at 197 and getting pins at 141 and 174.

MU wins 23 to 16

Wrestle Stat has Virginia Tech winning 19 to 16.

They have - Va Tech winning 125, 133, 149, 165 and 285 by decision and 184 by Major. Missouri winning 141 and 157 by major , 174 by tech and 197 decision.

I disagree feel MU will win a couple of the close decisions they have going to VA Tech while loosing the decision at 197 and getting pins at 141 and 174.

MU wins 23 to 16

Certainly possible. I feel almost as confident in your picks as mine, even though they are pretty different

MA_Wrestler

Agree with the vast majority of your assessment. Well written !

However, if Missouri gets falls from either Eierman or Lewis (both may happen), this swings the dual in The Tigers favor.

Should be a great Dual with several intriguing & competitive matches !

My predictions:

125: McGhee dec. Norstrem, MIZ 3 VT 0

I feel like this is one of those matchups where McGhee has the slight upperhand now, but Norstrem would win later in the season. Regardless it'll be close.

133: Gustafson dec. Erneste, MIZ 3 VT 3

Gustafson's been wrestling great and I give him the slight edge here thinking he'll capitalize on a few Erneste mistakes. Tossup

141: Eierman tf. Moore, MIZ 8 VT 3

Eierman will be working for the pin all day here, but I think he doesn't quite get it.

149: Chishko dec. Leeth, MIZ 8 VT 6

Chishko will show why he's a multiple-time AA here, but Leeth is no slouch. I predict a relatively close match scorewise.

157: Lavallee dec. LaPrade, MIZ 11 VT 6

Lavallee will decisively control the match but I think it'll be just shy of a major.

165: McFadden mdec. Flynn, MIZ 11 VT 10

McFadden is a stud and I think he's gonna be trading matches with guys in the top 3 this year.

174: Lewis pin Bolen, MIZ 17 VT 10

Bolen is outmatched here, and Lewis is just so good on top that I think he'll get the pin.

184: Zavatsky mdec. Marriott, MIZ 17 VT 14

Zavatsky's shown how good he is and will be a tough match for freshman Marriott.

197: Haught dec. Miklus, MIZ 17 VT 17

I'm a huge Miklus fan and have faith he'll be in top form by the end of the season, but right now he seems to be shaking off some rust after last season's injury. I wouldn't be surprised if this match isn't as close as some may think.

285: Myers dec. Dunn, MIZ 20 VT 17

I think this match is one of the biggest tossups of the dual. Both wrestlers seem to be very even results-wise. Since it's so even, I'll just go homer and pick Myers. Who knows.

Tossups to watch: 125, 133, 285

Bonus to watch for: Eierman, Lavallee, and Lewis will be going up against McFadden and Zavatsky

I haven't watched Gustafson, but if he shoots a single he damn well better finish clean or Erneste will make him regret it.  I think stylistically, the best chance against Erneste is someone with a really good double from space.  Unless that describes Gustafson, my money is solidly on Erneste.

Match starts at 6 eastern on ESPN 3.

7/10 have an AA wrestling

All have a qualifier

4 are toss ups

All but heavyweight have somebody ranked

Missouri is technically favored in 6/10

You don’t get duals this even very often. I hope everyone sends out their best lineup.

Would imagine Mizzou goes with Leeth at 149. He won the wrestle off and I believe he beat Butler at an open. If so it'll be a rematch of an old Super 32 final where Chishko actually got injured, thus giving Leeth the belt 

Would imagine Mizzou goes with Leeth at 149. He won the wrestle off and I believe he beat Butler at an open. If so it'll be a rematch of an old Super 32 final where Chishko actually got injured, thus giving Leeth the belt

I hope Leeth becomes what everyone hoped he’d be when we watched him in HS.

I don’t think he wins today however.

The press release "match notes" show Leeth at 149.

I hope Leeth becomes what everyone hoped he’d be when we watched him in HS.

I don’t think he wins today however.

He has had quite a tough road to get back. Had a solid year at Duke, then transferred to Mizzou and picked up some serious injuries. Hopefully can stay healthy