Sign in to follow this  
KTG119

Mark Hall DOB

So how many of those 18 year olds are going to have two Jr. World championships and a collegiate National Championship by 20 years old?

btw, You sure are posting a lot for someone that supposedly doesn't care.

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Moot point after high school in my opinion. Lot of people go to college in mid 20s such as veterans and people who just start late. In high school I could see reason for it being brought up but afterwards? No big deal in my eyes. 

I don’t really care. I just want to point out that comparing an 18-year old boy to a 20-year old man is not apples to apples. They have age groups for a reason. A 20-YO TF is not the same as an 18-YO TF. That is all.

What difference does it make? There aren't any official freshman awards.Freshman wrestle 5th and 6th year seniors including those that went on a mission. Them's the rules.

What difference does it make? There aren't any official freshman awards.Freshman wrestle 5th and 6th year seniors including those that went on a mission. Them's the rules.

Officially? Absolutely zero difference.

But when you’re comparing achievements between two guys with regard to their relative development during the same grade or projecting upside, it matters.

Slightly related. Hall was a six time champ. A couple of others if I remember correctly. Has there been a 7 timer. Have 5th or (obviously) 6th graders won.

I Know a small Kentucky school had an 8 time girls cross country state champ.

I have no proof of this, but I estimate that, of all the HS wrestlers who graduated from April 1 to June 30, 2016, Hall was older than 85-95% of the Guys who were going Division 3, or going to college but not competing. Of those going D2 or D1, he was likely older than 75-85%

Noting that most states require first graders to have reached age 6 before entering, or by October 1. (1-3 later i.e October 1 to Dec 31). maybe half dozen have no state requirement, but local districts track with the by Oct 1 date. That being said Hall was probably older than 55-60% of the guys held back (for whatever reason)  exactly 1 year.

I have no proof of this, but I estimate that, of all the HS wrestlers who graduated from April 1 to June 30, 2016, Hall was older than 85-95% of the Guys who were going Division 3, or going to college but not competing. Of those going D2 or D1, he was likely older than 75-85%

Noting that most states require first graders to have reached age 6 before entering, or by October 1. (1-3 later i.e October 1 to Dec 31). maybe half dozen have no state requirement, but local districts track with the by Oct 1 date. That being said Hall was probably older than 55-60% of the guys held back (for whatever reason)  exactly 1 year.

What about guys ranked in the p4p top 50? 

I have already shown that virtually everyone around Hall at 174lbs. rankings is just as old as he is class wise except for Zahid, so Hall ain't the only one no matter how much people wish to suggest as much. 

What about guys ranked in the p4p top 50? 

I have already shown that virtually everyone around Hall at 174lbs. rankings is just as old as he is class wise except for Zahid, so Hall ain't the only one no matter how much people wish to suggest as much. 

Ok you have convinced me. The B1G, when they sign HS seniors in November, they Sign 18-19 year old Men. The EIWA signs 17 year old boys.

Ok you have convinced me. The B1G, when they sign HS seniors in November, they Sign 18-19 year old Men. The EIWA signs 17 year old boys.

Just out of curiosity? Who was the last HS Senior that the B1G signed that was 19 years old in November?

Also 18-19 year olds are now men? I thought college wrestlers were all "just kids."

Just out of curiosity? Who was the last HS Senior that the B1G signed that was 19 years old in November?

Also 18-19 year olds are now men? I thought college wrestlers were all "just kids."

Well since Hall turned 19 about 10 weeks after his signing date, and since you say he is about the average age for B1G true sophomores or RS Frosh. res ipsa loquitur. 

I guess you don't understand the legal differences between 17 year olds and 18 year olds. Most everyone else does.  

Edited by RichB

He wouldn't be an "older" RS soph. Turning 21 is inline with the "normal" or "typical" RS soph.

No, most students that have not been redshirted prior to high school or while in college are turning 21 the 2nd semester of there junior year and prior to beginning there senior year.  If you want to view the true DOB of normal student athletes just look at one of the military academies where they do not allow the cadets to redshirt or be married.  The only older students are typically enlisted military that applied and were accepted into one of the academies.  

Well since Hall turned 19 about 10 weeks after his signing date, and since you say he is about the average age for B1G true sophomores or RS Frosh. res ipsa loquitur. 

I guess you don't understand the legal differences between 17 year olds and 18 year olds. Most everyone else does.  

1. So Hall was 18 when he signed, not 19. 10 weeks = 2.5 months = almost a quarter of a year. I never said Hall was about the average age of a true sophomore or RS frosh. I simply said repeatedly regardless of his age he is a true sophomore.

