• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:44 AM

After AAing his true freshman year and taking my a red shirt last year, he is looking excellent

Apparently Molibaro has taken him under his wing and is spending a lot of time with him. It shows.

He has a last minute win vs Chandler Rogers

Beat Wick and Campbell at CKLV

16-0

He is in a stacked weight class, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him upset one of the top 3

Where does he end up?

#2 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:49 AM

He's good at winning, sorta like Dake, though Dake was big and healthy as a true freshmen, Mcfadden was small and injured. You can't call him a top contender yet, but stay tuned. 

#3 KTG119

KTG119

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:44 AM

I'm a big fan of his but don't see him taking out the top 3 guys yet. 

#4 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:11 AM

McFadden is good but he isn't Massa/Joseph/Martinez good at this point. I would put him on the same tier as Marinelli.

#5 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:22 AM

Joseph wasn't that good for the bulk of the season last year either. On one level he had somewhat of a honeymoon ncaa performance. He was losing to both massa and Lewis prior to even making the finals.

#6 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:27 AM

Joseph wasn't that good for the bulk of the season last year either. On one level he had somewhat of a honeymoon ncaa performance. He was losing to both massa and Lewis prior to even making the finals.

Fortunately for him they decided to wrestle the matches to completion instead of declaring a winner partway through.

• Perry, PhiferFuqua, JBluegill133 and 1 other like this

#7 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,812 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:28 AM

McFadden is good but he isn't Massa/Joseph/Martinez good at this point. I would put him on the same tier as Marinelli.

This is fair and I agree. I will say I think he is as intelligent a wrestler as the top tier while Marinelli is not, but he lacks the tools to beat the top guys at the moment, in my opinion. I could see him pulling off one upset but can’t see him stringing together two or three.

He has progressed very nicely and steadily since HS. I remember being quite surprised when he beat Isaiah White in HS and thought it was a fluke. I remember thinking White was the better college prospect (if you don’t count grades) and McFadden had more capped upside. I was wrong. McFadden has proven to be much better than I expected.

#8 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:53 AM

He was never losing to Massa. Takedowns were 2-0

Takedowns were 3-1 against Lewis.  Daniel's mat wrestling almost won that match. 

Edited by LemonPie, 06 December 2017 - 05:58 AM.

• PhiferFuqua likes this

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#9 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,589 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:54 AM

He was never losing to Massa. Takedowns were 2-0

Agreed.  Although, it felt like was losing when ESPN flashed that graphic that said Massa had 197,362,458 shots to zero!

#10 Gantry

Gantry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,715 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:20 AM

If you take away his fluke first match - Joseph's losses were in OT to Isaac Jordan (later avenged) and two losses to Imart.  Almost majored Chad Walsh. 

The bulk of the season he was really really good last year. 

• Housebuye likes this

#11 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:19 AM

Nerd, what makes you think Marinelli doesn't have that IQ? I don't think he is as freestyle-savvy as some of those guys but I wouldn't consider Marinelli be a low-IQ wrestler.

#12 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,812 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:04 AM

Nerd, what makes you think Marinelli doesn't have that IQ? I don't think he is as freestyle-savvy as some of those guys but I wouldn't consider Marinelli be a low-IQ wrestler.

Just as context, I like Marinelli a lot. I was super high on him in HS as a college prospect and have consistently said I think he will outperform.

My IQ comment wasn’t meant to suggest his isn’t high, just that McFadden’s is higher. I see Marinelli as more one-dimensional, without the tools or chops to adjust mid-match as well as some.

#13 BLT

BLT

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:04 AM

Not to mention he beat McFadden something like 8-4 in FS.

#14 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:07 AM

Didn’t Alex lose to McFadden in their first matchup in a tight one then beat him convincingly the second time around?

Seems to demonstrate the ability to make adjustments albeit it wasn’t mid match.

#15 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,812 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:09 AM

Not to mention he beat McFadden something like 8-4 in FS.

Having higher IQ doesn’t mean being better.

#16 LaxHawk174

LaxHawk174

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:28 AM

Didn’t Alex lose to McFadden in their first matchup in a tight one then beat him convincingly the second time around?

Seems to demonstrate the ability to make adjustments albeit it wasn’t mid match.

He won the first one 7-5 in a close one at the JR Open, then the second one 10-4 at JR WTTs. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users