Sign in to follow this  
Peso

Where is Penn State at?

As an Alumnus of Oklahoma State University, I have a pretty thorough understanding of their historical position in wrestling.  I witnessed the dynasty in Iowa City from beginning to...current.  This sport is gaining ground in the national media. The rules are the best they have ever been, which is enormous.  We are getting every round of the NCAA Tournament televised on ESPN.  A lot of success internationally, will undoubtedly bring more media exposure.  So in some ways, this is the most prestigious time to have a dynasty.  This Penn State Run is excellent!  How many times can we have once in a lifetime wrestlers coming out of Penn State?  I put David Taylor, Ruth,  Jason Nolf, Bo Nickal,  more joining soon in my greatest of all time.  I've only been watching for 50 years, and what these guys are doing is freaking amazing!  I missed the Oklahoma State Dynasty in it's most dominant years, but I watched the Hawkeyes take about 15 of their 20+ titles from Oklahoma State.  What Penn State is doing right now, and the way they are competing is just the same beast with a different team logo.  They are just simply better than anyone else.  The way that Ohio State has raised their level to challenge is pretty cool too.  When Coach Gable had the Hawkeyes in their 9 year run, is the only thing I've seen that compares to these guys.  

As an Alumnus of Oklahoma State University, I have a pretty thorough understanding of their historical position in wrestling.  I witnessed the dynasty in Iowa City from beginning to...current.  This sport is gaining ground in the national media. The rules are the best they have ever been, which is enormous.  We are getting every round of the NCAA Tournament televised on ESPN.  A lot of success internationally, will undoubtedly bring more media exposure.  So in some ways, this is the most prestigious time to have a dynasty.  This Penn State Run is excellent!  How many times can we have once in a lifetime wrestlers coming out of Penn State?  I put David Taylor, Ruth,  Jason Nolf, Bo Nickal,  more joining soon in my greatest of all time.  I've only been watching for 50 years, and what these guys are doing is freaking amazing!  I missed the Oklahoma State Dynasty in it's most dominant years, but I watched the Hawkeyes take about 15 of their 20+ titles from Oklahoma State.  What Penn State is doing right now, and the way they are competing is just the same beast with a different team logo.  They are just simply better than anyone else.  The way that Ohio State has raised their level to challenge is pretty cool too.  When Coach Gable had the Hawkeyes in their 9 year run, is the only thing I've seen that compares to these guys.  

Oh boy, good read. 

I put PSU in the D1 "triad" at this point: OSU/Iowa/PSU - all teams that have won a bunch of titles. They have quite a dynasty going and it never fails to amaze me how Cael continuously keeps getting these hammers. I don't remember OSU or Iowa getting kids like this so consistently. I wouldn't mind if PSU had a long Hawkeye like run if they were classy about it. I remember the old days when OSU fans would point out how the new Hawkeye fans were "johnny come latelys", lol...now Iowa fans are that way about PSU :D

Wonder which school will have the next dynasty? Would be awesome if it was OU. Speaking of, Andre Metzger BADLY wants to coach OU. How could they NOT hire a technician like Metzger?

I know we talk about ESPN, but would it be better if wrestling were back in prime time on NBC, CBS or ABC? I remember the finals being tape delayed on CBS back in the late-'80s/early '90s. Benefits?

it was cool seeing it on the major networks but too many times they only showed half the match and one year I think they only showed half the finals (158 and up)

I know we talk about ESPN, but would it be better if wrestling were back in prime time on NBC, CBS or ABC? I remember the finals being tape delayed on CBS back in the late-'80s/early '90s. Benefits?

Would be really cool on prime time but not tape delay...with social media the way it is it'll take the excitement away 

I put PSU in the D1 "triad" at this point: OSU/Iowa/PSU - all teams that have won a bunch of titles. They have quite a dynasty going and it never fails to amaze me how Cael continuously keeps getting these hammers. I don't remember OSU or Iowa getting kids like this so consistently. I wouldn't mind if PSU had a long Hawkeye like run if they were classy about it. I remember the old days when OSU fans would point out how the new Hawkeye fans were "johnny come latelys", lol...now Iowa fans are that way about PSU :D

Wonder which school will have the next dynasty? Would be awesome if it was OU. Speaking of, Andre Metzger BADLY wants to coach OU. How could they NOT hire a technician like Metzger?

Curious of what your thoughts are of Roselli at OU and are you saying Metzger should have gotten the job over Roselli?  Or they should hire Metzger as an assistant? 

Edited by jeffr_ideal

PSU is having a great run. For sure Sanderson and company are bringing in the best kids in the country. Kudos to them because their success has been predicated on hard work. It also has been done with class.

