• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,716 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:17 AM

If you are like me you probably think that MyMar is good but no Bo Nickal and chalk up his 2016 NCAA championship to a fluke and feel 2017 was more representative of what he is capable of. That is how I used to feel but after Cliff Keen I think that may be all backwards. Maybe the MyMar who beat Nickal in NCAAs is the real deal and he simply slipped his sophomore year, much like Cox did. 

#2 gowrestle

gowrestle

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:20 AM

We will see.

#3 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:23 AM

If you are like me you probably think that MyMar is good but no Bo Nickal and chalk up his 2016 NCAA championship to a fluke and feel 2017 was more representative of what he is capable of. That is how I used to feel but after Cliff Keen I think that may be all backwards. Maybe the MyMar who beat Nickal in NCAAs is the real deal and he simply slipped his sophomore year, much like Cox did. 

I think Nickal is the favorite, but MyMar proved last year at B1G's that his NCAA win was not a fluke. MyMar is absolutely capable of winning NCAA's this year.

• TheOhioState, NYWRESTLER94 and Yellow_Medal like this

#4 WrestlingFan89

WrestlingFan89

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:23 AM

He will be a champion again this season.
  • NYWRESTLER94 likes this

#5 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:29 AM

Mymar looks noticeably bigger this year and I think that is helping him a lot. I'm not sure who to pick between him and nickal but my gut tells me nickal pulls through again this year.

#6 PSUMike

PSUMike

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 972 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:49 AM

Bo has won 4 times in 6 meetings. Bo has only lost to one other guy in his career other than MyMar.  Martin has quite a few head scratching losses to guys he was a lot more talented than. Bo has 3 career losses. Martin has 15. 

Bo is the substantive favorite and rightfully so. It's obviously not out the realm of possibility that Myles wins but I wouldn't hold my breath. 

#7 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:52 AM

He's capable. Will probably keep Downey out of the finals.

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#8 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:04 AM

It's worth noting that the Myles Martin that won NCAA's in 2016 was a true freshman.  The bracket broke perfectly, and the rest is history. 

He didn't regress in 2017.  He was improved materially in every position.  He needed time to grow into the weight, but his placement was representative of the Myles we saw during the regular season. 

This year, it appears he's taken another step.  Is he on a steeper trajectory than Nickal? I think so. The question is whether he's eclipsed him yet.

• TheOhioState, LoStNuMbEr and silver-medal like this

#9 NYWRESTLER94

NYWRESTLER94

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:06 AM

He's capable. Will probably keep Downey out of the finals.

Think Downey’s going 197 if he’s eligible to compete
  • LemonPie likes this

#10 aknipp

aknipp

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:38 AM

If MyMar makes the finals (a very big IF)  then I suspect he beats Bo. 

However there are guys who can beat MyMar in the quarters and semis and I am not certain how likely it is that he makes the finals. 

#11 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:40 AM

Martin is capable of beating anybody in his weight class. Was fun watching him wrestle Venz from NU last weekend. Venz was horsing everybody until he ran into Martin in the semifinals. Can't wait to see Venz vs Nickal...that match will end in a quick fall for somebody (probably Nickal)!

#12 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 10,679 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:20 PM

This year's Destroyer of Worlds!

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#13 Fishhook

Fishhook

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:04 PM

Bo has won 4 times in 6 meetings. Bo has only lost to one other guy in his career other than MyMar.  Martin has quite a few head scratching losses to guys he was a lot more talented than. Bo has 3 career losses. Martin has 15. 

Bo is the substantive favorite and rightfully so. It's obviously not out the realm of possibility that Myles wins but I wouldn't hold my breath. 

Martin has won 2 of the last 3; for the NCAA champ, and in big ten semis. 

#14 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:10 PM

Martin has won 2 of the last 3; for the NCAA champ, and in big ten semis.

Or you could say they've split the last 4 meetings.

#15 maolsen

maolsen

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:37 PM

Or you could say they've split the last 4 meetings.

Recency matters, Id still probably pick Nickal, but hey, if Taylor were to beat Dake 2 out of 3 times next year, I'm sure people would start picking Tay... oh they pick him to win with 0 wins, nevermind. Mymar has shown he can win and thats all that matters. If you want to look at it as Nickal wining 4 out of 6 thats fine, but they are batting 500 at the ncaas, so Mymar has a chance.

#16 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:12 PM

Recency matters, Id still probably pick Nickal, but hey, if Taylor were to beat Dake 2 out of 3 times next year, I'm sure people would start picking Tay... oh they pick him to win with 0 wins, nevermind. Mymar has shown he can win and thats all that matters. If you want to look at it as Nickal wining 4 out of 6 thats fine, but they are batting 500 at the ncaas, so Mymar has a chance.

Did you read what i wrote in post #3 saying MyMar absolutely can beat Nickal?

#17 treep2000

treep2000

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:10 AM

Does MyMar appear to have improved?  Yes.  Does MyMar appear to have filled out into the weight?  Yes.  Could MyMar beat Nickal?  Yes.  Could MyMar beat anyone else at 184 this year?  Yes.  This qualifies him as a "contender" for the NCAA title, no doubt.  

BUT... proclaiming him the favorite, given that we still haven't seen him against Preisch (Nickal beat 3-2) and Renda (a guy who competes, alot, everywhere, and at a high level), is a bit premature. He's fairly ranked at #2 at this point, and see him continuing to hold that ranking.  

#18 LoStNuMbEr

LoStNuMbEr

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,927 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:53 AM

MyMar looked fantastic at CKLV.  I suspect Bo is less of a lock to win than it might appear

#19 gopher_fan_90

gopher_fan_90

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:00 AM

As much as I respect BTF and TBar, I hate agreeing with them. Yes, anything can happen at NCAA's and MyMar has won before, but I'm still going to Vegas with my money on Bo. Don't forget he took down the 2X champ Dean, who himself had a win over one of PSU's golden boys. If Bo stays in his head, he is almost unstoppable. While there aren't many "locks" this year, Bo is close to being one in my eyes. 

• BigTimeFan likes this

#20 LoStNuMbEr

LoStNuMbEr

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,927 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:08 AM

As much as I respect BTF and TBar, I hate agreeing with them. Yes, anything can happen at NCAA's and MyMar has won before, but I'm still going to Vegas with my money on Bo. Don't forget he took down the 2X champ Dean, who himself had a win over one of PSU's golden boys. If Bo stays in his head, he is almost unstoppable. While there aren't many "locks" this year, Bo is close to being one in my eyes. 

The thing is, MyMar has already beaten Nickal twice in high stakes matches.  I think stylistically he presents a challenge for Bo, and he is looking vastly improved.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still picking Bo (and have him on my fantasy team) but I think its far from a done deal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users