#1 lu_alum

lu_alum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:14 AM

https://a.msn.com/r/...com/r/2/BBGgPJm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum, 05 December 2017 - 07:15 AM.

#2 cjc007

cjc007

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:38 AM

https://a.msn.com/r/...com/r/2/BBGgPJm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They can compete under a neutral country.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#3 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:05 AM

Will the IOC review this for 2020 or is this it?

#4 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:41 AM

They can compete under a neutral country.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Individuals must be approved before they do that.

#5 wfan24

wfan24

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:43 AM

IMO, this is the beginning of the end for the Olympic games. Cutting core events (wrestling), inclusion of many other less Olympic sports (trampoline) to make $$$, and many more, etc. For wrestling for instance, world championships with proper weight classes + the upcoming club championship are a lot more interesting and probably representative than the Olympics. I am sure there is cheating in Russia w.r.t to doping, but its not as if cheating and designer drugs doesn't go on in other big countries with large resources. 

• cjc007, Witherman and GoNotQuietly like this

#6 WildTurkey44

WildTurkey44

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:52 AM

Dirty, rotten, cheating, scandalous country! Sneaking urine samples through a mouse hole? Pathetic! Ban Russia for life in all Olympics. Be done with them

#7 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:13 AM

I'm sure it was all a matter of innocent, silly clerical errors in the Motherland.

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#8 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:50 PM

It was just tainted supplements and over the counter dick pills.

#9 nom

nom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:27 PM

Thank freaking god.  Drives me nuts when there is BLATANT corruption and supposed 'leaders' turn away.  I do hope this can get resolved by the 2020 games, really do.  Russia has time to show they don't hold the rest of the sporting world in contempt.

#10 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:40 PM

I hate to say this, but they’ll just find better ways to cheat. No offense, but those who think this is going to stop them altogether are quite naive. They might cheat a little less though, which counts for something.
  • silver-medal and Coach_J like this

#11 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:30 PM

IMO, this is the beginning of the end for the Olympic games. Cutting core events (wrestling), inclusion of many other less Olympic sports (trampoline) to make $$$, and many more, etc. For wrestling for instance, world championships with proper weight classes + the upcoming club championship are a lot more interesting and probably representative than the Olympics. I am sure there is cheating in Russia w.r.t to doping, but its not as if cheating and designer drugs doesn't go on in other big countries with large resources. 

The Olympics aren't going anywhere and will continue to be enormously popular.  They'll continue to be the pinnacle of this and just about every other sport.  You speak more as a frustrated wrestling fan than anything else, which is understandable.  There's a laundry list of things that are wrong with them for sure, but there is no end in sight to The Olympics for just about all fringe sports. 

#12 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:02 PM

Well hopefully Russia, (and any others) can clean their act. It would be a shame if the Olympics were to become something other than the prestigious World Wide event it has become.

#13 scribe

scribe

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,893 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:43 PM

Good riddance. And to bollucks with the next state sponsored doping regime that gets uncovered.

"This space for rent"

#14 Workers` Wrestling

Workers` Wrestling
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:10 PM

New winter Olympic sport for Russia - Skating on thin ice (sorry, just couldn`t resist...)

Only afraid it will diminish the value of medals in sports dominated by Russia like it did for wrestling in 1984.

• pamela and WildTurkey44 like this

#15 Jaroslav Hasek

Jaroslav Hasek

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:15 AM

encouraging move by the IOC. I honestly expected them to let Russia off the hook. Hope they follow through. Without consequences the Russian politicians will continue to abuse the system and only the athletes and the sports will suffer. 

#16 tec87

tec87

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:26 AM

encouraging move by the IOC. I honestly expected them to let Russia off the hook. Hope they follow through. Without consequences the Russian politicians will continue to abuse the system and only the athletes and the sports will suffer.

Let’s be honest, they did let them off the hook here. While russia does ok in the Winter Olympics, primarily figure skating, they don’t put up as great of a performance in the winter sports lately. This would have hit them hard if they took them out of the summer but they didn’t.
  • ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying likes this
FIRE UP CHIPS!!!!

#17 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:25 AM

I felt it was a pretty big political blow. 2014 Winter Games were held in Russia and now they don’t even get to participate in the event they last hosted. It’s not as bad as taking them out of the Summer Games but that might’ve had more to do with Tokyo being three years away while 2018 is just around the corner.

#18 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:56 PM

I felt it was a pretty big political blow. 2014 Winter Games were held in Russia and now they don’t even get to participate in the event they last hosted. It’s not as bad as taking them out of the Summer Games but that might’ve had more to do with Tokyo being three years away while 2018 is just around the corner.

Having it be the winter olympics is also symbolic because Putin used that 2014 winter games to steal billions of dollars. He used the olympics as an avenue for his own criminal behavior, and in many ways that hurt the olympic brand because his "bid" wasn't actually spent on the games.  

Then there's the fact that the summer olympics are significantly more lucrative/bigger than the winter, so having Russia out won't be as costly. 

#19 Jaroslav Hasek

Jaroslav Hasek

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:34 PM

Let’s be honest, they did let them off the hook here. While russia does ok in the Winter Olympics, primarily figure skating, they don’t put up as great of a performance in the winter sports lately. This would have hit them hard if they took them out of the summer but they didn’t.

this is a pretty big deal imo. letting them off the hook would be believing Russia response to the McLaren report which was to shamefully try and make Rodchenkov the fall guy and not admit that the doping program was state sponsored, and also not acknowledging that Putin was aware of the program and encouraged it. the IOC, to their credit, did not do that, when it would have been easier to try and sweep the whole thing under the rug and go about business as usual. 

I also think the punishment is apt. It allows 'certified' athletes to still compete (i.e. those properly tested for PEDs) and does not allow the Russian government to take any credit for the Olympic performances. It all sound appropriate from my perspective.

the Summer Olympics would be a bigger deal, so we'll see what happens between now and 2020 (and 2018 for that matter) but this is as good a start as I hoped for. 

#20 Jaroslav Hasek

Jaroslav Hasek

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:40 PM

this is a pretty big deal imo. letting them off the hook would be believing Russia response to the McLaren report which was to shamefully try and make Rodchenkov the fall guy and not admit that the doping program was state sponsored, and also not acknowledging that Putin was aware of the program and encouraged it. the IOC, to their credit, did not do that, when it would have been easier to try and sweep the whole thing under the rug and go about business as usual. 

I also think the punishment is apt. It allows 'certified' athletes to still compete (i.e. those properly tested for PEDs) and does not allow the Russian government to take any credit for the Olympic performances. It all sound appropriate from my perspective.

the Summer Olympics would be a bigger deal, so we'll see what happens between now and 2020 (and 2018 for that matter) but this is as good a start as I hoped for. 

OK I take back the part about recognizing that Putin was aware of and encouraged the program. they didn't rule that out but said there is not enough evidence to make that conclusion. 

here's a good rundown of the IOC's Schmid report (which is separate than but mostly based on WADA's McLaren Report).

And here is the report itself, I have not read it in full yet. 

Edited by Jaroslav Hasek, 06 December 2017 - 03:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users