Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Nick Suriano and Spencer Lee

Apparently, Nick Suriano and Spencer Lee could meet at the Midlands. I know they split matches  as young high schoolers/middle schoolers. But where was Suriano when Lee was winning all those world titles? Does Suriano not wrestle freestyle? 

I'll have my popcorn ready for that one. I don't think there is anyone I'd favor outright over Lee right now collegiately. I said when he was a sophomore in HS that I honestly thought he'd go undefeated in college and I still stand by that so long as he's healthy. 

I'll have my popcorn ready for that one. I don't think there is anyone I'd favor outright over Lee right now collegiately. I said when he was a sophomore in HS that I honestly thought he'd go undefeated in college and I still stand by that so long as he's healthy. 

I'm sure you will be.  You've been very vocal on how good Lee is going to be!  Time will tell.

Lee takes it.

Nick may have trouble escaping if he picks down. Nick has had some trouble on bottom and Lee is incredible on top.

Can’t wait. Hope it happens.

Btw, I picked Suriano to win the title assuming Lee is still in redshirt, so this isn’t a knock on him at all. Lee is just that good in my mind

Lee takes it.

Nick may have trouble escaping if he picks down. Nick has had some trouble on bottom and Lee is incredible on top.

Can’t wait. Hope it happens.

Btw, I picked Suriano to win the title assuming Lee is still in redshirt, so this isn’t a knock on him at all. Lee is just that good in my mind

Nick had trouble with Lizak and who else?

Nick had trouble with Lizak and who else?

Its not that he is bad on bottom, but if you were to say what his weakest position is, it is bottom. He sometimes gets ridden for a little longer than I expect against guys who are inferior to him, or at least he did last year. 

Lee may be the best rider in college. He hasn't proven that yet, but it is possible, given his background. If that is the case, then Suriano could very well be in trouble there.

Apparently, Nick Suriano and Spencer Lee could meet at the Midlands. I know they split matches  as young high schoolers/middle schoolers. But where was Suriano when Lee was winning all those world titles? Does Suriano not wrestle freestyle? 

Is it confirmed that Lee is wrestling Midlands?

Too early in Lee's career to beat Suriano. Another year in the room and I would pick Lee. Suriano won't take down, so unless Lee gets a TD...mat wrestling may be moot. This may be 2-1 or 3-2 match

Suriano will choose down if he hasn't scored a takedown yet. He isn't offensive enough against top ranked guys to give 1-0 lead

I would be shocked if he does that. If Lee rides him out/turns him, he may choose neutral next match, but I don't think it makes sense in this case.

I'd be shocked if Lee beats Suriano at Midlands just because of the time he had to take off and the fact he's only had three college matches. If Lee does win then I'd put him as a favorite -- barring injury -- to be a 4x NCAA champion. A few points:

** Lee may be the best rider in college-- even with the caveat i think it's impossible to predict this at this point. I mean, who has Lee wrestled in folkstyle that gives us any confidence he can turn any of the top five guys? I get that if anyone has the potential, it certainly seems to be Lee, but simply Lee hasn't wrestled the caliber of people to give us any real gauge of how effective his turns will be against top caliber wrestlers. PS I hope everyone is right. I'd love to see someone just tear through the competition year after year. 

** Below is Lee's match with Austin DeSanto in last year's state finals. Granted Lee hadn't trained much at all for at least a month, but note that when Lee was on top of DeSanto he didn't turn him. He also didn't get a whole lot of opportunity to try to turn him because the match wasn't the typical Lee takedown fest. So I think that what we could see against top Caliber opponents is (1) Lee is on top less, (2) Lee is more tired so that (3) Lee doesn't get the same kind of advantage. Of course DeSanto is one match when Lee was not fully conditioned, but at the very least I would say it makes me cautious that Lee is going to be getting anywhere close to turning Nick Suriano at Midlands.

I think Suriano's size/physical maturity advantages will be hard to overcome for Lee with just the UNI  Open under his belt at this point.  JMHO

While I agree that he only has the UNI open under his belt in collegiate competition, you have to remember who he is rolling around in the room with.  I can assure you that his partner is not perez, stickley or glynn.  more like clark, gilman, terry, etc.

Spencer wins in rideouts

would love to see a barn burner like kemdawg vs berger last year. 

Suriano will choose down if he hasn't scored a takedown yet. He isn't offensive enough against top ranked guys to give 1-0 lead

I would be shocked if he does that. If Lee rides him out/turns him, he may choose neutral next match, but I don't think it makes sense in this case.

i think suriano picks down regardless of the status of the match, unless he gets taken down in the first and ridden out.  even then i could see him taking down to prove he can get out from spencer.