• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:23 PM

And then forfeits the next match against Israel. He did the same thing  in the Junior worlds 2013.  What a childish policy the Iranians have.  Here is an article on Flo.  

#2 TripNSweep

TripNSweep

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,969 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:35 PM

It's either forfeit or have your family be executed back home.  Not exactly nice but that's what happens.  Blame the US since we basically handed the keys to the Ayatollahs.  

• Coach_J likes this
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Contrary to what you've just seen, war is neither glamorous nor fun. There are no winners, only losers. There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: The American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy. If you'd like to learn more about war, there's lots of books in your local library, many of them with cool, gory pictures.

#3 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:44 PM

That wouldn't happen.  His wrestling career would be over.

#4 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:52 PM

It's either forfeit or have your family be executed back home. Not exactly nice but that's what happens. Blame the US since we basically handed the keys to the Ayatollahs.

Unlikely to be executed. Iran has its issues for sure, but executing athlete’s families is North Korea level. They aren’t North Korea level.

Blaming the US is ridiculous. This is an Iranian policy.

I have family in Israel so there is likely bias here, but I wish the best to Iran, love their wrestlers and hope for peace in my lifetime between the two cultures. There is a tremendous amount in common and the people would get along well if given the chance.

Always remember these disagreements are usually government vs government not citizen vs citizen.
  • BadgerMon, Tofurky and treep2000 like this

#5 treep2000

treep2000

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:42 AM

Always remember that these disagreements are usually government vs. government, theology vs. theology, ideology vs. ideology, and not citizen vs. citizen.  

it stinks that this has manifested itself in the sport of wrestling, but serves as a fairly effective reminder of the differences belief systems and what constitutes "social norms" or "social expectations".  

#6 Jaroslav Hasek

Jaroslav Hasek

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:44 AM

over the summer two Iranian soccer players played for a Greek club against an Israeli club. As punishment, the ministry of sport banned them from playing on the Iranian national soccer team. However one of them apologized on social media and was reinstated.

so no, no one would be executed for breaking this rule. but depending on how the athlete handled things their life could be made pretty miserable. 

Edited by Jaroslav Hasek, 30 November 2017 - 02:26 AM.

#7 Workers` Wrestling

Workers` Wrestling
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:21 AM

Don`t see the purpose of Iran`s policy? To punish its athletes?!

#8 Shiraz123

Shiraz123

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 932 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:41 AM

You will not be hanged or whatever but you will be banned from wrestling for life. A Iranian Greco Roman wrestler was man enough to ignore the rule and wrestle Israel in the 80s I believe and they black listed him from the sport forever. So if you're going to do it and want to keep wrestling you'd pretty much have to defect immedietly after.

I blame the Iranian government and the Palestinian people for much of this.

Edited by Shiraz123, 30 November 2017 - 02:41 AM.

• Coach_J, Cletus_Tucker and TheRealOne9050 like this

#9 WildTurkey44

WildTurkey44

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:26 AM

Sure is great to be an American!
  • denger likes this

#10 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:27 AM

You will not be hanged or whatever but you will be banned from wrestling for life. A Iranian Greco Roman wrestler was man enough to ignore the rule and wrestle Israel in the 80s I believe and they black listed him from the sport forever. So if you're going to do it and want to keep wrestling you'd pretty much have to defect immedietly after.

I blame the Iranian government and the Palestinian people for much of this.

What is his name? I’d love to learn more.

#11 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:30 AM

i was waiting this "news" here lol 

• GranbyTroll likes this
The opinions and views expressed in my posts, are intended to promote Russian international styles wrestling and international wrestling in general. Please excuse misspellings, misunderstandings, or misinterpretations. I am doing my very best to communicate in English, but it is a work in progress. I speak several languages, but I am still learning context, culture, and local tradition. I love USA and I am doing my best to be a great ambassador. Thank you for understanding.

#12 Shiraz123

Shiraz123

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 932 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:29 AM

What is his name? I’d love to learn more.

Bijan Seif Khani, he ended up winning the match against Israel. I believe they immediately ordered both the freestyle and greco teams back to Iran and banned him. There isn't much online on it. This was 1983 Kiev world championships. 

Edited by Shiraz123, 30 November 2017 - 08:31 AM.

• Coach_J and TheRealOne9050 like this

#13 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:55 AM

Thanks for sharing, Shiraz.  Appreciate the history.

The UWW site only lists these "Khanis" from Iran:

Khani, Ali

Khani, Feiz Ollah

Khani, Mostafa

Ali Khani was greco gold medalist at 52 kilos in the Asian Games in '83.  Is this possibly the same guy?

Khani, Ali (IRI)  Khani, Feiz Ollah (IRI)  Khani, Mostafa Hossein (IRI)  Khaniev, Mukhamed Takhri (RUS) 

Edited by Coach_J, 30 November 2017 - 09:01 AM.

• Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin likes this

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#14 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:02 AM

Wait, think I just answered my own question:  https://iranwire.com/en/features/4448

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#15 Shiraz123

Shiraz123

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 932 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:07 AM

He looks way too big to be a 52 from the pic I saw of him. I looked around a bit and found him. He is on the foeldeak database as Seifkhanee. He was a 74 and does not have any results listed besides that tournament. 

• Coach_J likes this

#16 jchapman

jchapman

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:33 AM

Sure is great to be an American!

Tell that to the 1980 US Summer Olympic team.

• Coach_J, cjc007, Billyhoyle and 1 other like this

#17 irani

irani

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:26 PM

An absolute embarrassment which is resented by most Iranian fans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Housebuye likes this

#18 nom

nom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:14 PM

Has the UWW made a statement about enforcing the rule that results in a ban for the coach for a period of time?

The rule should be enforced. No excuses. Otherwise get rid of the rule.

#19 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:20 PM

Has the UWW made a statement about enforcing the rule that results in a ban for the coach for a period of time?

The rule should be enforced. No excuses. Otherwise get rid of the rule.

I highly doubt they enforce this

If they do, I’m excited for all of the “Jews made them do it” posts

#20 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:44 PM

Well hopefully someday the wrestling mat as well as other athletic events will be free from politics, and these other influences.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users