Sign in to follow this  
Stuart1

Iowa Vs Rutgers

WrestleStat.com has RU winning 24-11. The have 5 matches decided by 1 or 2 pts and 4 matches via bonus. Intetesting that they have Lewis losing by 5!! They do not have Ashnault listed but who knows? We’ll see in 12 days!

Without Ashnault in the lineup it will be tough for RU to win this.  I think 141 is still a swing bout with Van Brill being a solid fill in this year.  If RU can win 141, Deluca keep it to only a MD against Sorensen and Lewis upset Krem RU has a chance.  That's a lot to have to go right though.  I'm guessing Marinelli will be back in the lineup for IA by this point too which will make things tougher.

Personally though I'm glad to hear Ashnault might get another year of eligibility and be able to rest up and heal for one last push towards a NC next season.  It seems like he's been competing banged up for the last couple of years.

My breakdown:

125: Suriano TF Stickley (RU 5, IA 0)

133: Delvecchio Dec Laux (RU 8, IA 0)

141: Turk Dec. Van Brill (RU 8, IA 3)

149: Sorenson TF Deluca (RU 8, IA 8)

157: Lewis Dec. Krem (RU 11, IA 8)

165: Marinelli MD Van Brill (RU 11, IA 12)

174: Gunther Dec. Pagano (RU 11, IA 15)

184: Gravina Dec. Bowman (RU 14, IA 15)

197: Wilcke Dec. Mulligan (RU 14, IA 18)

HWT: Stoll Dec. Gross (RU 14, IA 21)

With Ashnault at 141 that would have probably been a MD at that weight and swung the bout in RU's favor.  With any luck who knows maybe they can still gut out 141 and pull an upset here or there at 174 or HWT.

Edited by Juanma25

Not sure of the terminology but the kid from South Plainfield, NJ, is not wrestling this year and will be granted another year of eligibility by the NCAA.

Rutgers is really good at obtaining waivers.  To my knowledge, Ashnault was only injured 1 year. 

I’ve been pretty impressed with little Van Brill so far and from interviews both Goodale and Ashnault have been very high on him as well going into the season. Haven’t seen enough of Turk to give him a definitive win there so i might call it a swing match for now. I don’t know if pagano will be starting for Rutgers, i saw he lost to a teammate in the finals of a tournament recently

Without Ashnault in the lineup it will be tough for RU to win this.  I think 141 is still a swing bout with Van Brill being a solid fill in this year.  If RU can win 141, Deluca keep it to only a MD against Sorensen and Lewis upset Krem RU has a chance.  That's a lot to have to go right though.  I'm guessing Marinelli will be back in the lineup for IA by this point too which will make things tougher.

Personally though I'm glad to hear Ashnault might get another year of eligibility and be able to rest up and heal for one last push towards a NC next season.  It seems like he's been competing banged up for the last couple of years.

My breakdown:

125: Suriano TF Stickley (RU 5, IA 0)

133: Delvecchio Dec Laux (RU 8, IA 0)

141: Turk Dec. Van Brill (RU 8, IA 3)

149: Sorenson TF Deluca (RU 8, IA 8)

157: Lewis Dec. Krem (RU 11, IA 8)

165: Marinelli MD Van Brill (RU 11, IA 12)

174: Gunther Dec. Pagano (RU 11, IA 15)

184: Gravina Dec. Bowman (RU 14, IA 15)

197: Wilcke Dec. Mulligan (RU 14, IA 18)

HWT: Stoll Dec. Gross (RU 14, IA 21)

With Ashnault at 141 that would have probably been a MD at that weight and swung the bout in RU's favor.  With any luck who knows maybe they can still gut out 141 and pull an upset here or there at 174 or HWT.

Van Brill is a great fill in for 141 and honestly I can see him winning; he is super tough and is always in the match. You also have to remember how Van Brill beat Kevin Jack at Universities, granted it was freestyle. In the end it will be a great match.

Definitely agree Van Brill is a solid 141.  Both Van Brills are scrappy wrestlers that come to compete.  I have also been pretty pumped about Deluca who also looks like a solid 149 lber.  Wasn't sure what to expect out of that weight with Giraldo deciding not come out for the team this year.

Good point about Grello beating Pagano recently.  They must be somewhat familiar with each other if they're only a few years apart and both coming from BC.

Stole your format. My picks:

125: Suriano pin Stickley (RU 6, IA 0) - Suriano knows Rutgers needs the points and Stickley has been pinned a few time this year. I think Suriano wears him down and gets the pin late. 

133: Delvecchio MD Laux (RU 10, IA 0) - Delvecchio is looking better than expected. Could be regular decision if Laux wrestles conservitively

141:  Van Brill dec Turk (RU 13, IA 0) - Turk will hit a double, but Van Brill has excellent reversals and takedowns. 

149: Sorenson MD Deluca (RU 13, IA 4) - Sorenson rarely TFs anyone and Deluca is borderline top 20

157:  Kem Dec. Lewis (RU 13, IA 7) - Huge Lewis fan, but have to pick Kemerer based on previous results. Kemerer has also looked incredible this year. 

165: Young Dec Van Brill (RU 13, IA 10) - doubt we see Marinelli. He has an MCL injury. It just isn't worth the risk to bring him back yet, especially when Young has been looking solid. Could be wrong.

174: Gunther Dec. Pagano (RU 13, IA 13) - Pagano has looked terrible and Gunther is looking better and better. Could be a MD. 

184: Gravina Dec Bowman (RU 16, IA 13) - Bowman has a solid outling last time, but Gravina is an absolute monster. Gravina will look for the MD and might get it, but he hasn't done so yet this year and definitely was trying to vs Maryland. He also might dislocate his shoulder...

197: Wilcke Dec Mulligan (RU 16, IA 16) - Wilcke is on fire. Mulligan is solid. If Wilcke turns it on, an MD wouldn't be shocking. 

HWT: Stoll Dec. Gross (RU 16, IA 19) - Stoll is hot and cold. He could end up with a pin here. 

Incredibly close dual. One upset and Rutgers could win. 

141, 157, 165, 174 and 197 are close enough to go either way. 

This is also at Rutgers, so the refs won't cheat for Iowa like they did vs Rider. 

Can't wait for this one! 

Edited by Housebuye

He should have been ready!! Martinez wrestled for Illinois in their dual against Iowa. Hope they are on their “A” game and rebound from the Lock Haven dual. Maybe move Gravina up again? Maybe try something different at 285?