Sign in to follow this  
Buckxell

Iowa’s niche recruiting strategy

Male pattern baldness kids. It’s a rare thing for a college kid and about one third of their lineup is composed of them. Very interesting. Do they have any incoming recruits to continue this trend? Maybe it’s turning into a place that’s somewhat of a support group for each other?? They could be cornering the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's get some things straight.

First off Marinelli looks like a 35 year old hitman in some sort of sadistic witness protection program. Secondly some of you (ahem) "gentlemen" need to read the following:

1. Hair on the top of the head is a PRIMITIVE characteristic, indicative that the person's genetic lineage is lacking in refinement. Gorillas have tons of hair on their heads. Chimps too, generally, but the few bald chimps seen rule their societies.

2. Alopecia, or "baldness", is actually a sign of superior breeding. Bald people are generally stronger, faster, vastly more intelligent, and better hung than their behaired contemporaries. They also have superior moral values. Unless they are just bald because of chemo, in which case forget what I just wrote.

3. Lots of assholes throughout history had hair. Hitler, Stalin, Mao, you name it.

4. Baldness, as evidenced by Gautama Buddha, is a sign of advanced spiritual development.

Edited by TobusRex

Male pattern baldness kids. It’s a rare thing for a college kid and about one third of their lineup is composed of them. Very interesting. Do they have any incoming recruits to continue this trend? Maybe it’s turning into a place that’s somewhat of a support group for each other?? They could be cornering the market.

Not much of a strategy, unless you wanted your kids to be smarter and better looking than the other teams.

I thought this would be about the Terrible Twosome sending out scouts to find all the graduated/grad school types who could come to Iowa and wrestler their last year.

Think of it, the whole team made up of one year grad student wrestlers. Every year a whole new team!

On the baldness. Guys who go bald in the front are thinkers. Guys who go bald in the back are lovers. Guys who go bald on both places only think they are lovers.

Edited by WillieBoy

Ahhh, to be as classy as you, calling a kid you've never met a douchebag.  Oh, I'm sorry..."potential" douchebag.

Yes, he is showing potential early!   When he claimed the Rutgers wrestler "didn't want to keep wrestling and the ref kept him in it", even though said wrestler bumped up a weight, had been wrestling freestyle and took him to OT, I think he showed fantastic potential to be the next Iowa "douche".  I didn't say he was one, just that he was showing the type of potential that even Gilman could approve of.   You should be proud.  Someone needs to keep the tradition going. 

Yes, he is showing potential early!   When he claimed the Rutgers wrestler "didn't want to keep wrestling and the ref kept him in it", even though said wrestler bumped up a weight, had been wrestling freestyle and took him to OT, I think he showed fantastic potential to be the next Iowa "douche".  I didn't say he was one, just that he was showing the type of potential that even Gilman could approve of.   You should be proud.  Someone needs to keep the tradition going. 

Love that comment :D

"Took him to overtime"?  The "Rutgers wrestler" was recent age level world champion Richie Lewis, and he (Lewis) was the favorite going into the match against freshman Alex Marinelli in his first college match with an injured knee.  And he got at least two extremely long lung breaks and almost exclusively countered the entire match.  Marinelli's assessment was correct.  He didn't do or say anything that was douchey, you just want to see it that way.

"Took him to overtime"? The "Rutgers wrestler" was recent age level world champion Richie Lewis, and he (Lewis) was the favorite going into the match against freshman Alex Marinelli in his first college match with an injured knee. And he got at least two extremely long lung breaks and almost exclusively countered the entire match. Marinelli's assessment was correct. He didn't do or say anything that was douchey, you just want to see it that way.

To be honest, I'd never heard of Richie Lewis until that match. I wouldn't have called him a favorite, but perhaps he was based on his freestyle wrestling.

I think you are giving up on Marinelli way too early Vak. He seems to have what it takes to carry on the Ramos/Gilman legacy. He may disappoint and turn out to be a humble and respectful Hawkeye, but I sense that I am correct. If wrong, I'm happy to eat my words on this site.

I agree that marinelli didn't do anything particularly douchey in that match. Things got a little chippy once or twice but Lewis reciprocated and it was nothing to the level of say Thomas Gilman. We had a good thing going talking about alex's 50 year old hairline. Let's not convolute an otherwise civil discussion about early onset male baldness guys..

No evidence at all that anyone on that roster is gonna carry the Gilman/Ramos/Evans torch. In order to do that you have to be arrogant, humorless (this is a big one), boring, and get consistently beat by someone who is completely mild mannered.   

I don't think boring is fair.  Neither Gilman nor Ramos were ever boring, were they?

Not their wrestling, I just mean listening to them talk. They never really had anything to say. Askren was obnoxious and entertaining, Brands' brothers aren't super articulate but they get across intricate thoughts if you are paying attention. Gilman and Ramos are inarticulate and don't really have anything to say. 

Their wrestling was fine though.

Edited by hammerlockthree

Ahhh, ok.  I enjoyed their talk, but reasonable minds can disagree on that subject.

I'm more of a fan of the sport than anything, but behind Cornell Iowa is basically my team, so that said, I bring up this legacy because I think it is a real problem for Iowa. They are obviously trying to revamp their image, this aspect of it needs to go away.