Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Favorite weight class at a past NCAA tourney

This year will have some interesting outcomes among the "big three" at 165 and 174. It got me to thinking about what weight classes I've looked forward to the most at NCAAs in the past.

The top of my list is 157 in 2005 with: (i) top seed Alex Tirapelle; (ii) reigning champ Matt Gentry; (iii) former champ Ryan Bertin; (iv) future champ Trent Paulson; plus an assortment of other dangerous men (Joe Johnson, Jake Percival, C.P. Schlatter, etc.).

Curious to hear other people's favorite weight classes in past NCAAs and why.

Edited by Fletcher

126 1989 is one of my favorite brackets. Two eventual Oly Gold medalists Cross and Tom Brands. 4 guys in top 8 who would end up as NCAA champs at some point Cross (won it in '89), Brands (would move up and win it 3x), Jim Martin (champ in '88), and Kelber (champ in '91). Va boy John Epperly in there for an AA finish. Dog fight from the quarters on.  

Hmmmm. Tough choice. Probably 174 during the Perry/Brown/Storley/Evans era was the most fun, those guys were all so close in ability that the matches were pretty much all nailbiters. Not saying that was the best era for 174, but a fun one because of the parity. Perry was just a hair better than those guys.

Hmmmm. Tough choice. Probably 174 during the Perry/Brown/Storley/Evans era was the most fun, those guys were all so close in ability that the matches were pretty much all nailbiters. Not saying that was the best era for 174, but a fun one because of the parity. Perry was just a hair better than those guys.

They also produced some of the most boring matches

My vote goes to 149 in 2008...talk about a meat grinder...sheesh!!

Brent Metcalf - Iowa 

Bubba Jenkins - Penn State

Jordan Burroughs - Nebraska

Josh Churella - Michigan
Darrion Caldwell - North Carolina State

J.P. O'Connor - Harvard
Dustin Schlatter  - Minnesota

Lance Palmer - Ohio State

Jake Patacsil, - Purdue

Ryan Lang - Northwestern

Adam Hall - Boise state

Bryce Saddoris - Navy

Edited by gromit

Brent Metcalf - Iowa

Josh Churella - Michigan

J.P. O'Connor - Harvard

Dustin Schlatter - Minnesota

Jake Patacsil, - Purdue

Ryan Lang - Northwestern

Adam Hall - Boise state

Bryce Saddoris - Navy

legendary

Brent Metcalf - Iowa 

Josh Churella - Michigan

J.P. O'Connor - Harvard

Jake Patacsil, - Purdue

Ryan Lang - Northwestern

Adam Hall - Boise state

Bryce Saddoris - Navy

That was a crazy bracket.

Brent Metcalf - Iowa

Josh Churella - Michigan

J.P. O'Connor - Harvard

Dustin Schlatter - Minnesota

Jake Patacsil, - Purdue

Ryan Lang - Northwestern

Adam Hall - Boise state

Bryce Saddoris - Navy

I feel like we go over this every year. Although this bracket looking back has some awesome names, it's mostly full of underclassmen who had yet to prove much.

Yojo Uetake's weight class when he was wrestling.

Danny Gable's weight class when he was wrestling.

Mark Schultz's weight class when he was wrestling.

Cael Sanderson's weight class when he was wrestling.

Those were wrestlers I saw on the mat. Others were good but these were wrestlers I would go out of my way to watch.

1981 134

NCAA Champions in bracket

Daryl Burley - Lehigh
Clar Anderson - Auburn
Jim Gibbons - Iowa State
Randy Lewis - Iowa

12 All Americans in their career and 8 Multiple time AA's

Thomas Landrum - OK State
Harlan Kistler - AZ State
Johnnie Selmon - Nebraska
Eddie Baza - San Jose State
Khris Whelan - Mizzou
Don Reese - Bloomsburg
Ricky Dellagatta - Kemtucky
Dalen Wasmund - Minn

1981 134

NCAA Champions in bracket

Daryl Burley - Lehigh

Clar Anderson - Auburn

Jim Gibbons - Iowa State

Randy Lewis - Iowa

12 All Americans in their career and 8 Multiple time AA's

Thomas Landrum - OK State

Harlan Kistler - AZ State

Johnnie Selmon - Nebraska

Eddie Baza - San Jose State

Khris Whelan - Mizzou

Don Reese - Bloomsburg

Ricky Dellagatta - Kemtucky

Dalen Wasmund - Minn

great weight and legendary names but only issue with it as a bracket is the guys missing weight...wrecked it to some degree (Selmon in particular). 

