• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#21 lu_alum

lu_alum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:39 AM

Also, this dual will be held at a sold out PPL Center making it the largest crowd in Lehigh history. Not on campus.

I'd love to see Preisch pull off the upset as well.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Ditto that.  Preisch has shown the ability to wrestle well against top competition (knocked off #1 Epperly in the VaTech dual last year).  But if money were on the line, I don't know that I can make the bet against Nickal. 

• DuckFor2 likes this

#22 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:43 AM

Cruz WBF
Parker MAJ
Karam Dec
Kutler Dec

Zain WBF
Nolf TF
Joseph Dec
Nickal Dec
Cassar Dec
Nevills Dec

PSU 23-16

I think PSU gets bonus points out of Nickal, Cassar and Nevills. I think Hall pins Kutler. I think Cortez beats Karam comfortably as well. I'm rather surprised you are picking Kutler over Hall.

#23 pamela

pamela

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:51 AM

Is Jon Mele a relative of Levi Mele? Was wondering because I think Levi was considering at Lehigh and Northwestern (and Stanford) before landing at NU.

#24 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:01 AM

Is Jon Mele a relative of Levi Mele? Was wondering because I think Levi was considering at Lehigh and Northwestern (and Stanford) before landing at NU.

Not unless it's a distant relative. I never heard anyone mention it.

And I'm FB friends with both and they don't show up on each other's lists.

• pamela likes this

#25 lu_alum

lu_alum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:01 AM

To my knowledge... Jon is not related to Levi "the Stormin' Mormon" Mele, who had to leave Lehigh due to financial issues following his mission.

Jon is from New Jersey; Levi is from Utah.

Interesting tidbit:  Mike Grey beat Levi Mele in the 2006 Senior Nationals at 125.  Both were committed to Lehigh out of HS; neither ended up matriculating.

• pamela likes this

#26 pamela

pamela

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:08 AM

Thank you!

#27 stonerd7

stonerd7

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:39 AM

Also, this dual will be held at a sold out PPL Center making it the largest crowd in Lehigh history. Not on campus.

I'd love to see Preisch pull off the upset as well.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

As controversial as the takedown may have been in the finals, if Gabe Dean could not knock off Nickal, I do not see Preisch doing it either.

#28 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,475 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:52 AM

Plus Preisch has a history of getting pinned against elite guys when the match is close.  Not the best trait to have when you are trying to beat Bo Nickal. 

• pawrestler and tabenn like this

#29 Flying-Tiger

Flying-Tiger

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,604 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:37 AM

Reason would suggest that Hall should be favored, based on ranking and last year's post-season.  But if they wrestled ten times, I could see if being a 5-5 or 6-4 split.  Kutler wins by a point this weekend.  

Of the current 'big three at 174',  I think Kutler matches up best against Hall.  I could see Valencia's and BoJo's size being too much for him.

imho, Kutler would have been top four at 157 last year had he not outgrew the class. 

Career records:  Kutler is 19-1; Hall is 39-3

I'm not sure what the point is off posting records when Kutler didn't wrestle at NCAAs and had 12 less matches overall. How many more losses if he wrestled several more times including NCAAs? Bottom line is Hall is a NCAA Champion and Kutler didn't even participate. This match won't be that close, Hall is a bad matchup for Kutler (and most others) and will win by several if not by Fall.  

Edited by Flying-Tiger, 29 November 2017 - 06:40 AM.

• tightwaist and tabenn like this
A Kinder, Gentler Machine Gun Hand

#30 cjc007

cjc007

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:08 AM

All of that is possible. Lehigh has a very good squad this year, but hard to pick anyone from 149 thru Hwt. as PSU is the favorite at all those weights. But you are correct, there are some that are close enough that they can go Lehigh's way, especially on their campus.

The match is at the new Allentown PPL Arena which is not on campus.

It's going to be a decisive penn state crowd.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#31 cjc007

cjc007

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:09 AM

I don't think Lehigh is a lock at 133, definitely favored, but not a lock.

Parker will hammer the transfer.

#32 RichB

RichB

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:29 AM

So why is Keener eligible in his sixth year?.In 2012-13 he was on the Cent Michigan roster (redshirting behind Sentes).. No hint that he was injured. No mention on either site where he was in 2015-16, but unless he was in military or on a religious mission, the clock should have been running..

#33 tabenn

tabenn

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:41 AM

Parker will hammer the transfer.

I wont predict the outcome, but this sure will be a true test for Keener

#34 IronChef

IronChef

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:34 AM

I predict there will be more Penn State fans than Lehigh fans at this match.

#35 Roadkill

Roadkill

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:43 AM

So why is Keener eligible in his sixth year?.In 2012-13 he was on the Cent Michigan roster (redshirting behind Sentes).. No hint that he was injured. No mention on either site where he was in 2015-16, but unless he was in military or on a religious mission, the clock should have been running..

Qualified for a sixth year.  Redshirted in 12-13 but did not wrestle any matches due to injury, did not compete in 15-16(assuming an injury also).

#36 pennsyrules

pennsyrules

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:46 AM

Didn't Keener medical default out of the Keystone?  Is he ok for the match?

#37 vsnej

vsnej

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,274 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:47 AM

Lehigh only drew 1,181 for Edinboro and 1,755 for then #4 Michigan. 

I remember when Lehigh used to pack Grace for wrestle-offs or at least it seemed like it.

I think you might be right

I Throw... therefore I Know...

#38 NJDan

NJDan

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:04 AM

It seems that this is completely sold out. Is that true?

#39 Frank_Rizzo

Frank_Rizzo

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:12 AM

How times have changed.  I remember matches at Rec Hall about 15 years ago when you could hear a mouse fart. 

• cjc007 likes this

"I don't like the sport of wrestling as you know.  It's a low sport.  And I don't like to see you being low."

#40 lu_alum

lu_alum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:33 AM

Lehigh only drew 1,181 for Edinboro and 1,755 for then #4 Michigan. 

I remember when Lehigh used to pack Grace for wrestle-offs or at least it seemed like it.

I think you might be right

Keep in mind the Edinboro was a lower top-20 opponent on the Friday night before Lehigh-Lafayette.  Friday night for Lehigh-Lafayette is analogous to homecoming at other schools.  A lot of alumni come back for the game, but Friday evening is really the kickoff for the social aspect of the weekend.  Read the Lehigh board & you'll see a lot of complaints about doing Friday-Sunday home duals straddled around the Lehigh-Lafayette Saturday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users