Sign in to follow this  
akaoni

Awsome Sumo Technique

It's me posting Sumo again.  I know it's slightly off-topic, but I know there are others around here who appreciate the sport.

There was a great winning technique in a Sumo bout from today's Kyushu Grand Tournament.  Terutsuyoshi threw his much bigger opponent with what looked like an Ipponzeoi (one-armed shoulder throw) but was later called Koshinage (equally rare hip throw).  Great sumo for anyone interested.  https://youtu.be/YPTYdwz3VXs?t=10s

Do these sumo wrestlers have day jobs? Just curious

Depends on rank (how accomplished they are), but generally, if you are in a stable (a "club", in wrestlingspeak, I suppose) and are ranked, no. The top guys make a very good living and are treated with great respect. 

Here is a link with dated but still directionarlly correct information: http://www.lemondedusumo.com/english/MDS16_wages.php?mag=mds&num=16

Note the salaries listed there are monthly. Most American wrestlers would kill to be even in the bottom tier of that earnings schedule.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Generally, all rikishi (sumo wrestlers) belong to a stable or sumo beya.  Young sumo wrestlers enter the heya and will stay there for the entirety of their careers.  They have responsibilities like cooking, cleaning, and caring for the senior rikishi of the heya.  Junior rikishi live in dormitory-style accomodations.  I believe high ranking and married rikishi can live seperate from the sumo beya.  

Each sumo-beya is headed by an Oyakata who generally is a former high-ranked rikishi who now trains and cares for lower-ranked rikishi.  Currently there are a couple of stables headed by non-japanese: Narutobeya headed by Bulgarian former rikishi Kotoushuu and Musashigawa-beya headed by former American Yokozuna: Musashimaru.  

As wrestlingnerd indicates above high ranking rikishi (Juryo level and above) receive good salaries; lower-ranked sumo wrestlers do not earn all that much, however their daily expenses are paid.  As they work their way up (and possibly attain seniority) they get better stipend and better jobs in the heya.  

Edited by akaoni