Sign in to follow this  
The_Education

Could PSU wrestling become more popular?

With the football team facing years of mediocrity, could PSU wrestling become a more popular spectator sport?

It's probably unlikely to become significantly more popular. But, if they continue to have championship-caliber teams, promote the team effectively, and focus on the spectator experience, they could pick up more fans and bring in more revenue.

They could look to Iowa as an example, or even add new elements like having matches under a spotlight, playing music between matches, etc.

I know this is wishful thinking, but it's a thought. But I don't think it's out of the question. With two national championships in a row -- and with prospects for tough teams in the future -- they could be one of the centerpieces of PSU athletics for the next eight years or so. I would love to see Cael, Taylor, and Ruth being campus celebrities.

I think so ..... It was something I eluded to in the other monster thread. I think Cael is not only a good coach, he is also a great ambassador of our sport.

Not everyone likes wrestling, yet it is PSU, and in the heartland of wrestling. People know what it is. And if they stay on a roll .... They could get a few more National Championships in the near future.

Fans love winners.

Plus, Cael is a likable guy, and approachable. His tweets are kinda weird .... Never have liked Twitter myself. And his staff is also solid.

From what I understand they are funded, and don't need the Football $$ to survive.

They could become a "lightning rod" of sorts for the student body, and the local community.

I am going to go ahead and play thread police.

Could this get merged with the other thread? There is nothing inherently important about this one that couldn't have or isn't being said in the other one.

Scribe .... you need to chill. Your control issues are astounding.

This is simply a thread separate from the monster thread about the Football sanctions.

If you don't like it, don't open it up for Pete's Sake!

I totally agree! It's a good thing I am not a mod. You guys would be wanting to kill me by now (moreso). icon_e_biggrin.gif

Just the same. Remember on the old board, pre-Jason, when the same 4 guys would keep breaking their thoughts into new threads during ongoing thread du jours?

I was talking to a friend about this prior to the sanctions.

I really think so. You are going to have a University in the heart of wrestling country whose beloved football program is in the crapper. The program has skyrocketed in popularity the last few years. The decline in popularity is going to leave a gap for entertainment for fans. The Program is hot, and is filled with very like-able guys. I'm not sure what the financial ramifications will be to the program due to loss football revenue, but if Cael can keep the program top 3 these next 5-8 years he is going to be the center of attention for the AD.

Oddly enough. If ISU can get someone in there that can bring the program up to par, this whole situation has been great for wrestling. A new dynasty/ fan base in Pennyslvania. Cornell has an emerging fan base. Iowa's fan base is back.

The PSU sports fans are in need of something to believe in and get behind for the near future. I'm assuming a portion of those fans would be inclined to consider wrestling. It will come down to how the wrestling program works to sell their product to the student body over the next few seasons.

I totally agree! It's a good thing I am not a mod. You guys would be wanting to kill me by now (moreso). :D

Just the same. Remember on the old board, pre-Jason, when the same 4 guys would keep breaking their thoughts into new threads during ongoing thread du jours?

YES !!!!! ;) How long have you been on this thing?? For me, I think over 10-12+years or so .... They erased our "birthdays" .... Sometimes I just have to "step away from the forum" ... My friends tell me I'm a nice guy ... yet my sarcastic tendencies do bleed through in a forum setting.

And yes .... This PSU cover-up is just sickening. Words can't really describe it. I'm a father of an 18yo boy who is going off to college this fall. And he will be on the soccer team, and don't think for one moment that i haven't thought about his safety, and the victims at PSU.

I just hope Cael and his team can rise above it all, and get another National Title this year. That would be a good dose of medicine for the School, the Students, and the athletic department.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the kids that were abused and their families, and at another level, the kids and athletes that are impacted by this at the school. It's amazing how many people can be effected by the actions of a few!!!

What other National Champion teams do they have?

I had the exact same thought about the potential this could mean for their non-revenue sports. The women's volleyball team is a perennial national title contender and has won several titles. They have a championship wrestling team. These teams could truly benefit if they play their cards right. IE. Let's keep the wrestlers out of the news for the wrong reasons!!

PSU has over 500,000 living alumni & and I suspect that a pretty fair amount of them feel the NCAA over-reached on this one (as do I). I think the school will rally around the PSU brand & totally support these winners in other lower profile sports. It may not mean 15,000 fans per match, but the profile of the team could be elevated... which will only help. Kids like David Taylor represent the sport so well, that it can only help them in both the short & long run...in my (mostly humble) opinion.

What other National Champion teams do they have?

I had the exact same thought about the potential this could mean for their non-revenue sports. The women's volleyball team is a perennial national title contender and has won several titles. They have a championship wrestling team. These teams could truly benefit if they play their cards right. IE. Let's keep the wrestlers out of the news for the wrong reasons!!

