• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 TripNSweep

TripNSweep

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:52 PM

Unlikely to be executed. Iran has its issues for sure, but executing athlete’s families is North Korea level. They aren’t North Korea level.

Blaming the US is ridiculous. This is an Iranian policy.

I have family in Israel so there is likely bias here, but I wish the best to Iran, love their wrestlers and hope for peace in my lifetime between the two cultures. There is a tremendous amount in common and the people would get along well if given the chance.

Always remember these disagreements are usually government vs government not citizen vs citizen.

The US is responsible for letting Iran get into a messed up enough situation where the Ayatollahs were basically allowed to lie and cheat their way into power.  But of course us overthrowing their democratically elected government and installing a despot like Reza Pahlavi as Shah didn't make people resent the US intervening in their country's politics.  Must have been some other reason.  

• jchapman, cjc007 and ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying like this
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Contrary to what you've just seen, war is neither glamorous nor fun. There are no winners, only losers. There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: The American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy. If you'd like to learn more about war, there's lots of books in your local library, many of them with cool, gory pictures.

#22 TripNSweep

TripNSweep

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:59 PM

I also sort of remember that one of the Khadem brothers was supposed to wrestle Israel and actually went out there but instead of trying to wrestle just backed out of bounds 4 or 5 times in a row and got cautioned out and lost.  Does anybody else remember that?  

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Contrary to what you've just seen, war is neither glamorous nor fun. There are no winners, only losers. There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: The American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy. If you'd like to learn more about war, there's lots of books in your local library, many of them with cool, gory pictures.

#23 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:19 AM

The US is responsible for letting Iran get into a messed up enough situation where the Ayatollahs were basically allowed to lie and cheat their way into power. But of course us overthrowing their democratically elected government and installing a despot like Reza Pahlavi as Shah didn't make people resent the US intervening in their country's politics. Must have been some other reason.

I am familiar with how the US meddled in Iranian affairs.

The revolution was in 1979. It is 2017.

#24 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,098 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:24 AM

How easy/difficult is it to defect from Iran? The kid can live in my basement while he figures out life here in the U.S.

#25 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,534 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:38 AM

Several defected during the 1982 World's in Edmonton. There were protests from the stands and some of the wrestlers came out and shouted back at the protesters. We were kind of nervous but nothing more than shouting occurred- at least in public.

#26 wrestfan

wrestfan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:33 AM

You will not be hanged or whatever but you will be banned from wrestling for life. A Iranian Greco Roman wrestler was man enough to ignore the rule and wrestle Israel in the 80s I believe and they black listed him from the sport forever. So if you're going to do it and want to keep wrestling you'd pretty much have to defect immedietly after.

I blame the Iranian government and the Palestinian people for much of this.

I don't think that was the case, Actually that was the first ever Iran-Israel match at any sport after the revolution and he (and his coach) didn't know he has to forfeit. they made that "no israel" policy right after the match and the poor guy was the first victim of this.

• Shiraz123 likes this

#27 wrestfan

wrestfan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:40 AM

I also sort of remember that one of the Khadem brothers was supposed to wrestle Israel and actually went out there but instead of trying to wrestle just backed out of bounds 4 or 5 times in a row and got cautioned out and lost.  Does anybody else remember that?  

that was Amir Reza Khadem back in 1995 Worlds, he lost in the first round to someone else (if I'm not wrong Ozturk from Turkey) the way you explained to avoid Israel in the next round, and I'm sure you know the repechage format was different at the time, he won several matches in repechage but lost to Ruslan Khinchagov before the bronze medal match.

#28 wrestfan

wrestfan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:02 AM

How easy/difficult is it to defect from Iran? The kid can live in my basement while he figures out life here in the U.S.

As easy as getting visa of anywhere in the world.

and why you think he wants such thing ? Karimi just received around 3000 dollars as prize for this and he will get much more soon. Actually he made a lot of fans and media attention because this case (unless previous cases) made the headlines in Iran and he was in 1st page of newspapers for couple of days. so many government-related organizations claimed they will pay him prize money for his "brave action". he will be financially fine even though he probably will never forget this match.

btw the Iranian wrestling federation openly asked the government for changing this policy , that was a taboo few years ago. now UWW officially asked them to explain the situation, I think UWW will ban Karimi and the coach probably, even though they were both innocent in this.

• Jaroslav Hasek likes this

#29 Shiraz123

Shiraz123

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:07 AM

As easy as getting visa of anywhere in the world.

and why you think he wants such thing ? Karimi just received around 3000 dollars as prize for this and he will get much more soon. Actually he made a lot of fans and media attention because this case (unless previous cases) made the headlines in Iran and he was in 1st page of newspapers for couple of days. so many government-related organizations claimed they will pay him prize money for his "brave action". he will be financially fine even though he probably will never forget this match.

btw the Iranian wrestling federation openly asked the government for changing this policy , that was a taboo few years ago. now UWW officially asked them to explain the situation, I think UWW will ban Karimi and the coach probably, even though they were both innocent in this.

