Sign in to follow this  
Plasmodium

Karimi Throws Match against Russia

It's either forfeit or have your family be executed back home. Not exactly nice but that's what happens. Blame the US since we basically handed the keys to the Ayatollahs.

Unlikely to be executed. Iran has its issues for sure, but executing athlete’s families is North Korea level. They aren’t North Korea level.

Blaming the US is ridiculous. This is an Iranian policy.

I have family in Israel so there is likely bias here, but I wish the best to Iran, love their wrestlers and hope for peace in my lifetime between the two cultures. There is a tremendous amount in common and the people would get along well if given the chance.

Always remember these disagreements are usually government vs government not citizen vs citizen.

Always remember that these disagreements are usually government vs. government, theology vs. theology, ideology vs. ideology, and not citizen vs. citizen.  

it stinks that this has manifested itself in the sport of wrestling, but serves as a fairly effective reminder of the differences belief systems and what constitutes "social norms" or "social expectations".  

over the summer two Iranian soccer players played for a Greek club against an Israeli club. As punishment, the ministry of sport banned them from playing on the Iranian national soccer team. However one of them apologized on social media and was reinstated.

so no, no one would be executed for breaking this rule. but depending on how the athlete handled things their life could be made pretty miserable. 

Edited by Jaroslav Hasek

You will not be hanged or whatever but you will be banned from wrestling for life. A Iranian Greco Roman wrestler was man enough to ignore the rule and wrestle Israel in the 80s I believe and they black listed him from the sport forever. So if you're going to do it and want to keep wrestling you'd pretty much have to defect immedietly after.

I blame the Iranian government and the Palestinian people for much of this.

Edited by Shiraz123

You will not be hanged or whatever but you will be banned from wrestling for life. A Iranian Greco Roman wrestler was man enough to ignore the rule and wrestle Israel in the 80s I believe and they black listed him from the sport forever. So if you're going to do it and want to keep wrestling you'd pretty much have to defect immedietly after.

I blame the Iranian government and the Palestinian people for much of this.

What is his name? I’d love to learn more.

What is his name? I’d love to learn more.

Bijan Seif Khani, he ended up winning the match against Israel. I believe they immediately ordered both the freestyle and greco teams back to Iran and banned him. There isn't much online on it. This was 1983 Kiev world championships. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Thanks for sharing, Shiraz.  Appreciate the history.

The UWW site only lists these "Khanis" from Iran:

Khani, Ali

Khani, Feiz Ollah

Khani, Mostafa

Ali Khani was greco gold medalist at 52 kilos in the Asian Games in '83.  Is this possibly the same guy?

Khani, Ali (IRI)  Khani, Feiz Ollah (IRI)  Khani, Mostafa Hossein (IRI)  Khaniev, Mukhamed Takhri (RUS) 

Edited by Coach_J

Has the UWW made a statement about enforcing the rule that results in a ban for the coach for a period of time?

The rule should be enforced. No excuses. Otherwise get rid of the rule.

Has the UWW made a statement about enforcing the rule that results in a ban for the coach for a period of time?

The rule should be enforced. No excuses. Otherwise get rid of the rule.

I highly doubt they enforce this

If they do, I’m excited for all of the “Jews made them do it” posts

Unlikely to be executed. Iran has its issues for sure, but executing athlete’s families is North Korea level. They aren’t North Korea level.

Blaming the US is ridiculous. This is an Iranian policy.

I have family in Israel so there is likely bias here, but I wish the best to Iran, love their wrestlers and hope for peace in my lifetime between the two cultures. There is a tremendous amount in common and the people would get along well if given the chance.

Always remember these disagreements are usually government vs government not citizen vs citizen.

The US is responsible for letting Iran get into a messed up enough situation where the Ayatollahs were basically allowed to lie and cheat their way into power.  But of course us overthrowing their democratically elected government and installing a despot like Reza Pahlavi as Shah didn't make people resent the US intervening in their country's politics.  Must have been some other reason.  

I also sort of remember that one of the Khadem brothers was supposed to wrestle Israel and actually went out there but instead of trying to wrestle just backed out of bounds 4 or 5 times in a row and got cautioned out and lost.  Does anybody else remember that?  

The US is responsible for letting Iran get into a messed up enough situation where the Ayatollahs were basically allowed to lie and cheat their way into power. But of course us overthrowing their democratically elected government and installing a despot like Reza Pahlavi as Shah didn't make people resent the US intervening in their country's politics. Must have been some other reason.

I am familiar with how the US meddled in Iranian affairs.

The revolution was in 1979. It is 2017.

Several defected during the 1982 World's in Edmonton. There were protests from the stands and some of the wrestlers came out and shouted back at the protesters. We were kind of nervous but nothing more than shouting occurred- at least in public.