2. Yes I understand the legal differences between 17 and 18 year olds. That common law. However if you read through these boards you will find that rationale gets used selectively. When a wrestler changes their mind or makes a bad decision hes suddenly a kid. I even started a thread a few months back asking the question when does a person stop being considered a kid and starts being an adult.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

1. So Hall was 18 when he signed, not 19. 10 weeks = 2.5 months = almost a quarter of a year. I never said Hall was about the average age of a true sophomore or RS frosh. I simply said repeatedly regardless of his age he is a true sophomore.

2. Yes I understand the legal differences between 17 and 18 year olds. That common law. However if you read through these boards you will find that rationale gets used selectively. When a wrestler changes their mind or makes a bad decision hes suddenly a kid. I even started a thread a few months back asking the question when does a person stop being considered a kid and starts being an adult.

1 assuming he signed on Nov 5, 2015 (I believe the first day of the winter sports is the day after election day)  it was 67 days less than 1/5 th of a year. A quarter of a year is more than 13 weeks not less than 10. You can't possibly understand dates as well as I. (what is the rule of  repetition 28? what is the rule of  repetition 400?  calculated in your head, what DoW is Christmas 2798?)

2. I don't care what rationale you are getting from the board. Someone who is 18 years and 1 month old is going to be treated a lot more like an adult than when he was 17 years and 11 months old.  There are many lines of demarcation on the road from infancy to Adulthood, 6, 12, 16, 18, 21, 25, 30. But 18 is now the most important (especially since the voting age was dropped.) 

Carl, JB and John Smith all graduated HS at 17. I was interested in this sometime ago when my kids were in school. Iowa and many other schools used to put birthdates in bios. I remember there were more young for their class than old - young being start college at 17 and old at 19 or more. Ramos was in that spreadsheet, so it was probably 6 or 7 years ago.

1 assuming he signed on Nov 5, 2015 (I believe the first day of the winter sports is the day after election day)  it was 67 days less than 1/5 th of a year. A quarter of a year is more than 13 weeks not less than 10. You can't possibly understand dates as well as I. (what is the rule of  repetition 28? what is the rule of  repetition 400?  calculated in your head, what DoW is Christmas 2798?)

2. I don't care what rationale you are getting from the board. Someone who is 18 years and 1 month old is going to be treated a lot more like an adult than when he was 17 years and 11 months old.  There are many lines of demarcation on the road from infancy to Adulthood, 6, 12, 16, 18, 21, 25, 30. But 18 is now the most important (especially since the voting age was dropped.) 

Please re-read where I said 10 weeks is "ALMOST" a quarter of a year. 10 weeks = 2.5 months which is ALMOST 3 months. 3 months out of 12 months = 1/4 of a year. There for 10 weeks is ALMOST 1/4 of a year.

If you want impress me with your great intelligence, then please use proper grammar.

It should be "You can't possibly understand dates as well as me." not "I"

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Talking about being old I remember when I was wrestling as a 17 year old freshmen in college (Turned 18 in late October) and we had another TRUE Freshmen on the team that was 21.  This young man turned 19 in November of his senior year of high school and then went to prep school where he turned 20 in November and was 21 in November of his freshmen year of college.  There is a world of difference in both physical and social maturity between a young 18 year old freshmen and a 21 year old freshmen.  

There is a world of difference in both physical and social maturity between a young 18 year old freshmen and a 21 year old freshmen.

Incontrovertible fact. I don’t understand why people get so bothered by the discussion of this fact. It’s the difference between freshman Kyle Dake and senior Kyle Dake, redshirt freshman Cael Sanderson (only loss) and the junior year version, baby-faced true freshman Jordan Burroughs and redshirt junior JB, about a year away from his Olympic championship, redshirt freshman David Taylor (couldn’t even crack the lineup) to Hodge winner redshirt junior Magic Man.......

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Talking about being old I remember when I was wrestling as a 17 year old freshmen in college (Turned 18 in late October) and we had another TRUE Freshmen on the team that was 21.  This young man turned 19 in November of his senior year of high school and then went to prep school where he turned 20 in November and was 21 in November of his freshmen year of college.  There is a world of difference in both physical and social maturity between a young 18 year old freshmen and a 21 year old freshmen.  

No one in contesting that there's a physiological difference between the average 17 year old and the average 21 year old.

The fact is your teammate who was 21 was still in fact a true freshman. Or did people make a stink towards him saying he wasn't?