Yes BBC are saying UWW are going to investigate. The coaches already admitted publically he threw the match anyway so this will be a short investigation. This is what happens when you have stupid rules.

#30 nom

nom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:02 AM

Glad to hear about the investigation. It was a clear violation of a very important rule with unbelievably clear proof. To ignore it would be grounds for others to break rules with no fear of reprisal.

#31 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,015 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:56 AM

Iran should be punished for this transgression. If they can't compete against ALL the other members of UWW then they should be booted out. Politics has no place on the mat. If Iran isn't punished what's to stop them from throwing matches to other teams to hurt the US team, or the Russian team, or whoever they want to screw over in the "point standings". Remember how the Russian chess players used to throw matches to each other, depending on the situation, in order to stifle other country's Grandmasters? Fischer bitched about it, and he was right.

Edited by TobusRex, 01 December 2017 - 10:58 AM.

#32 TripNSweep

TripNSweep

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:07 AM

I am familiar with how the US meddled in Iranian affairs.

The revolution was in 1979. It is 2017.

Doesn't mean that the results of that still aren't having an effect on what goes on now.  

#33 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:36 AM

Ur face when u did find out that your opponent will be KALASHNIKOV 

240px-Alireza_Karimi_Rio2016.jpg

Edited by Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin, 02 December 2017 - 12:37 AM.

• Coach_J and Shiraz123 like this
The opinions and views expressed in my posts, are intended to promote Russian international styles wrestling and international wrestling in general. Please excuse misspellings, misunderstandings, or misinterpretations. I am doing my very best to communicate in English, but it is a work in progress. I speak several languages, but I am still learning context, culture, and local tradition. I love USA and I am doing my best to be a great ambassador. Thank you for understanding.

#34 irani

irani

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:37 PM

I don't think that was the case, Actually that was the first ever Iran-Israel match at any sport after the revolution and he (and his coach) didn't know he has to forfeit. they made that "no israel" policy right after the match and the poor guy was the first victim of this.

this id how I remember it too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#35 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,015 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:43 AM

Just a really stupid policy. Who does Iran think they are punishing with this stupidity, Israel? If Iran REALLY hated Israel as much as they claim wouldn't they relish the chance to beat the pants off Israeli wrestlers?

Just really stupid and punishes a bunch of great wrestlers/kids so some stupid old men in Tehran can feel good about themselves. Also, give Karimi his money he'd have gotten for a medal. Kid didn't deserve this.

Edited by TobusRex, 03 December 2017 - 02:44 AM.

#36 LordNelson

LordNelson

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:46 AM

Anyone have a link to the documentary on that Iranian JR world team? Pretty sure TR Foley posted it on a Friday mail bag a few years back.

Specifically Karimi from a pretty poor area using wrestling to get a lot in life, then having to fft in the tournament shattering him emotionally as one would expect.

#37 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 05:13 AM

Anyone have a link to the documentary on that Iranian JR world team? Pretty sure TR Foley posted it on a Friday mail bag a few years back.

Specifically Karimi from a pretty poor area using wrestling to get a lot in life, then having to fft in the tournament shattering him emotionally as one would expect.

I don't have a link to the movie itself, but this is it

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3595394/

#38 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:26 AM

You refuse to wrestle, you lose your career. You throw a match, you lose your career. Lifetime ban for the wrestler who refuses and the coaches. Throwing a match - same thing.

Actual medical reason - no problem. But just refusing means you should be out for good as should your coaches.

If it happens again with anyone on the team the Nation is banned from all International competition for two years.

You wrestle or you pay the price.

Edited by WillieBoy, 09 December 2017 - 04:27 AM.

#39 LoStNuMbEr

LoStNuMbEr

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,159 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:48 AM

You refuse to wrestle, you lose your career. You throw a match, you lose your career. Lifetime ban for the wrestler who refuses and the coaches. Throwing a match - same thing.

Actual medical reason - no problem. But just refusing means you should be out for good as should your coaches.

If it happens again with anyone on the team the Nation is banned from all International competition for two years.

You wrestle or you pay the price.

And when the Iranian wrestler falls over and says "Ow, my ankle, I can't wrestle" how do you determine if its a legitimate injury or not?

#40 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:57 AM

And when the Iranian wrestler falls over and says "Ow, my ankle, I can't wrestle" how do you determine if its a legitimate injury or not?

It has to be diagnosed by an Israeli doctor.

• Buckeyebison likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users