Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

Post College Guys in Opens

I was just up at the Embry-Riddle Open last week helping coach a wrestler from the club I help out with.  In the bracket was former UFC and WEC World Champion Ben Henderson.  He wrestled at 184 lbs and did pretty well, and took 2nd losing by tech fall in the finals to Nick Fiegener.  Also former UFC championship contender and ASU wrestler John Moraga placed 5th at his weight class.  Pretty interesting to see these guys do that.  Are there any other opens who have guys like that come out for them?

In fairness, there is a lot more/any $ involved in the MMA cuts, so there isn't only more motivation, but more resources, experts, drugs, etc, to devote to the process. So, I guess what I mean this that we know the same, and don't have thousands of dollars to invest in the process. 

It's not just that. The main difference is >24 hours to recover. That's what allows the hellacious cuts more than anything else.

My god, that dude cuts a ton of weight for UFC fights if he's wrestling 184 in his leisure time

I don't think he was a true 184, he was probably a little closer to 180 or 170 something.  The guy he wrestled in the finals dwarfed him and was a big 184 and a returning D2 AA.  Henderson does have some incredible cardio though.  He looked like he was just drilling in his first match.  I think there were 4 guys from Henderon's gym who wrestled there, one other was Mike Hamel who had won a national title wrestling at GCU during their transition period when they wrestled in the NWCA for a year.  He took 3rd.  I think he might have been a D2 AA as well but I don't remember.  

Aside from the 24 hour weigh-in time (since I believe we also had that 'luxury' for freestyle/Greco until recently), and the amount of money poured into nutritionists and dieticians, MMA fighters can afford to cut more weight since they fight much less frequent compared to wrestlers and their competition, especially the college grind.

Aside from the 24 hour weigh-in time (since I believe we also had that 'luxury' for freestyle/Greco until recently), and the amount of money poured into nutritionists and dieticians, MMA fighters can afford to cut more weight since they fight much less frequent compared to wrestlers and their competition, especially the college grind.

This is a great point. These top level mma fighters have a team of trainers, doctors, and nutrionists monitoring their individual weight cuts.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

except for the guy who cut 45 lbs in one week and ended up in the hospital. He is lucky he woke up. I get your point and agree with it - but there is a limit to that. 

except for the guy who cut 45 lbs in one week and ended up in the hospital. He is lucky he woke up. I get your point and agree with it - but there is a limit to that. 

I cut 20 pounds in a week to wrestle the defending 2 X state champ when I was a Jr. I walked out on the other end of a 15-4 thrashing! That was the last time I pulled, and I was back wrestling 178 the next week.

I cut 20 pounds in a week to wrestle the defending 2 X state champ when I was a Jr. I walked out on the other end of a 15-4 thrashing! That was the last time I pulled, and I was back wrestling 178 the next week.

Those weight cuts were always fun. Cut tons of weight just so u could get your butt whipped!

Change "MMA fighters" to "world level wrestlers" and the point is the same. Geduev won the Silver Medal in Rio at 74kg and will struggle to make 79kg on the same day weigh-in. 

Who's the guy? I heard of RDA, Kevin Lee, and Whittaker cutting over 30 pounds to make weight, but they are the top of the top and have the access to the UFC'S dieticians and nutrictionists (along with their own). Regional-level fighters typically don't, which makes their cuts so much more dangerous (lack of knowledge, perhaps). That's why I'm in favor of banning weightcutting, or modifying it so that people don't cut nearly 20% of their body mass.

Who's the guy? I heard of RDA, Kevin Lee, and Whittaker cutting over 30 pounds to make weight, but they are the top of the top and have the access to the UFC'S dieticians and nutrictionists (along with their own). Regional-level fighters typically don't, which makes their cuts so much more dangerous (lack of knowledge, perhaps). That's why I'm in favor of banning weightcutting, or modifying it so that people don't cut nearly 20% of their body mass.

I’m not necessarily against weight cutting, but I’m certainly in favor of instating a limit to which a fighter can enter the cage the next day. Something like 5-7 pounds so people aren’t pulling so dang much.

Those weight cuts were always fun. Cut tons of weight just so u could get your butt whipped!

Yeah. That was brutal. Plus I was out of shape since I'd been playing football, so I wasn't in wrestling shape. It was my first dual of the season and I dropped from 188 to 168 in a week. The next year we made it deep into the playoffs and I barely beat a mediocre guy from the same school as the champ and barely won, 10-9. There's such a huge difference between football/wrestling conditioning. My cardio was absolute garbage.

I’m not necessarily against weight cutting, but I’m certainly in favor of instating a limit to which a fighter can enter the cage the next day. Something like 5-7 pounds so people aren’t pulling so dang much.

That’s very unlikely due to the increased risk of brain damage, and I really hope it never happens. Severe dehydration reduces the amount of fluid in the brain and makes damage more likely. Giving guys 5-7 lbs might stop the guy cutting 30-35 lbs but the guys cutting 15-25 lbs will still cut, recover partially, and hope that the effects of their more modest cut will be offset by their relative strength gain over smaller opponents... at increased risk of brain injury.

I think MMA should require the fighters to wear comicly oversized/padded headgear to protect from injuries. Also the gloves should be hugely oversized and padded as well. Plus the wrestlers should be drugged, heavily, before the match to prevent them from possibly feeling any pain during the fight.

Yeah. That was brutal. Plus I was out of shape since I'd been playing football, so I wasn't in wrestling shape. It was my first dual of the season and I dropped from 188 to 168 in a week. The next year we made it deep into the playoffs and I barely beat a mediocre guy from the same school as the champ and barely won, 10-9. There's such a huge difference between football/wrestling conditioning. My cardio was absolute garbage.

Football players who don't wrestle HATE hearing that.

Football players who don't wrestle HATE hearing that.

very true.

lol...football guys(who would act tough) would come into the room during their off season and get destroyed. 

I do remember every year of wrestling tryouts in HS, football players would show up thinking it would be easy.  I think out of maybe 30+ who tried out, only 2-3 ever made it.

Edited by CA_Wrestler