Sign in to follow this  
scribe

What is Kyle Snyder’s cumulative record? Collegiate and otherwise?

This is purely hypothetical, but maybe a fun discussion with things a little slower with it being the Christmas break. Had Snyder gone undefeated his FR year. How would his career be viewed considering he never wrestled a full season after first year? Granted it would still be an undefeated career but only half the competition Cael faced. 

One of the biggest thing with Cael's undefeated record that makes it so impressive has to do with consistency. Not only did Cael go undefeated, I don't think he missed any matches or competitions during those 4 years. He never had an off day or if he had any injuries, we never heard about them and he worked/competed through them.

If Snyder had an undefeated true freshman year the comparisons would absolutely be there, but some people would bring up the FACT that he wrestled only a part time schedule allowing him to not have to deal with off days or injuries. His international competition speaks volumes, but the fact of the matter is there are some people that dont really follow or care about that as much as the NCAA scene.

When it comes to the Cael vs Snyder debate is really comes down to Volume(Cael) vs Quality(Snyder)

Neither side is 100% right.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Haven't seen it anywhere...

High School: 179 - 0

College: 60 - 4

World Championships & Olympics: 13 - 0

Junior Worlds: 8 - 1

Other International Competition: 50 - 6 ?

So in total, 310 - 11.  Something like that.  

You include HS... does the "other international competition" include events like Fargo, where Snyder lost to Cox?

Edited by lu_alum

Sorry again for being lame. Snyder lost to gadson and who else collegiately? Muchosis gravitas in advance

Gadson x2 (NCAA, LBF & Vegas SF, 3-2)

McIntosh (B1G final, 4-1)

Burak (dual, 2-1)

I remember Snyder taking an INJ TIME in the dual v Iowa, which gave Burak the oppty to score two escapes.  Ended up costing tOSU the dual.

Edited by lu_alum

I already view snyder's collegiate career to be better than cael's myself..

That is just ridiculous to say Snyders collegiate career is already better... Snyder cannot pass Cael's college accolades, in case you forgot Cael was an undefeated 4x champion. Snyder has a few losses and at best will win 3 titles. If you want to say his international resume is better than I would agree. So your either an OSU homer or a Cael hater, which one is it?

This is purely hypothetical, but maybe a fun discussion with things a little slower with it being the Christmas break. Had Snyder gone undefeated his FR year. How would his career be viewed considering he never wrestled a full season after first year? Granted it would still be an undefeated career but only half the competition Cael faced. 

Same way most people currently view it.  As the best career ever for an american up to this point.  

I already view snyder's collegiate career to be better than cael's myself..

There is no question who the better wrestler is in my mind.  However, Cael can make a statistical argument that he was better given his undefeated record.  Personally, I don't find that argument very convincing.  
Edited by Billyhoyle

Same way most people currently view it. As the best career ever for an american up to this point.

There is no question who the better wrestler is in my mind. However, Cael can make a statistical argument that he was better given his undefeated record. Personally, I don't find that argument very convincing.

Not quite ready to give Snyder the nod over Smith. Smith also has a win over Belaglasov to butress the case of wrestling an all time best, and Smith in 91 was magical. Snyder will probably get there but still has a little ways to go. Edited by sgallan

Hard to get better in a career sense then Sanderson but it is fair to make the argument that he is the best wrestler to step on the mat as a collegiate wrestler.

Yojo Uetake of Oklahoma State is my vote for that one. As Myron Roderick stated: "I never saw him challenged".

Edited by WillieBoy

Same way most people currently view it. As the best career ever for an american up to this point.

There is no question who the better wrestler is in my mind. However, Cael can make a statistical argument that he was better given his undefeated record. Personally, I don't find that argument very convincing.

That's two different arguments.

1. Who's the better wrestler. This is a qualitative argument and opinion based.

2. Who had the better career. This is a quantitative argument and fact/numerically based.

1. If we're talking whos the better wrestler, IMO the nodd goes to Snyder as he's done more on the higher stage.

2. If we're talking NCAA career, the only way to top Cael's career is to go undefeated without a red shirt.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Not quite ready to give Snyder the nod over Smith. Smith also has a win over Belaglasov to butress the case of wrestling an all time best, and Smith in 91 was magical. Snyder will probably get there but still has a little ways to go.

By "up to this point" I meant up to his career age/NCAA eligibility wise.  I'm 100% on board that overall career wise, Snyder has not yet passed a number of people.  

That's two different arguments.

1. Who's the better wrestler. This is a qualitative argument and opinion based.

2. Who had the better career. This is a quantitative argument and fact/numerically based.

1. If we're talking whos the better wrestler, IMO the nodd goes to Snyder as he's done more on the higher stage.

2. If we're talking NCAA career, the only way to top Cael's career is to go undefeated without a red shirt.

How does the non redshirt make the career better?   

Not quite ready to give Snyder the nod over Smith. Smith also has a win over Belaglasov to butress the case of wrestling an all time best, and Smith in 91 was magical. Snyder will probably get there but still has a little ways to go.

Snyder isn’t the best American wrestler ever yet, but he may pass Smith, Burroughs and Baumgautner as some point.

I use golds and medal counts to determine this. Has to be the most even playing field.

Snyder is however the most accomplished wrestler by his age by a long shot in Us history, or you could say the best American wrestler to compete in college wrestling.