I feel like we go over this every year. Although this bracket looking back has some awesome names, it's mostly full of underclassmen who had yet to prove much.

all brackets are like that though. That’s a lot of eventual finalists and champs even with those considerations. See cruisers comment.

Brent Metcalf - Iowa 

Josh Churella - Michigan

J.P. O'Connor - Harvard

Jake Patacsil, - Purdue

Ryan Lang - Northwestern

Adam Hall - Boise state

Bryce Saddoris - Navy

Hey Gromit, outstanding choice indeed.  At least half those guys were hammers. It was fun/ entertaining to watch the bouts. Especially vs each other.

great weight and legendary names but only issue with it as a bracket is the guys missing weight...wrecked it to some degree (Selmon in particular). 

Yeah, Selmon was a stud, I believe he pinned 5 straight guys at JUCO's - one was my bro 

all brackets are like that though. That’s a lot of eventual finalists and champs even with those considerations. See cruisers comment.

No they aren't. There have been weight classed in the past where there were 8 or 9 returning AAs. I think I remember some past weights that had 10 AAs (preseason at least.)

2008 149 is the probably the most overrated weight that I have ever seen. I think there was a 157 lb bracket with more proven talent around this era that isn't talked about much for some reason. I think it was the Bertin, Gentry, Johnston, etc. years.

2008 149 is the probably the most overrated weight that I have ever seen. I think there was a 157 lb bracket with more proven talent around this era that isn't talked about much for some reason. I think it was the Bertin, Gentry, Johnston, etc. years.

It could be overrated, but it could also easly been as good as people think. They were unproven, but this was the start of it. A returning runner up didnt AA. Yeah he moved up in weight, but whose to say he wasnt still on that level, but the young guns made that jump.

Saying some of those guys were unproven at the time is a fair statement but this is about a person's favorite bracket and I would vote 149 in 2008 as well. I was pretty happy with how Bubba J. performed for Penn State back then, defeating O'Connor and Caldwell back to back to get to the finals and then giving Metcalf a tuff match. Brent had to defeat Palmer and Burroughs to make the finals, not exactly an easy path either.

EDIT: Looking back at the bracket, Bubba had to beat Saddoris and Lang just to get to the quarters so he ended up defeating a current/future AA in every round up to the finals.

Really was a great field:

http://www.wrestlingstats.com/ncaa/pdf/brackets/NCAA%202008.pdf

Edited by Flying-Tiger

we could argue 'best class' all day but this is favorite class, all in the eye of the beholder.

hell I could say my two favorite classes are 133 in 2000 and 158 in 1987 (a nickel to anyone bored enough to try and make the connection between those and figure it out; not too hard really)

but I'll stick with 126 in 1988. the 149 class discussed is noteworthy if for nothing else than every guy in top 8 made a final at some point. I'm not sure any other top 8 can match that.

we could argue 'best class' all day but this is favorite class, all in the eye of the beholder.

hell I could say my two favorite classes are 133 in 2000 and 158 in 1987 (a nickel to anyone bored enough to try and make the connection between those and figure it out; not too hard really)

but I'll stick with 126 in 1988. the 149 class discussed is noteworthy if for nothing else than every guy in top 8 made a final at some point. I'm not sure any other top 8 can match that.

Go Duuuuukes!!  

Exactly. My initial post was intended to focus on weight classes you were looking forward to the most before NCAAs; not how those guys fared later in their careers.

In 2008, 149 was Metcalf's to lose. Palmer and Schlatter were in the conversation, but there wasn't a whole lot of drama leading up to NCAAs since Metcalf had already beaten everyone during the season. Burroughs wasn't really in the conversation, Jenkins wasn't living up to the hype, and nobody even knew who Caldwell was.