• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:43 AM

You’re correct. I’ve been reading this forum from the last David Taylor championship. I don’t recall you picking PSU that year. The next year you picked tOSU and the last 2 yrs you picked Okie State. As far as the years prior to my finding this forum it’s been mentioned by others you picked against PSU then but I can’t comment since I wasn’t here

I wish you would just pick Okie State again as that has been the magic formula. $25 breakfast coupon still on the table

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Most of it is the simple fact that I like to give scenarios where someone else can win because of the knee jerk reactions I would get from this board's PSU faithful. I may have done it a time or 2 from 2012-2014, but my early picks are always based on returning experience and PSU had way too much for anyone during that run. Even in 2011, it didn't take too long to see that Ruth and Taylor were machines and Cornell wasn't quite where many expected them to be. Still, it did take adding Long for them to be the leaders.

#42 silver-medal

silver-medal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:43 AM

Pantaleo was interviewed after Vegas.  He said that two things had changed--conditioning and footwork.  Nolf is an incredible offensive talent.  To beat him requires either equal offensive capability plus power (Imart) or a style that can shut you down.  I think Pantaleo could become a guy who will prove near impossible to score on.  Maybe I'm too influenced by what I saw in Vegas?  We'll see.

#43 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:51 AM

Nolf is an incredible offensive talent. To beat him requires either equal offensive capability plus power (Imart) or a style that can shut you down. I think Pantaleo could become a guy who will prove near impossible to score on.

He has the athleticism to develop into that. But then how does he win? Shutting Nolf down is a recipe for keeping it close. I suppose he could snake Nolf one time. Panteleo has the explosiveness to be able to blast someone to their ass when he hits a perfect shot. But isn’t that just as likely as Sorensen finally getting over the hump with Zain one time, i.e. very unlikely? I see Nolf and Zain as equally likely to repeat.

#44 pish6969

pish6969

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:57 AM

I think Pantaleo could become a guy who will prove near impossible to score on. Maybe I'm too influenced by what I saw in Vegas? We'll see.

Many worse guys than Nolf score on him. Then you are also forgetting one thing that makes it a nightmare matchup. Pantaleo is not good on bottom and Nolf will turn him if he chooses to. Just depends whether Nolf wants to take him down and let him up or drill him into the ground like Zain

This is no disrespect to Pantaleo. I just think Nolf is the most complete folk style wrestler I’ve ever watched

Edited by pish6969, 06 December 2017 - 09:03 AM.

#45 Flying-Tiger

Flying-Tiger

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,603 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:41 AM

Nope. Most of it is the simple fact that I like to give scenarios where someone else can win because of the knee jerk reactions I would get from this board's PSU faithful. I may have done it a time or 2 from 2012-2014, but my early picks are always based on returning experience and PSU had way too much for anyone during that run. Even in 2011, it didn't take too long to see that Ruth and Taylor were machines and Cornell wasn't quite where many expected them to be. Still, it did take adding Long for them to be the leaders.

Who are you kidding, I think you have done it every year since you joined this forum. I remember debating with you in 2015-16 about how OSU would win along with the guarantee Kilmara would AA. Every year PSU was favored, it was the same argument, you would line up Penn State's lineup next to the most likely contender and then proceed to put forth a best case scenario for the other team while taking a worst case scenario for PSU and then saying how there was nothing unreasonable about it. Then I would call you out by pointing to the obvious flaws in your logic and then be proven correct in March. It has almost become a tradition on themat.  

In other news:

Nolf will destroy Pantaleo, how is that even a debate?

Since so many are putting forth tOSU best case scenario, here is Penn State's:

133: low AA/RD 12

141: low to mid AA

149: National Champion

157: National Champion

165: National Champion

174: National Champion

184: National Champion

197: Mid-High AA

285: High AA (Finalist) 

Edited by Flying-Tiger, 06 December 2017 - 10:04 AM.

• pish6969 likes this
A Kinder, Gentler Machine Gun Hand

#46 pish6969

pish6969

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:49 AM

Who are you kidding, I think you have done it every year since you joined this forum. I remember debating with you in 2015-16 about how you said OSU could win along with the guarantee Kilmara would AA. Every year it was the same argument, you would line up Penn State's lineup next to the most likely contender and then proceed to put forth a best case scenario for the other team while taking a worst case scenario for PSU and then saying how there was nothing unreasonable about it. Then I would call you out on it and be proven correct in March.

Nolf will destroy Pantelone, how is that even a debate?

Since everyone if putting forth tOSU best case scenario, here is Penn States:

133: low AA/RD 12
141: low to mid AA
149: National Champion
157: National Champion
165: National Chmapion
174: National Champion
184: National Champion
197: Mid-High AA
285: High AA (Finalist)

Agree with all as long as it’s NLee at 141. I see Cortez as 1 win max at tourney

Edited by pish6969, 06 December 2017 - 09:50 AM.

