Awsome Sumo Technique

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 akaoni

akaoni
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

It's me posting Sumo again.  I know it's slightly off-topic, but I know there are others around here who appreciate the sport.

There was a great winning technique in a Sumo bout from today's Kyushu Grand Tournament.  Terutsuyoshi threw his much bigger opponent with what looked like an Ipponzeoi (one-armed shoulder throw) but was later called Koshinage (equally rare hip throw).  Great sumo for anyone interested.  https://youtu.be/YPTYdwz3VXs?t=10s

• gutfirst and pipewrench like this

#2 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,354 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:43 PM

I love your sumo posts and hope you'll keep contributing.

• Gantry and cjc007 like this

#3 gutfirst

gutfirst

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:07 AM

the reverse arm throw in the first match is clever. haven't seen to many sumo matches with a guy getting his head stuck underneath.

#4 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,291 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:17 AM

I lived in Nippon for three years I loved Sumo. I can't remember seeing a reverse arm throw.

#5 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:49 AM

I love your sumo posts and hope you'll keep contributing.

Cosign...

#6 Workers` Wrestling

Workers` Wrestling
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:34 AM

Great, that`s generally a rare arm throw in wrestling.

#7 WildTurkey44

WildTurkey44

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:02 AM

Do these sumo wrestlers have day jobs? Just curious

Edited by WildTurkey44, 23 November 2017 - 07:05 AM.

#8 tommytechnique

tommytechnique

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 01:18 PM

I like the sumo posts also...

#9 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,354 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 01:50 PM

Do these sumo wrestlers have day jobs? Just curious

Depends on rank (how accomplished they are), but generally, if you are in a stable (a "club", in wrestlingspeak, I suppose) and are ranked, no. The top guys make a very good living and are treated with great respect. 

Here is a link with dated but still directionarlly correct information: http://www.lemondedu...?mag=mds&num=16

Note the salaries listed there are monthly. Most American wrestlers would kill to be even in the bottom tier of that earnings schedule.

Edited by wrestlingnerd, 26 November 2017 - 01:57 PM.

• akaoni likes this

#10 akaoni

akaoni
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:10 PM

Generally, all rikishi (sumo wrestlers) belong to a stable or sumo beya.  Young sumo wrestlers enter the heya and will stay there for the entirety of their careers.  They have responsibilities like cooking, cleaning, and caring for the senior rikishi of the heya.  Junior rikishi live in dormitory-style accomodations.  I believe high ranking and married rikishi can live seperate from the sumo beya.  

Each sumo-beya is headed by an Oyakata who generally is a former high-ranked rikishi who now trains and cares for lower-ranked rikishi.  Currently there are a couple of stables headed by non-japanese: Narutobeya headed by Bulgarian former rikishi Kotoushuu and Musashigawa-beya headed by former American Yokozuna: Musashimaru.  

As wrestlingnerd indicates above high ranking rikishi (Juryo level and above) receive good salaries; lower-ranked sumo wrestlers do not earn all that much, however their daily expenses are paid.  As they work their way up (and possibly attain seniority) they get better stipend and better jobs in the heya.  

Edited by akaoni, 26 November 2017 - 04:17 PM.

#11 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,673 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:26 AM

Love these posts. I am slowing starting to understand Sumo because of you. Thanks.

#12 WildTurkey44

WildTurkey44

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:40 AM

Good info. Thanks

#13 powershouse

powershouse

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 716 posts