Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Attendance Wisconsin/Maryland

Maryland is a solid 3rd tier team. They actually look better this year than they have in years, especially considering Bannsiter is out until next semester.

Wisconsin is solid this year. They might sneak a couple guys on the podium.

I honestly thought they might turn into a perrenial top 10 team, and might have if the Jordans had continued the legacy. I like Ohio’s State so I’m not complaining, but interesting to think about

Diehl looked injured to me, but in general, Maryland looked really bad (other than @HWT), out of shape and unable to get out on bottom. They need a change.

At 125 Cray looked good for the first 4 minutes but faded horribly in the third, failed to bail out of a bad position on top and gave up a 6 pt. move....not sure what he was thinking.

Edited by gromit

If they haven’t already. NWCA needs to hire a high quality marketing company to prepare and conduct seminars targeted toward each division one program. Filling seats probably is the best way to stem wrestling’s bleeding.

It's a good idea.

The head coaches in a majority of programs really fail that this.

If they haven’t already. NWCA needs to hire a high quality marketing company to prepare and conduct seminars targeted toward each division one program. Filling seats probably is the best way to stem wrestling’s bleeding.

Exactly. 

For smaller D1 programs, follow the SDSU model. 

Every D1 program in Pennsylvania, Ohio, NJ, Illinois and California has a large wrestling population to pull from. Start there. Get the people who wrestled to follow the sport. They will then bring their friends.

I was a not very good high school wrestler in Georgia. I have successfully gotten about 10 people to be passionate about the D1 season.

3  became real fans that pay attention throughout the season and not just for NCAAs. Each picked a team to follow. I bought each some gear for the school they chose and now they are into it. I did this mostly so I would have someone to talk to about wrestling, but it has worked out. Now they are starting to bring their friends in. 

At this point, for NCAA finals, we will probably have a party at my house with about 25-30 people. It might up being the largest viewing party for the finals in Georgia, excluding teams and clubs that watch together. 

We even have some MMA guys planning on coming, along with a world level BJJ guy. 

Nwca annual coaches conference is led off with a leadership class for new coaches with mentors from successful programs leading different groups to discuss marketing, fundraising, recruiting, and public outreach. I actually think this class is offered 2 times a year. All in attendance are new coaches which vary from junior college to Naia to D1. Some of the mentors in the past have been Brian Smith of Missouri, Nick Mitchell of Grand View, and Nebraska Kearneys head coach whose name is escaping me.

I will watch the video of the dual when I get home tonight, but I went to the Badger site to see some of the highlights.  The field house is a big box with seating around all 4 sides.  It appears that the cameras were in front of the main section where most of the crowd sits.  Only a few fans sit in the other 3 sections. Unfortunately, that's what you see in the background of the video, giving the incorrect impression that the seats were mainly empty.  My guess is that they had around 2,000 fans since they did a nice job of promoting this locally, and they had 2 of the top local highschool wrestling teams wrestle their dual prior to the Badger dual.  That alone was expected to help draw more fans than usual.

The key to public outreach is understanding how the media thinks and operates. The NWCA has ignored that essential component for years. Until they reach out to a media expert to mentor the coaches, they will only get what they have always gotten...very little media attention. To make no real changes and then expect big changes is pure folly.

I will watch the video of the dual when I get home tonight, but I went to the Badger site to see some of the highlights.  The field house is a big box with seating around all 4 sides.  It appears that the cameras were in front of the main section where most of the crowd sits.  Only a few fans sit in the other 3 sections. Unfortunately, that's what you see in the background of the video, giving the incorrect impression that the seats were mainly empty.  My guess is that they had around 2,000 fans since they did a nice job of promoting this locally, and they had 2 of the top local highschool wrestling teams wrestle their dual prior to the Badger dual.  That alone was expected to help draw more fans than usual.

I was going to write this exact same post but you beat me to it.  I haven't seen this dual yet, but having been to many Wisconsin meets and seen many on BTN, I am almost positive this is what happened.

This is a good point. Without dedicated wrestling venues like Grace Hall, putting 1K people in a basketball arena looks empty. This is why Dresser is ahead of the curve from a marketing perspective. He started using the Moss Arts Center @ VT instead of Cassell to create a "must see" environment. Probably holds less than 1K, but you now have to scramble to get a seat. You then use Cassell (basketball arena) for mega events like Penn State or Iowa, where you might get 4 or 5 thousand people.

I would wager that most coaches don't think outside of the box like Dresser.

Nwca annual coaches conference is led off with a leadership class for new coaches with mentors from successful programs leading different groups to discuss marketing, fundraising, recruiting, and public outreach. I actually think this class is offered 2 times a year. All in attendance are new coaches which vary from junior college to Naia to D1. Some of the mentors in the past have been Brian Smith of Missouri, Nick Mitchell of Grand View, and Nebraska Kearneys head coach whose name is escaping me.

This looks good. Also, a good marketing company can make targeted recommendations to indivisible programs as no two markets are identical and no two program structures are identical.

This is another easy fix, why In the hell do they set up cameras on the same side as the crowd? either make the crowd sit facing cameras or maybe not so easy, get camera shots opposite crowd side.

I mean someone could make sure of that at each broadcast event. TV or streaming.  It sure makes the casual viewer, surfer, more apt to stop and see what is going on, if he sees the crazy fans on the screen!

By the way, keeping Maryland coaches allows Goldman a chance to Win a dual every year! Keep it down, Sounds like you guys are trying to ruin the annual fight for last in the BIG.

Edited by southend

No qualms with the recommendations here, but to be a little bit fair, finals are days away and student attendance is taking its usual dip rn across all sports. Like the volleyball tournament is going on, I think, and student fans aren't going; and even the blue chip basketball arenas will be a little less noisy through the holidays and definitely during finals.

I'm not saying that WI wrestling attendance will magically fix itself after finals, just that now is a particularly tough time. It also seemed a little weird to schedule a fan appreciation night now of all times.

I was going to write this exact same post but you beat me to it.  I haven't seen this dual yet, but having been to many Wisconsin meets and seen many on BTN, I am almost positive this is what happened.

yeah, I normally attend every Badger home dual and I almost always sit in the middle of the front row closest to the action.  The camera's are setup in front of me on the outside edges of the mat, with the scorer's table across the way, and the 'away' fan section in the background.  The home crowd is never shown.  Damn shame they do it that way.

Edited by mgrimm

yeah, I normally attend every Badger home dual and I almost always sit in the middle of the front row closest to the action.  The camera's are setup in front of me on the outside edges of the mat, with the scorer's table across the way, and the 'away' fan section in the background.  The home crowd is never shown.  Damn shame they do it that way.

This is marketing 101 for dummies, in the opening easy to read introduction chapter in bold bright easy to find lettering.

Someone needs to read this out loud and slowly and clearly and maybe with a catchy jingle for certain D1 coaches who are not getting it.

Wisconsin does very little to promote the sport.  Barry is terrible at talking to people and the AD will always be fine with the program as long as they don't cause any trouble.

This.  They are content with being slightly above mediocre.

You are right.

I spoke with him recently. He is an incredibly nice guy, but Maryland is in the Big10, has funding, and is in a not terrible wrestling area (Virginia, Maryland). They should be better than they are. 

Don't forget PA.  College Park is less than 2hrs from Harrisburg PA.

It's amazing how far Maryland has fallen after McCoy took over for Santoro.  Pat had no problem recruiting top PA talent.