Sign in to follow this  
maccky

Ed Ruth Soph. 174 vs Mark Hall Soph. 174

ruth majors him. by the time he was a sophomore ruth and taylor were neck and neck for the most dominant wrestler in the NCAA. He could ride, unbelievable at finishing, it'd be bad.

Is this a joke? In what world is Ed Ruth unbelievable at finishing against someone of Hall's talent and ability? Ruth was a good college wrestler, but he was often times very sloppy. I see Hall making him pay for his regular technical and positional errors. Hall would have a lot to work with because Ruth wrestled hard for seven minutes. You aren't taking into account that most of the guys Ruth dominated were overmatched and were not elite talents.

You are putting forth the same flawed argument that people out forth when they talked about Taylor being good enough to beat Dake by major decision. Then again, maybe I shouldn't be surprised, average wrestling knowledge has really taken a significant dive over the past 5-10 years. Too many people who don't understand wrestling are being given jobs and are dumbing down the wrestling population by teaching the wrestlers 2nd-rate-at-best technique.

You don't make any points at all....Ruth was definitely on Taylor's level, and he doesn't have to dominate Dake, just mark hall

So, Ruth was on Taylor's level. What does that have to do with your ridiculous claim that Ed Ruth was unbelievable at finishing against someone of Hall's talent and ability? Btw, I see Taylor struggling with Hall too. Also, I don't see Ed Ruth or Taylor being "more dominant" than Dake.

Well for one thing I didn't say that, but if I did I would just point out they out bonused him significantly.

My claim that Ed Ruth can finish on Hall is ridiculous? Bo Jordan can do it....You just have too much hype polluting your vision, it's really taking your wrestling IQ down a few levels.

Yes, Hall can be taken down. But the notion that Ruth is going to be able to do it consistently doesn't align with any observable evidence that I've seen thus far. Ed Ruth was not unbelievable at finishing consistently against someone of Hall's talent and ability. The opposite is true. I don't let "hype" cloud my judgment. I don't buy into hype created by people that have no clue what they are talking about. Those are the people usually creating the "hype".

Yes, Hall can be taken down. But the notion that Ruth is going to be able to do it consistently doesn't align with any observable evidence that I've seen thus far. Ed Ruth was not unbelievable at finishing consistently against someone of Hall's talent and ability. The opposite is true. I don't let "hype" cloud my judgment. I don't buy into hype created by people that have no clue what they are talking about. Those are the people usually creating the "hype".

Ruth was one of the best finishers of recent years.  When he got in on a leg it was typically over

I'd take Ruth over hall by a significant margin. 

Ruth only had 3 college L's to my knowledge. Pretty damn good. Of course Taylor TF'd him when they met in freestyle, so there is that data point too. Hall is pretty elite, but he never wins any fantasy matches, so let's go all the way and call it Ruth by TF. 

Ruth, comfortably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right on. Hall may have won 2 world titles, 6 state titles, numerous Fargo titles and a Freshman year NCAA final while significantly undersized, but he is not capable of hanging with past studs at this point. Dude is seriously overrated.

Ruth was an injury at NCAA's from being a likely Finalist, and, quite possibly, a 4xer(not sure he beats Reader that year). Considering how he absolutely wrecked the field the next year and avenged the Amuch loss in extreme fashion, I have a hard time picking Hall over him having seen him just lose to Valencia(he may actually be the next Ruth).

I know bigmik only endorses strict technique, but Ruth DID finish takedowns at a crazy rate regardless of some suspect technique, similar to McDonough. Some guys just have the length to get to the legs and the strength to finish. Compound that with Hall still looking a bit small for 174 and I gotta go with Ruth.

With that said, Hall is one of the most impressive freestyle youngsters I have seen in some time and I do think he would expose Ruth's sloppiness in that style.

Edited by MSU158

Think I would take Ed Ruth over anybody at 174 as a sophomore or younger. As good as he was as a freshman, he made a big jump into his second year and dominated all season. At NCAAs, he scored a tech fall against Storley in the semis and then took apart a very good Amuch 13-2 in the finals. I realize he moved up and won two more titles but that year at 174 may have been the best of his entire college career.

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Right on. Hall may have won 2 world titles, 6 state titles, numerous Fargo titles and a Freshman year NCAA final while significantly undersized, but he is not capable of hanging with past studs at this point. Dude is seriously overrated.

No doubt, guy is a scrub.