Sign in to follow this  
Peso

Ivan Yarygin look alike

I was just watching The Ingraham Angle, and one of her guests looks a lot like Ivan Yarygin, the great Russian Wrestler and Amazing Wrestling Coach.  He is better known for his role on The Hill, but John Soloman looks more like Ivan, than Ivan does, lol.

I know how irrelevant this may seem, but so some of the young guns understand what Ivan was.  Just one example.  In 1972, when our hero, Dan Gable won without being scored on, was during the 9 minute match rule set.  Dan won 

Fall

Fall

Fall

11-0

6-0

3-0 if my memory is correct.  Ivan was on the mat for a little over 7 minutes when he won his gold a few minutes later.  He was someone we are glad we got to witness.  Just sayin

Edited by Peso

I was just watching The Ingraham Angle, and one of her guests looks a lot like Ivan Yarygin, the great Russian Wrestler and Amazing Wrestling Coach. He is better known for his role on The Hill, but John Soloman looks more like Ivan, than Ivan does, lol.

I know how irrelevant this may seem, but so some of the young guns understand what Ivan was. Just one example. In 1972, when our hero, Dan Gable won without being scored on, was during the 9 minute match rule set. Dan won

Fall

Fall

Fall

11-0

6-0

3-0 if my memory is correct. Ivan was on the mat for a little over 7 minutes when he won his gold a few minutes later. He was someone we are glad we got to witness. Just sayin

It was seven matches in about 14 minutes. His wiki site says seven but the more accurate wiki Olympics site has the exact match times and 14 minutes is closer. I bring up Yarygins performance every time somebody says Gables was the best performance ever. Edited by sgallan

Thank you for the correction.  That was in fact where I got my info.  I should know better. You can see Yarygin sitting in the corner coaching when you see this guys mug.  Hair color, everything just like Ivan.  

Thank you for the correction.  That was in fact where I got my info.  I should know better. You can see Yarygin sitting in the corner coaching when you see this guys mug.  Hair color, everything just like Ivan.  

I am amused at how 7 matches and 14 minutes isn't good enough that somebody had to have the wiki reference say 7 minutes instead. Seriously, pinning though an Olympic games in about 2 minutes a match isn't good enough? ;)

I went and looked at some videos of Yarygin and watched him utterly dominate Russ Hellickson at the World Cup in Toledo.  Interesting little story, but my HS coach used to go to the World Cup every year up in Toledo.  He would always bring a bunch of blue jeans and trade those with the Soviet wrestlers in exchange for wrestling shoes, warm ups and such.  The pair of shoes he got looked similar to the ones Yarygin was wearing in the video.  I remember the circle on the side and they were all leather, including the sole.  My coach was a tall man and probably traded with one of the larger Russians, which makes me wonder if he has Yarygin's shoes.  I will have to ask him next time I see him to see if he remembers who he traded with.   They looked similar to these if memory serves.  8389798108_f3b60e0220_b.jpg

Edited by jeffr_ideal

I texted my coaches daughter today and she asked her dad if he remembers who he got the shoes from and confirmed, he traded with Yarygin.  They are going to get the shoes out and send me some pictures.  My coach was probably also coaching Bob Golic in HS at the time he got the shoes.   I am trying to confirm the year he got the shoes.  

Edited by jeffr_ideal

while we are snearing at gables legacy in favor of yarygin, which one was on an enormous of steroids?

Yarygin didn't look any bigger than Gable during his competitive days, relatively speaking.

Yarygin was taller and had much better technique than his opponents.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by cjc007

I don`t buy Yarygin and steroids claim since 1976 Olympics in Montreal were the last clean games. We can start questioning things afterwards...

you're silly if you think it took until AFTER 1976 for olympic and other athletes to start using PEDs.  The first anabolics were developed in the early 50s.

you're silly if you think it took until AFTER 1976 for olympic and other athletes to start using PEDs. The first anabolics were developed in the early 50s.

The East German women's track and field team used steroids heavily before, during, and after the 72 Olympics.

I didn't see anyone sneering about Gable.  When I said our hero Dan Gable, I was referring to just about every living soul in the wrestling world.  Yarygin may have been even better, but Dan the man was amazing in 72.

I didn't see anyone sneering about Gable. When I said our hero Dan Gable, I was referring to just about every living soul in the wrestling world. Yarygin may have been even better, but Dan the man was amazing in 72.

Yarygin was better than Dan the Man in 72. Yarygin is the Yeti!

I started following Dan in about 1970.  It was back in the 8 minute era.  By any measure what he  did for wrestling merely as an athlete was huge.  His Coaching influence even more incredible, but make no mistake about it, he had a cult following that I've yet to see equaled.  As a youth in Oklahoma, I had plenty of wrestling heroes, with the Kellers, and Fujita, Wayne Wells and Gary Breece, but the way Gable was just devastating everyone with his unequaled (as it was billed) work ethic and drive was mesmerizing    I MAY give Yarygin the nod, but anyone that thinks I don't appreciate just how special Dan Gable was, has misinterpreted my position.  

I started following Dan in about 1970. It was back in the 8 minute era. By any measure what he did for wrestling merely as an athlete was huge. His Coaching influence even more incredible, but make no mistake about it, he had a cult following that I've yet to see equaled. As a youth in Oklahoma, I had plenty of wrestling heroes, with the Kellers, and Fujita, Wayne Wells and Gary Breece, but the way Gable was just devastating everyone with his unequaled (as it was billed) work ethic and drive was mesmerizing I MAY give Yarygin the nod, but anyone that thinks I don't appreciate just how special Dan Gable was, has misinterpreted my position.

Dan Gable is a wrestling icon. But he's not the best ever. That's was my subtle point.