Nevertheless, College Wrestling needs more players. Can’t wait to see teams like VTech, Rutgers, Campbell, etc., win the National Title.

PSU is having a great run. For sure Sanderson and company are bringing in the best kids in the country. Kudos to them because their success has been predicated on hard work. It also has been done with class.

Nevertheless, College Wrestling needs more players. Can’t wait to see teams like VTech, Rutgers, Campbell, etc., win the National Title.

Agreed that it's good to have titles spread around, but teams like Vtech, Rutgers, Campbell have to EARN IT!

It's a hard fraternity to join my friend, very hard.  There have been around a half dozen teams with excellent chances of winning it in the last 20 years.  All have gone 0 fer.

The Big 4 as they were officially called for about 40 years was OSU, OU, Iowa State, Iowa.  Minnesota broke into the club with the amazing J Rob.  Penn State joining the group makes 6 not 3, that have won at least 3 titles.  Ohio State could soon be joining this elite club, bringing it to 7.  It's a start, but it was the big 4 as I said for a long time, and it's damned tough to join.

Edited by Peso

Curious of what your thoughts are of Roselli at OU and are you saying Metzger should have gotten the job over Roselli?  Or they should hire Metzger as an assistant? 

I like Roselli. Cody left him a bare cupboard and it's up to Roselli to bring the program back. OU is struggling mightily though. I'm not seeing improvement either. Davion Jeffries is still inconsistent and not improving at all. Yoanse isn't improving. The Dixon boys haven't improved after 4 or 5 years at the school. Nobody is getting better and it's discouraging. Don't know how much blame for that Roselli should take, but he didn't recruit any of those kids, either. I'd give Lou 3 or 4 years to see what he can do with the kids he recruits, but it's going to be a tough go talking the kind of hammers OU needs into going to a university that clearly doesn't give a damn about wrestling. The lack of resources OU gives to it's wrestling program is a damned disgrace, especially when you consider that OU was one of the original bluebloods of the sport.

That said I'd have hired Metzger over Lou for several reasons. 1) Metzger has deep OU ties 2) Metzger is a "bigger name" than Roselli which would presumably help recruiting "star struck" kids who know who he is, 3) Metzger lobbied for the job hard, from what I understand, and really wants to pass on his skills before he retires. Think about it...Andre Metger teaching his wrestling awesomeness at OU. There's a lot more to coaching than just rolling around teaching technique in practice.

Whatever happens at OU I want to see the team getting better. This year I think OU MIGHT be able to squeeze out a low AA if we get a little luck in the draws, maybe a lucky pin or two. I think Moody is OU's best chance, but he's probably a R16 or R12 guy.

I like Roselli. Cody left him a bare cupboard and it's up to Roselli to bring the program back. OU is struggling mightily though. I'm not seeing improvement either. Davion Jeffries is still inconsistent and not improving at all. Yoanse isn't improving. The Dixon boys haven't improved after 4 or 5 years at the school. Nobody is getting better and it's discouraging. Don't know how much blame for that Roselli should take, but he didn't recruit any of those kids, either. I'd give Lou 3 or 4 years to see what he can do with the kids he recruits, but it's going to be a tough go talking the kind of hammers OU needs into going to a university that clearly doesn't give a damn about wrestling. The lack of resources OU gives to it's wrestling program is a damned disgrace, especially when you consider that OU was one of the original bluebloods of the sport.

That said I'd have hired Metzger over Lou for several reasons. 1) Metzger has deep OU ties 2) Metzger is a "bigger name" than Roselli which would presumably help recruiting "star struck" kids who know who he is, 3) Metzger lobbied for the job hard, from what I understand, and really wants to pass on his skills before he retires. Think about it...Andre Metger teaching his wrestling awesomeness at OU. There's a lot more to coaching than just rolling around teaching technique in practice.

Whatever happens at OU I want to see the team getting better. This year I think OU MIGHT be able to squeeze out a low AA if we get a little luck in the draws, maybe a lucky pin or two. I think Moody is OU's best chance, but he's probably a R16 or R12 guy.

They last won the NCAA's my senior year in high school.  I thought Andre was pretty good back in the day.  He's gotta be close to 60 now.  I say think outside of the box.  Keep Lou on as an administrator and hire the freakin Unicorn.  

They last won the NCAA's my senior year in high school.  I thought Andre was pretty good back in the day.  He's gotta be close to 60 now.  I say think outside of the box.  Keep Lou on as an administrator and hire the freakin Unicorn.  

I'd be down with that.

Edited by TobusRex