Sign in to follow this  
tightwaist

The challenge cube

Zeke Jones clearly threw the cube to give Zahid a breather. On the video, he doesn't even challenge the TD when it happened. He sees that Zahid is flat, tired and Jordan suddenly has momentum...then decides 6 or 7 seconds later to throw the cube.

Will this become a trend? If so, it could get ugly

It’s alredy a trend. I don’t want to get into a flame war so I’m not going to call out specific examples but in matches that matter, coaches already do this, not just Zeke. It’s s little underhanded but effective in the right circumstances. You can’t regulate it away unless you remove protests altogether or add point penalties.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Zeke Jones clearly threw the cube to give Zahid a breather. On the video, he doesn't even challenge the TD when it happened. He sees that Zahid is flat, tired and Jordan suddenly has momentum...then decides 6 or 7 seconds later to throw the cube.

Will this become a trend? If so, it could get ugly

Look at the video. Zahid looks over at him and waves for him to throw in the cube. They were very close to being out. I don't see how the challenge is so egregious.

Look at the video. Zahid looks over at him and waves for him to throw in the cube. They were very close to being out. I don't see how the challenge is so egregious.

You can't see how Zahid may want a breather as he looks like he is gassing and Bo is pressing the action?  Keep this up and I will replace your "m" with a "d" for reasons you may not like.  

What an unpredictable stance you've taken on this match involving Bo Jordan.  

The purpose of that challenge was to slow down the momentum, and it was a great success.  Your boy Chris made the smart move.

What an unpredictable stance you've taken on this match involving Bo Jordan.  

The purpose of that challenge was to slow down the momentum, and it was a great success.  Your boy Chris made the smart move.

Stop letting yourself become emotionally involved with Bo Jordan and the Ohio State wrestling team. It's sad to see you like this.

So Zahid is confident that they were out of bounds...even though 2 refs didn't see it, his coach didn't even think to challenge it, and he was in the midst of being taken down? Give Valencia credit for quick thinking when the momentum was shifting.

So Zahid is confident that they were out of bounds...even though 2 refs didn't see it, his coach didn't even think to challenge it, and he was in the midst of being taken down? Give Valencia credit for quick thinking when the momentum was shifting.

He may have merely thought that they were out of bounds. I could see that, they were close to the edge. Maybe the momentum was shifting, or maybe Bo scored that TD because Zahid relaxed on the edge thinking that it would likely get overturned due to being out of bounds.

Watch the Yianni - Meredith match.  Ref called 2 too early, but after a few seconds Yianni gets Meredith on his belly for a clear 2, but the Challenge cube is thrown so the ref stops the match to review.   The ref literally blows the whistle when Meredith is flat on his belly for a review.  That's ridiculous.   Then the ref says no td because it was called too early.  This forces OT where Yianni gets another td.  

It’s alredy a trend. I don’t want to get into a flame war so I’m not going to call out specific examples but in matches that matter, coaches already do this, not just Zeke. It’s s little underhanded but effective in the right circumstances. You can’t regulate it away unless you remove protests altogether or add point penalties.

Remember that kid from ISU a few years ago, really good wrestler but a terrible lunger? Seemed like half his matches he was getting injury timeouts :D

Edited by TobusRex

Or give the other wrestler position choice, similar to the injury timeout.  

I like this better because I do like the ability to challenge. An immediate point penalty would discourage reviews too much, in my opinion. The sport has evolved a lot and the rules have been adjusted to compensate for this, which makes reffing wrestling in 2017 harder than ever. Refs are therefore more error-prone than ever, and it's good to be able to use technology to get calls right and keep refs a little more honest.