Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Favorite weight class at a past NCAA tourney

Exactly. My initial post was intended to focus on weight classes you were looking forward to the most before NCAAs; not how those guys fared later in their careers.

In 2008, 149 was Metcalf's to lose. Palmer and Schlatter were in the conversation, but there wasn't a whole lot of drama leading up to NCAAs since Metcalf had already beaten everyone during the season. Burroughs wasn't really in the conversation, Jenkins wasn't living up to the hype, and nobody even knew who Caldwell was.

not so sure about that...he was seeded 7th, plus anyone (from a fan perspective) who'd seen him in that classic quarters match with Lang the year before certainly had him on their radar.

Edited by gromit

Exactly. My initial post was intended to focus on weight classes you were looking forward to the most before NCAAs; not how those guys fared later in their careers.

In 2008, 149 was Metcalf's to lose. Palmer and Schlatter were in the conversation, but there wasn't a whole lot of drama leading up to NCAAs since Metcalf had already beaten everyone during the season. Burroughs wasn't really in the conversation, Jenkins wasn't living up to the hype, and nobody even knew who Caldwell was.

well then I looked at a little differently as my 126 in 88 did end up being a bit about how guys ended up later. as it was more per your criteria though - Jim Martin was one of my favorite wrestlers and was defending champ. freshman sensation Brands had a tie vs Martin in reg season. Brands had roughed up returning AA Cross but you knew Kendall would be a tough out at NCAAs. As a Va guy I was hoping Epperly would have a good tourney. So yeah I think I answered incorrectly 1st go round, but that class did have my interest beforehand for sure as well. 

I will disagree with you on one thing - no one knowing who Caldwell was. He may have not placed the year before but his match with Lang at NCAAs got a lot of people's notice. Plus he pinned  Metcalf in 2007/2008 regular season.     

EDIT-gromit beat me to the punch with the Lang video. Totally agree with you on that.

Edited by KTG119

It could be overrated, but it could also easly been as good as people think. They were unproven, but this was the start of it. A returning runner up didnt AA. Yeah he moved up in weight, but whose to say he wasnt still on that level, but the young guns made that jump.

It's not uncommon for returning AAs to not make the podium. That can be a useful metric to assess the toughness of a bracket, but other factors should be considered. Just because defending champ Greg Jones failed to make AA as a sophomore doesn't make that bracket legendary, or even one of the best.

KTG119, you keep writing 126 in '88, but you mean '89.  Martin (one of my favorites too...from Danville, PA...now a doctor up there) won it in '88

dang you are right. I did put '89 in my 1st post on subject, not sure why I have kept saying '88 since then.

I saw that match live, felt like the whole arena stopped to watch it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

And then Caldwell got pinned by unseeded J Jaggers in the R12.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk