Nikki Haley threatening US Olympic Boycott

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 KSchlosser

KSchlosser
  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:29 AM

Given the state of US relations with the world today and the way they were in 1980 when we boycotted the Moscow Olympics, is it the right call to keep our athletes home or do we send them to South Korea?  An attack on the Games by the DPRK would be an attack on the world, are they really willing to risk that? Is this just politics or should the US/athletes/other countries really be worried?  Would this be a mistake by the US or a safe call?  I realize that this is the winter Olympics but is it even worth asking on this board?

http://www.cnn.com/2...orea/index.html

Edited by KSchlosser, 07 December 2017 - 04:08 AM.

#2 Jaroslav Hasek

Jaroslav Hasek

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:05 AM

your questions in order, imho.

1) no we should send our athletes

2) it's very doubtful NK would attack SK as it would mean the end of their current regime. but there is always a long tail risk.

3) I would worry the same amount as at any games. The higher the profile an event, the higher the likelihood of any kind of attack, but the risk is still very low. 

4) it would be a mistake imo. there would be a larger risk of dying in a car accident on the way to the airport than in a NK or terrorist attack at the Olympics. 

5) probably not but maybe you'll feel like the post was worth it. 

• nom likes this

#3 dmm53

dmm53
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:52 PM

Maybe traitor Trump is trying to show sympathy for Putin.

The Trump administration is the most disgusting, corrupt and lying administration in American history.
  • TripNSweep, Frank_Rizzo, Housebuye and 1 other like this

#4 scribe

scribe

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,755 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:12 AM

Cheap politics

"This space for rent"

#5 Paul158

Paul158
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:30 AM

Maybe traitor Trump is trying to show sympathy for Putin.

The Trump administration is the most disgusting, corrupt and lying administration in American history.

Dmm53.. Really. Where were the last 9 years.? America is rebounding from the terrible fiasco from the 8 years Obama was in office.

#6 AKHUNTER

AKHUNTER

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:18 AM

the one great thing the obama administration gave us was 10 TRILLION more dollars of debt and now all our weak infrastructure, such as bridges and such, has been totally repaired!...... oh uh wait

#7 WRfan1

WRfan1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:42 PM

debt paying off unnecessary never ending wars.  The markets and economy up every quarter for the last 8 years and job growth for 76 consecutive months prior to DJT.  Lets just hope this new giveaway to the rich doesn't derail the momentum created after the bush recession.  

• Frank_Rizzo, pamela and AMastrandrea like this

#8 fanta

fanta

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:54 PM

Obama vs Kennedy

Attached Files

#9 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:39 AM

You think North Korea is going commit large scale suicide at the WINTER Olympics? For what? So these guys can't play frozen shuffleboard anymore?

norwaypants_wide-0a57496cc2f3ba5a75a8e9d

Edited by steamboat_charlie, 09 December 2017 - 01:40 AM.

#10 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,159 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:43 AM

It would appear we have easily triggered snowflakes on both sides of the political spectrum and some golfers who took up curling.
  • Jaroslav Hasek likes this

#11 AKHUNTER

AKHUNTER

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:15 AM

debt paying off unnecessary never ending wars.  The markets and economy up every quarter for the last 8 years and job growth for 76 consecutive months prior to DJT.  Lets just hope this new giveaway to the rich doesn't derail the momentum created after the bush recession.  

when you BORROW 10 TRILLION dollars on top of the income you take in ANYONE could have growth. But you really didn't grow.... you make it LOOK like growth...... till the bill comes due. When that happens it isn't going to be pretty and the American public just keeps saying ......spend more spend more... we are absolutely KILLING future generations before they are even born.

#12 pamela

pamela

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:38 AM

It would appear we have easily triggered snowflakes on both sides of the political spectrum and some golfers who took up curling.

It's true, I honestly think curling is awesome! 😭😭😭

#13 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,159 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:15 AM

when you BORROW 10 TRILLION dollars on top of the income you take in ANYONE could have growth. But you really didn't grow.... you make it LOOK like growth...... till the bill comes due. When that happens it isn't going to be pretty and the American public just keeps saying ......spend more spend more... we are absolutely KILLING future generations before they are even born.

I will take, "what is a easily triggered snowflake" for 200 Alex.
  • pamela likes this

#14 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,159 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:17 AM

It's true, I honestly think curling is awesome! 😭😭😭

I have been a fan for years. One Olympic games there was a thing to support and ridicule it at the sametime so I watched. Took a little bit but I ended up getting it, and have been a fan ever since.
  • pamela likes this

#15 AKHUNTER

AKHUNTER

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:16 PM

I will take, "what is a easily triggered snowflake" for 200 Alex.

msgallan........... you are a lil bit confused. I am NOT on either side. I am on the side of fiscal restraint. If you see nothing wrong with being 20 + TRILLION dollars of debt then you are part of the problem. Not to mention "snowflakes" are liberal. "deplorable's are conservative.

#16 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,431 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:24 AM

You think North Korea is going commit large scale suicide at the WINTER Olympics? For what? So these guys can't play frozen shuffleboard anymore?

norwaypants_wide-0a57496cc2f3ba5a75a8e9d

Do not attempt to sully the good name of precision stone sliding my good sir. It is a time honored tradition and should be spoken of in great revelry. Generation of fine skips and hars workin sweeps have raised this fine sport to the elustriious position it is in today in order to dawn such fine tailored wears.
  • OKnowwhut and pamela like this

#17 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,144 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:57 AM

You have to be in surprisingly great shape to Curl.  You need an iron grip with your dominant hand and forearm strength to create a piston like motion long enough to get the job done.

#18 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:13 AM

You have to be in surprisingly great shape to Curl.  You need an iron grip with your dominant hand and forearm strength to create a piston like motion long enough to get the job done.

An iron grip... forearm strength... piston like motion long enough to get the job done...

I didn't realize I'd actually been curling all these years 

#19 OKnowwhut

OKnowwhut

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:34 AM

I watch Curling and I don’t know… why?
However, there can be no argument that Curling is cool.
Me thinks, the key to becoming a broom-less, albeit fierce bystander; is to icily embrace the glide, and with nerves of chill, negotiate all the fine gradations of stone management.

• pamela likes this

#20 KSchlosser

KSchlosser
  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:16 AM

I thought by posting this there would be a discussion as to whether or not we should send an American team to the Olympics with security concerns.

I say go in spite of threats because they are more likely idle threats given the potential international condemnation and subsaquent fall out.

Unfortunately a portion of it became a budget debate, fortunately Haley stated today that the US will go.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.3689561

I do appreciate the debate on the merits of curling and the discussion of the sport.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

hammerlockthree