Sign in to follow this  
Plasmodium

Karimi Throws Match against Russia

You will not be hanged or whatever but you will be banned from wrestling for life. A Iranian Greco Roman wrestler was man enough to ignore the rule and wrestle Israel in the 80s I believe and they black listed him from the sport forever. So if you're going to do it and want to keep wrestling you'd pretty much have to defect immedietly after.

I blame the Iranian government and the Palestinian people for much of this.

I don't think that was the case, Actually that was the first ever Iran-Israel match at any sport after the revolution and he (and his coach) didn't know he has to forfeit. they made that "no israel" policy right after the match and the poor guy was the first victim of this.

I also sort of remember that one of the Khadem brothers was supposed to wrestle Israel and actually went out there but instead of trying to wrestle just backed out of bounds 4 or 5 times in a row and got cautioned out and lost.  Does anybody else remember that?  

that was Amir Reza Khadem back in 1995 Worlds, he lost in the first round to someone else (if I'm not wrong Ozturk from Turkey) the way you explained to avoid Israel in the next round, and I'm sure you know the repechage format was different at the time, he won several matches in repechage but lost to Ruslan Khinchagov before the bronze medal match.

How easy/difficult is it to defect from Iran? The kid can live in my basement while he figures out life here in the U.S.

As easy as getting visa of anywhere in the world.

and why you think he wants such thing ? Karimi just received around 3000 dollars as prize for this and he will get much more soon. Actually he made a lot of fans and media attention because this case (unless previous cases) made the headlines in Iran and he was in 1st page of newspapers for couple of days. so many government-related organizations claimed they will pay him prize money for his "brave action". he will be financially fine even though he probably will never forget this match.

btw the Iranian wrestling federation openly asked the government for changing this policy , that was a taboo few years ago. now UWW officially asked them to explain the situation, I think UWW will ban Karimi and the coach probably, even though they were both innocent in this.

As easy as getting visa of anywhere in the world.

and why you think he wants such thing ? Karimi just received around 3000 dollars as prize for this and he will get much more soon. Actually he made a lot of fans and media attention because this case (unless previous cases) made the headlines in Iran and he was in 1st page of newspapers for couple of days. so many government-related organizations claimed they will pay him prize money for his "brave action". he will be financially fine even though he probably will never forget this match.

btw the Iranian wrestling federation openly asked the government for changing this policy , that was a taboo few years ago. now UWW officially asked them to explain the situation, I think UWW will ban Karimi and the coach probably, even though they were both innocent in this.

Yes BBC are saying UWW are going to investigate. The coaches already admitted publically he threw the match anyway so this will be a short investigation. This is what happens when you have stupid rules.

Glad to hear about the investigation. It was a clear violation of a very important rule with unbelievably clear proof. To ignore it would be grounds for others to break rules with no fear of reprisal.

Iran should be punished for this transgression. If they can't compete against ALL the other members of UWW then they should be booted out. Politics has no place on the mat. If Iran isn't punished what's to stop them from throwing matches to other teams to hurt the US team, or the Russian team, or whoever they want to screw over in the "point standings". Remember how the Russian chess players used to throw matches to each other, depending on the situation, in order to stifle other country's Grandmasters? Fischer bitched about it, and he was right.

Edited by TobusRex

I don't think that was the case, Actually that was the first ever Iran-Israel match at any sport after the revolution and he (and his coach) didn't know he has to forfeit. they made that "no israel" policy right after the match and the poor guy was the first victim of this.

this id how I remember it too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a really stupid policy. Who does Iran think they are punishing with this stupidity, Israel? If Iran REALLY hated Israel as much as they claim wouldn't they relish the chance to beat the pants off Israeli wrestlers?

Just really stupid and punishes a bunch of great wrestlers/kids so some stupid old men in Tehran can feel good about themselves. Also, give Karimi his money he'd have gotten for a medal. Kid didn't deserve this.

Edited by TobusRex

Anyone have a link to the documentary on that Iranian JR world team? Pretty sure TR Foley posted it on a Friday mail bag a few years back.

Specifically Karimi from a pretty poor area using wrestling to get a lot in life, then having to fft in the tournament shattering him emotionally as one would expect.

Anyone have a link to the documentary on that Iranian JR world team? Pretty sure TR Foley posted it on a Friday mail bag a few years back.

Specifically Karimi from a pretty poor area using wrestling to get a lot in life, then having to fft in the tournament shattering him emotionally as one would expect.

I don't have a link to the movie itself, but this is it

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3595394/

You refuse to wrestle, you lose your career. You throw a match, you lose your career. Lifetime ban for the wrestler who refuses and the coaches. Throwing a match - same thing.

Actual medical reason - no problem. But just refusing means you should be out for good as should your coaches.

If it happens again with anyone on the team the Nation is banned from all International competition for two years.

You wrestle or you pay the price.

Edited by WillieBoy

You refuse to wrestle, you lose your career. You throw a match, you lose your career. Lifetime ban for the wrestler who refuses and the coaches. Throwing a match - same thing.

Actual medical reason - no problem. But just refusing means you should be out for good as should your coaches.

If it happens again with anyone on the team the Nation is banned from all International competition for two years.

And when the Iranian wrestler falls over and says "Ow, my ankle, I can't wrestle" how do you determine if its a legitimate injury or not?

I partially agree with you.   I agree, that this is is a blatant violation of sportsmanship and the rules, and there has to be punishment.  The question is who do you punish?  I disagree with punishing the wrestler or the coach.

The wrestler is between a rock and hard place.  His coach is screaming at him, "you must lose".  He will get banned for life by his home country if he does throw the match.

The coach is in a somewhat similar position.

My decision would be to ban the federation.  Start by banning Iran from hosting any events until they agree to act within the rules.  If they repeat the offense, ban the team from international competition for a year.

I would absolutely hate to see the above happen, but it will be more effective than punishing the individual wrestler, and coach, both of whom would much rather just wrestle.

Edited by irani

Yep, the only ban that makes sense is an entire federation ban. Karimi is not the first Iranian to throw a match or fake an injury to forfeit and he won't be the last. This time the story just happened to catch fire which is why UWW has said they will investigate. If they ban Karimi and Soleimani then next time it will simply be a different coach and athlete. 

Other than that I guess they could take away events but currently Iran only hosts crap events like clubs cup and world cup.