Sign in to follow this  
Frank_Rizzo

"We are!"

IU forfeited 165, so no Cenzo. He did make weight. Also of note (since someone accused Keener or Sanderson of dodging DeSanto at Keystone) Cory Keener's hand was heavily wrapped so I guess he actually was injured. He won by major and looked pretty good. 

Cortez beat 12th ranked Cole Weaver. Everyone else won by bonus. 

Edited by TBar1977

A confrence opponent came to town with the intent of whooping them. IU’s plan failed.

The intent of whooping them. Let’s reign back the exaggerations. Not backing down. Probably. Putting up a fight. Sure. Trying to pull off the upset. Maybe. Intent to whop them. Doubt that was in anyone’s wheelhouse.

But a really good reason to start the “We are” chant. Not so much. Probably could save it for later but maybe practicing for their home win over a top 5 Big 10 team like Minn, Iowa, or OSU.

Edited by MadMardigain

The intent of whooping them. Let’s reign back the exaggerations. Not backing down. Probably. Putting up a fight. Sure. Trying to pull off the upset. Maybe. Intent to whop them. Doubt that was in anyone’s wheelhouse.

But a really good reason to start the “We are” chant. Not so much. Probably could save it for later but maybe practicing for their home win over a top 5 Big 10 team like Minn, Iowa, or OSU.

If they only intend on putting up a fight or not back down, why even give it a go?

Let them do their dumb chant. At least they're attending the event, which is good for the sport.  Keep in mind most of these people weren't wrestling fans until PSU started winning, so they need things like chants to keep them occupied during the meet.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Let them do their dumb chant. At least they're attending the event, which is good for the sport.  Keep in mind most of these people weren't wrestling fans until PSU started winning, so they need things like chants to keep them occupied during the meet.  

Let's get one thing straight, wrestling was invented in 2010. Don't even try to convince me otherwise. 

Billy,

I lived in Lancaster for three years and frequently covered duals in State College when I was with the NWCA. Was every match a sellout at Rec Hall between 2005-2008? No, but it’s not like they went from empty stands to selling the place out. They didn’t often drop below 3K and I covered a couple of duals that were sellouts during the Sunderland era.

BWI and FOS messageboards have been active on PSU wrestling long before Cael showed up. The whole “most of these people weren’t fans” schtick is tiresome, even for those who aren’t fans of any specific team.

Indiana wrestlers looked defeated even before the match. Was very disappointed in Indiana. Their kids looked like quitters.

I'm guessing it was 125.. sounds like the perfect time to start the chant to me. Not often you get to spank your opponent that bad in a b1g dual. I wonder who wins between Indiana and Maryland this year..

BOY's boys,  this has been Indiana's modus operando (sp) for 8 years. Have you not been looking at who is always at the bottom of the BIG every year! Why so surprised, at the Indiana effort? Same effort, different year. Weak recruits, weak results. That's the facts. And will continue until the coaches are dismissed. Perry, Maryland does look like the bottom feeder this year, But you can NEVER count The Hoosiers out to be on bottom!

BOY's boys,  this has been Indiana's modus operando (sp) for 8 years. Have you not been looking at who is always at the bottom of the BIG every year! Why so surprised, at the Indiana effort? Same effort, different year. Weak recruits, weak results. That's the facts. And will continue until the coaches are dismissed. Perry, Maryland does look like the bottom feeder this year, But you can NEVER count The Hoosiers out to be on bottom!

I always thought MSU was the bottom of the B1G.  Have they turned the corner, or is Indiana THAT BAD?

Billy,

I lived in Lancaster for three years and frequently covered duals in State College when I was with the NWCA. Was every match a sellout at Rec Hall between 2005-2008? No, but it’s not like they went from empty stands to selling the place out. They didn’t often drop below 3K and I covered a couple of duals that were sellouts during the Sunderland era.

BWI and FOS messageboards have been active on PSU wrestling long before Cael showed up. The whole “most of these people weren’t fans” schtick is tiresome, even for those who aren’t fans of any specific team.

Were folks watching Iowa in the early seventies....nope. Win and they shall come. JB is right. Some of you folks should research where the WE ARE PENN STATE chant came from...very impressive.

IU forfeited 165, so no Cenzo. He did make weight. Also of note (since someone accused Keener or Sanderson of dodging DeSanto at Keystone) Cory Keener's hand was heavily wrapped so I guess he actually was injured. He won by major and looked pretty good. 

Cortez beat 12th ranked Cole Weaver. Everyone else won by bonus. 

Whoever has Cole Weaver 12th should never do rankings again.  I mean I hate complaining about rankings, but that is inexcusable.  

Billy,

Yes, they had a relatively large fan base before, but not close to what it is now. I think it's  a good thing that there are so many new wrestling fans. The fact that Iowa has been able to maintain their stellar attendance despite recent woes makes me think the same will be true for PSU after they come back down to reality. 

I was simply making the point that much like doing "the wave" at a baseball game, the "We Are" and "O-H-I-O" type chants are great to keep many of these new fans interested.  They shouldn't be taken as a sign of disrespect. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

Yes, they had a relatively large fan base before, but not close to what it is now. I think it's  a good thing that there are so many new wrestling fans. The fact that Iowa has been able to maintain their stellar attendance despite recent woes makes me think the same will be true for PSU after they come back down to reality. 

I was simply making the point that much like doing "the wave" at a baseball game, the "We Are" and "O-H-I-O" type chants are great to keep many of these new fans interested.  They shouldn't be taken as a sign of disrespect. 

Does your state draw more fans on the high school level than PA does? Just curious?