#47 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:10 AM

1) Wrestlers are allowed to get better. Pantaleo looked in Vegas like a guy who had figured out his own style and was comfortable in it.
2) He's very strong and hard to score on. His stance and power will slow down Nolf a lot.
3) He's very good at capitalizing on mistakes as we saw vs Berger and Micah.

Watch his video in Vegas. I'm sure it won't sway you but he looked dmn good.

Major at the minumum.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#48 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:25 AM

I swear to you I don’t want to argue. I just want you to change your pick.

What is number 1 breakfast place in your area? $25 gift card if you please pick someone else

Better be careful as a $25 coupon is almost worthless at some fine French restaurants where a good breakfast can set you back $350 or so - before anything on the wine list.

• pish6969 likes this

#49 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:31 AM

and yet you keep calling PSU the favorites, which is clearly not the case.

I don’t think you can confidently say either is the favorite right now

#50 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:36 AM

Key question: who is worse off, Nato or Cenzo? We know Nato got dinged up pretty good and even saw the injury on tape. Rumor is Cenzo is struggling with weight (per Flo Rsdio). Nato too has a rough cut which got a lot rougher when he dinged up his knee (how do you even cut weight without a knee). It looks like they’re both gong to miss a similar amount of time and get started with their seasons around the same time.

These unknowns add even more drama to it all.

#51 pish6969

pish6969

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:54 AM

Better be careful as a $25 coupon is almost worthless at some fine French restaurants where a good breakfast can set you back $350 or so - before anything on the wine list.

$350 for breakfast! Screw that. I’m happy with my sausage egg McMuffin, hash brown and large unsweetened iced tea with lemon. $5.33

And please no one come here and chime in what a sausage egg McMuffin is made of. I don’t want to know

Edited by pish6969, 06 December 2017 - 10:55 AM.

• Eagle26 and rcoates1 like this

#52 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,925 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:11 PM

$350 for breakfast! Screw that. I’m happy with my sausage egg McMuffin, hash brown and large unsweetened iced tea with lemon. $5.33

And please no one come here and chime in what a sausage egg McMuffin is made of. I don’t want to know

Even if you did know you probably wouldn't care and still eat it.
  • pish6969 likes this

#53 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,544 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:11 PM

Do people forget Nolf TF Pantaleo in freestyle this past June. Really wasn't close.
  • denny likes this

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#54 cjc007

cjc007

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:23 PM

A real butter and egg man!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • pish6969 likes this

#55 PSUNatChamps

PSUNatChamps

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:11 PM

Glad to see not one team is a clear favorite.  The suspense and excitement kills me!  It should be a fun year regardless of who wins it.  Ohio State has put together a nice team and with PSU weak in some spots, it could be real close.

As for Pantaleo's success against Nolf, it won't be any better or closer than it was with Retherford.  He might be beaten in a different way, but there will be no doubt.  With Nolf, you never know what offense you're going to see.

#56 Eagle26

Eagle26

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:46 PM

I have to disagree

The top 5 guys for each team gives a slight edge tp PSU - two are potential head to head match ups so those results obviously makes a big difference.  BP favors PSU by 5 to 10 pts at most.

Zain vs Snyder
Nolf vs Moore
Bo N vs MyMar
Hall vs BoJo
ViJo vs NaTo

Now compare NCAA point scoring potential for the remaining 5 guys in the lineup.  I am going to include Lee even though his RS hasn't been pulled yet.

Nevills vs MiJo
Cassar vs Hayes
Lee (or JC) vs McKenna
Keener vs Pletcher
Scnupp vs Campbell

The point scoring potential for this group greatly favors Ohio St both in potential AA/placement points and in likely Bonus points. It's hard to look at these two line ups and see any way that PSU can be favored entering into the NCAA tourney.  Obviously that assumes that both lineups are relatively healthy.  As stated in previous posts if either team loses someone it changes things.

This is a good way to look at... I haven't thought of it that way before. Still looking at those match ups I can see PSU still being the favorite. It looks to me that the scoring potential in all of the top 5 guys goes to PSU. I can also see Nevills out scoring Micah, so there's six of ten. While some of the bottom 4 are much better for tOSU, those points don't amount to much.

#57 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:33 PM

Do people forget Nolf TF Pantaleo in freestyle this past June. Really wasn't close.

Nolf is going to bonus him for sure. I don’t understand why people think it will be competitive

#58 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,432 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:33 PM

Did someone say he wasn't?

Edited by hammerlockthree, 06 December 2017 - 03:35 PM.

#59 denny

denny

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,732 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:36 PM

Yeah, that one knocked me off balance for ohhhh 2 minutes or so.

• TBar1977 likes this

#60 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,544 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:55 PM

Yeah, that one knocked me off balance for ohhhh 2 minutes or so.

7 minutes with Jason Nolf is like 14 years in a dog's life. 

• swoopdown, rcoates1 and LLB like this

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users