Sign in to follow this  
Frank_Rizzo

"We are!"

Does your state draw more fans on the high school level than PA does? Just curious? 

I don't follow high school, middle school, or pee wee wrestling other than watching junior/cadet worlds.  Also I think I saw a stevo highlight or two.  So I don't know? 

Edited by Billyhoyle

I don't follow high school, middle school, or pee wee wrestling other than watching junior/cadet worlds. Also I think I saw a stevo highlight or two. So I don't know?

Honest answer. The point I am making is that wrestling has been a well developed sport here in PA since forever. Take Jason Bryant's cue and just accept this is true. Or believe otherwise for silly reasons. Your choice.

I'm guessing it was 125.. sounds like the perfect time to start the chant to me. Not often you get to spank your opponent that bad in a b1g dual. I wonder who wins between Indiana and Maryland this year..

Nobody!

They don't wrestle this year.

Edited by SetonHallPirate

Honest answer. The point I am making is that wrestling has been a well developed sport here in PA since forever. Take Jason Bryant's cue and just accept this is true. Or believe otherwise for silly reasons. Your choice.

Right, I don't doubt that people enjoy watching their kids wrestle in HS.  I was talking about fans of NCAA wrestling and the improved attendance numbers the PSU fanbase has recently put up, which I think is great for the sport and a model for other universities.  See the link below:

http://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org/history/index.php?view=attendance

It's not an insult to say that Cael's success has brought many new fans of NCAA wrestling into the fold...It's something I hope to see replicated elsewhere, just like I hope these new fans will stick around when the NCAA titles aren't as common. 

Yes fans should definitely be banned from cheering ("go team", "we are", "yay" and all the rest of those offensive noises - applause, etc.) if their team is winning by too many points. Good thinking. Maybe 7 points would be the correct amount for polite silence to kick in as it is unlikely for the trailing team to catch up in the next bout - unless they start awarding team penalty points for offensive enthusiasm, which is another great idea to help the sport. Wow - some real classy high level thoughts expressed in this thread! Proud to have contributed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by swoopdown

Right, I don't doubt that people enjoy watching their kids wrestle in HS. I was talking about fans of NCAA wrestling and the improved attendance numbers the PSU fanbase has recently put up, which I think is great for the sport and a model for other universities. See the link below:

http://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org/history/index.php?view=attendance

It's not an insult to say that Cael's success has brought many new fans of NCAA wrestling into the fold...It's something I hope to see replicated elsewhere, just like I hope these new fans will stick around when the NCAA titles aren't as common.

The contention I am making is that Cael has given long time existing fans new energy, and these long time fans are showing up to support the program. Of course there are also some brand new fans as well.

What is not the case is that all new attendees at wrestling matches in Rec Hall are new to the sport or bekieve wrestling was just invented. That is a canard.

The chant is "We Are .........Penn State", which IS a complete sentence when you don't omit the second half of it. So your wish has been granted.

Actually “We are” is already a complete sentence without the addition of the predicate nominative “Penn State.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me get this straight. In an era that some think wrestling is dying and a time that most attendees at college wrestling duals are family and friends, it’s a bad thing that Sanderson and company have brought in new fans into Rec Hall.

Sounds like PSU Envy to me.

Let me get this straight. In an era that some think wrestling is dying and a time that most attendees at college wrestling duals are family and friends, it’s a bad thing that Sanderson and company have brought in new fans into Rec Hall.

Sounds like PSU Envy to me.

If Sanderson was their head coach he would be a Saint. Since he's not hes the devil. Its pretty much the theme here.

Typical. A single trolling post by a lone gunman results in 10 pages touting PSU and Cael.

Thats what happens when a team has a large fan base. Or do you think there should be a single designated representative for the entire PSU fanbase allowed to respond?

Yea its typical for multiple people  that share the same opinion to respond to this hence why things go viral and message boards and twitter and all social media is such a success, not just for PSU fans, for people in general in all walks of life. You're just using this as another opportunity to crap on PSU.

If a post was made knocking on the Minnesota fan base you dont think mupltiple Minn fans wouldnt respond to it? Would that not also be "typical?"

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Thats what happens when a team has a large fan base. Or do you think there should be a single designated representative for the entire PSU fanbase allowed to respond?

Yea its typical for multiple people  that share the same opinion to respond to this hence why things go viral and message boards and twitter and all social media is such a success, not just for PSU fans, for people in general in all walks of life. You're just using this as another opportunity to crap on PSU.

If a post was made knocking on the Minnesota fan base you dont think mupltiple Minn fans wouldnt respond to it? Would that not also be "typical?"

You don't get it. In headshuck's world he and others should be allowed to freely crap all over Penn State without interference from us heathens. 

Afterall, what good is a wrestling program that shows up to win every dual, where its wrestlers are virtually almost always on the mat, that shows up to win tournaments, that sells out their home venue and helps other schools set attendance records at theirs. Oh, and they are really good too. Who needs such a terrible program like that? 

You don't get it. In headshuck's world he and others should be allowed to freely crap all over Penn State without interference from us heathens. 

Afterall, what good is a wrestling program that shows up to win every dual, where its wrestlers are virtually almost always on the mat, that shows up to win tournaments, that sells out their home venue and helps other schools set attendance records at theirs. Oh, and they are really good too. Who needs such a terrible program like that? 

Its no good when that's the opposition. That's all. If you're going to crap on another team, make sure its things that would piss you off if your own team did the same.

Just dreaming of a day when there's a thread that doesn't morph into one about PSU.  99% of the posters that used to contribute here appear to have moved on to Twitter or somewhere else. 

I agree, THIS thread you all need to defend PSU.

Typical defensive response.

Nice deflection. So you're saying if the fans at Minnesota started chanting when they were winning a dual by a large margin you would be against it?

Or are you going to go the "holier than thou" route and say Minnesota fans would never start chanting and cheering when they're winning by a large margin, which we all know is BS.

Yea and 99% of the posters moved to Twitter because its become a larger and easier platform to post on. Thats pretty much par for the course for ANY message board.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Just dreaming of a day when there's a thread that doesn't morph into one about PSU.  99% of the posters that used to contribute here appear to have moved on to Twitter or somewhere else. 

I agree, THIS thread you all need to defend PSU.

Firstly, they don't all morph into PSU. You are being sensitive there. Second, like you wrote, this thread started out as an unprovoked shot at PSU just because their fans cheer. Even you know that is ridiculous.