• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mattchristensen112

mattchristensen112

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:53 AM

Anyone, have they started selling tickets to Senior Nationals 2018 held in Las Vegas?

#2 Alwayswrestling

Alwayswrestling

Gold Member

• Members
  • 9,908 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:05 PM

They will be easy to get so no real need to worry about it being sold out.

#3 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:32 PM

They get 3 or 4 thousand tops for the  finals and the place is about 25% capacity.   Just walk up and buy them when you arrive to the event.    

#4 rpm002

rpm002

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:11 PM

I don't know about tickets, but USA Wrestling did recently post the qualification procedures.

http://content.thema...18-MFS-WTT.pdf 

#5 rpm002

rpm002

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:24 PM

So to summarize:

There 3 main events:  US Open (Vegas in April), WTT Challenge (MN in May), and Final X (3 Saturdays in June, locations TBD)

The first 2 are pretty much what they've always been.  The top 7 from the US Open (plus NCAA Champs and some others) get into the Challenge tournament but what's different is that the challenge tournament is not the end. 

World Medalists (Gilman, Green, Burroughs, Snyder, Cox, Gwiz) can skip the first 2 steps and go straight to the Final X, which is a best of 3 tournament on 3 different dates, presumably in 3 different cities.

For the weights that don't have a world medalist, the top 2 from the Challenge Tournament make the Final X (will wrestle for true 2nd, if needed) and the US Open winner gets a bye to the finals.  

Not sure how the weigh-ins 3 consecutive weeks will go, but other than that, I like this setup. It is a step in the direction of the PROWL rumors, but not all the way there, and that is a smart first step IMO.

Edited by rpm002, 20 December 2017 - 01:27 PM.

#6 nom

nom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 03:36 PM

Huh? Best of three tournament? How many in bracket for that final stage? If 2, not a tournament.

Not crazy about this. I want to go to and watch a full WTT. I’m not going to go someplace to watch one match out of 3.

#7 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

Well I agree the Final X tournament might not have the same number of matches that a regular WTT would have, but perhaps they can combine Juniors, Seniors and all three styles, to give the ticket buyer their money's worth.
But by using this format, I believe this may help relieve some of the disparity of a wrestler having to wrestle his or her way through the challenge tournament only to face off with a fresh wrestler in the best of three finals.

#8 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:48 PM

Wow, it will be in Las Vegas again? thats cool 

The opinions and views expressed in my posts, are intended to promote Russian international styles wrestling and international wrestling in general. Please excuse misspellings, misunderstandings, or misinterpretations. I am doing my very best to communicate in English, but it is a work in progress. I speak several languages, but I am still learning context, culture, and local tradition. I love USA and I am doing my best to be a great ambassador. Thank you for understanding.

#9 rpm002

rpm002

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:50 AM

Forgot to mention above, the challenge tournament final is also best of 3 (but all the same day).

Thinking about this here's what's weird.... at non-Olympic medalist weights, Wrestler A could beat Wrestler B 3 times.... once at the US Open and twice in the Challenge Tournament finals.  But if B wins true 2nd, Wrestler B would be on equal footing as Wrestler A going forward.  If B comes back and wins 2 of 3 in the Final X, he gets the spot.  So you could have a situation where 2 guys wrestle 6 times in the span of a couple months, one guy wins 4 of them, but the guy who only won 2 is the World Team rep.

Not sure how likely that is, but does suggest that scouting the top guys at your weight is more important than ever because there is the potential to see them many times, with the last meetings being by far the most important.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users