Well said Billy

mspart

#62 GoNotQuietly

GoNotQuietly

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:27 AM

I don't know if we should scrap the whole qualification system or not, but I sure would like to see a match where Burroughs is penalized early and severely for punching Dake in the face...

Honestly though, these guys are soooo close it is almost certain that their matches will come down to Reffing and be controversial one way or another everytime.

#63 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:18 AM

Also beat Sergei Beloglazov, who I consider one of the two or three best ever. It was an exhibition match and up a weight for Sergei, but that match showed me something.

Not to mention that Sergei had been retired from wrestling for more than a year (since the '88 Olympics) when the match happened. Smith had just won his fourth consecutive World gold less than eight weeks before that match took place.

• pamela and TheRealOne9050 like this

#64 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:29 AM

The problem with this is viewpoint is that it fails to recognize how absurd our qualifying system is currently. Guys like Dake are getting screwed, so they have a very legitimate reason to whine. And as much as I have praised JB's mental toughness, the field is always titled in his favor during qualifying and he does not hestitate to take full advantage because he knows he will get away with it. I guess that is being smart. So Dake has to endure a direct physical disadvantage, knows he will lose every 50/50 and probably 60/40 call, knows his opponent will be given a huge lattitude to put his hands in his eyes, knows that if he even thinks about taking a backward step he will be put on the clock while other guys get to flee all the way across the mat with no consequences, etc. The whole affair is a mental beating. But the third match was just physical exhaustion. 

What did Cary Kolat's dad always tell him? "You gotta be 10 points better than the referee."

For as much as I like Kyle Dake, I despise excuse making even more, especially if you already know you're at a disadvantage going into the match.

• pamela likes this

#65 pjm46

pjm46

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:23 PM

Hey may match or beat the overall numbers but he can't do 6 in a row. Smith was magic without a lapse when it was all on the line. His signature move worked his entire freestyle career and only got better as time marched on. Burroughs blast double has slowed down and is now almost gone.
Burroughs is an all time great but John Smith is the greatest this nation has ever had. Six in a row and Master of Technique, Wrestler of the year even beats Baumgardner's haul of hardware.

Smith started getting his medals at a younger age. He was 27 in 92 and JB was 28 in 2016.

You can talk about JB slowing down but he still bounced back at 29 to win another gold and I still think the constant blood stoppages hurt his game in 16. You can say his double is his signature move but his constant reshots were/are just as dangerous.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
  • TheRealOne9050 likes this

#66 TheRealOne9050

TheRealOne9050

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:20 PM

Well, to be fair, 1992 wasn't a great year for Smith. He managed to bring the gold home, nonetheless.

• pjm46 likes this

#67 straggler

straggler

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:53 AM

This whole Dake/Burroughs discussion tends to go around in a circle. 

Burroughs is a great champion, and part of his greatness is his mental toughness and his incredible desire to win. 

But that does not mean that the qualifying system we have is completely fair. It is the only qualifying system I have ever heard of that imposes a direct physical disadvantage on the challenger. When the margins are razor thin, when you are trying to unseat a champion like Burroughs, that is quite a hill to climb. That is not an excuse, that is a fact. The facts are unfair. Now I have also stated that with Dake he has had a tendency to let it get to him. But realistically how could it not get to him?

Because for me the natural consequence of a qualifying system that so emphasizes spot protection is that it effects the calls. Now a large part of that with Burroughs is that he is the champion. Like a champion boxer he is going to get the benefit; that's the way sports work. But part of that is the system itself. If you have qualifying where one side is being physically penalized, it is clear who the official favorite is. And that inevitably affects the calls down the line. The US Nationals match was a clear example imho. It is one thing to say "wrestle beyond the refs", but it is quite another when you have to do that against Burroughs. And Burroughs is smart. He knows he will get a lot of lattitude and he takes advantage. He knows he can get hands to the face. He knows Dake cannot take a backward step or the shot clock will immediately be imposed. 

In the end that's the system. And it is presumptuous to ever bet against a multi-time champion like Burroughs under any circumstances. But all I am suggesting is that in Dake trying to unseat Burroughs the field in qualifying is titled and that it is as much a psychological grind as a physical one. So I get any frustration a competitor like Dake has ever expressed. It is unfair to discount Burroughs in any way. But then again questioning Dake's mental toughness is unfair too. He has had quite the mountain to climb. 

#68 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:38 AM

Burroughs and Smith and who is better in their prime?

I still like Mickey Mantle for the NY Yankees.

#69 PSUMike

PSUMike

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:29 AM

57 - Gilman (returning silver)

61 - Stieber (former world gold)

65 - Zain (still has a lot to proven in free)

70 - Green (2x world medalist)

74 - JB (enough said)

79 - Dake (1st world team but strong medal shot, possible gold)

86 - Taylor (1st world team but strong medal shot)

92 - Cox (2x world medalist)

97 - Snyder (enough said)

HWT - Gwiz (returning bronze)

If this is what the US's line up looks like next year, I feel really good about the future. 

#70 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:32 PM

74 - JB (enough said)

If this is what the US's line up looks like next year, I feel really good about the future. 

Best team we have ever had!

#71 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:54 PM

Has that potential.

Edited by wrestlingnerd, 03 January 2018 - 05:41 PM.

#72 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

Love the 10 UWW weight classes again. NCAA has 10 weight classes. Perfect.

#73 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:23 PM

Wish the Olympics would do it too!

#74 PSUMike

PSUMike

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:33 PM

Only 3 guys who don't have medals to their names and 2 of those 3 have good shots to do it this year. Dare I say they are likely to it and I'd be more surprised if they didn't medal than if they did. 

#75 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:41 PM

1993: 4 gold medals. Brands x 2, Melvin Douglas, Bruce. 1 silver: Dave Schultz.

#76 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:53 PM

74 - JB (enough said)

Not so sure Stieber makes that weight on same day weigh-in.  But a great line-up.

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#77 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:27 AM

Streebler needs to pack on some pounds.

#78 PSUMike

PSUMike

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:10 AM

Not so sure Stieber makes that weight on same day weigh-in.  But a great line-up.

Yeah I agree. That's the only spot I think is iffy. Maple would be a suitable replacement though. 

#79 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:23 AM

Wouldn't it be great if the NCAA followed the UWW weight classes? They make a hell of a lot more sense for American athletes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users