PSU has over 500,000 living alumni & and I suspect that a pretty fair amount of them feel the NCAA over-reached on this one (as do I). I think the school will rally around the PSU brand & totally support these winners in other lower profile sports. It may not mean 15,000 fans per match, but the profile of the team could be elevated... which will only help. Kids like David Taylor represent the sport so well, that it can only help them in both the short & long run...in my (mostly humble) opinion.

UW Huskies introduced me to NCAA Women's Volleyball a few years back. If someone want's to see some badazz VB .... Watch the Gals go at it. Brutal!! (and cute)

I think this Football void at PSU will open the door for the Wrestling team to really step up and become a larger draw then they have been.

Actually, I think it will work in reverse. I think the majority of Penn State students will become more apathetic about all sports in general, now that the football program will be crippled for the next 4+ years and Paterno is gone. They'll still be excited about their studies because PSU is a great school, but they'll have a more balanced attitude about sports, which I gather is what the NCAA sanctions intended to do.

Of course, you PSU wrestling nuts who hang out on boards like this one will still be fan(atics), just like the rest of us are for our teams. And they may fill Rec Hall more consistently, like last year. And you will be favored to win another National Championship again this year.

Actually, I think it will work in reverse. I think the majority of Penn State students will become more apathetic about all sports in general, now that the football program will be crippled for the next 4+ years and Paterno is gone. They'll still be excited about their studies because PSU is a great school, but they'll have a more balanced attitude about sports, which I gather is what the NCAA sanctions intended to do.

Of course, you PSU wrestling nuts who hang out on boards like this one will still be fan(atics), just like the rest of us are for our teams. And they may fill Rec Hall more consistently, like last year. And you will be favored to win another National Championship again this year.

I'm going to offer a flawed but reasonable comparison. At the same time that Art Modell moved the Browns out of Cleveland, the Indians became a powerhouse for the first time since the 1950's. The result for the Indians was 455 consecutive sell outs. The reason was that Cleveland sports fans finally had a winner to cheer for and no Browns to monopolize the media attention.

PSU wrestling is certainly in a position to capitalize on the hunger PSU fans will have to feel good about something associated with the school. If the local media pays more attention to the wrestling program and its attendant stars, it could be very good for PSU wrestling in particular and wrestling in general.

I'm going to offer a flawed but reasonable comparison. At the same time that Art Modell moved the Browns out of Cleveland, the Indians became a powerhouse for the first time since the 1950's. The result for the Indians was 455 consecutive sell outs. The reason was that Cleveland sports fans finally had a winner to cheer for and no Browns to monopolize the media attention.

PSU wrestling is certainly in a position to capitalize on the hunger PSU fans will have to feel good about something associated with the school. If the local media pays more attention to the wrestling program and its attendant stars, it could be very good for PSU wrestling in particular and wrestling in general.

Yeah, but that's pro football and pro baseball in Cleveland, not rural Pennsylvania.

PSU wrestling IS in the position to capitalize, but it's only one of many great teams at Penn State. It's almost as likely that the volleyball team or the field hockey team should capture Penn State fans hungry to feel good about something.

Arguably, Pennsylvania has the most wrestling talent in the country, and the PSU wrestling team is coming off of back-to-back National championships, and yet Rec hall seats, what, 5,000 people? The football stadium seats 100,000+ and it was always filled, wasn't it? That's a big difference.

When will the awesome wrestling team begin to outdraw the dismal basketball team at Penn State? Maybe wrestling should move into the bigger venue and have the b-ball team move into Rec Hall.

I'm not sure how much more popular PSU can get in wrestling. With football going to the mediocre level for aqt least 4-6 years, they will definitely rally behind wrestling. With the Altons, Taylor, Megaludis, Wright, and now, perhaps Lawson (still a question mark after laying out), they have only a couple of open weights.

As a side note, the penalties were a stretch as this was a criminal act and I am not sure the NCAA should have any impact on the final decision. The only correlation could be made for between the school and the NCAA woulod be the coverup of information which would mean a lack of institutional control. I am not a Penn State fan (I am an Oklahoma State fan) but I felt the penalties were too strong. The civil law suits that will surface now will also serve as a finacila penalty (that will also be millions).

Get a video/commercial made to show on the "jumbo tron" at the PSU games showing Penn State Wrestling highlights and the trophies. Do that for the first game when they have a packed house at least, and keep doing it. You are bound to maybe catch eyes that didn't know anything about the wrestling program.

Penn State football was only a perennial power in Happy Valley and mostly in the eyes of PSU grads. You would think with 400+ wins they would have far more National titles...

i disagree bob. of course im a diehard PSU football fan.

but PSU very well could have had far more than the 3 titles they do.

they had something like 3 or 4 undefeated (and untied) teams that didn't even get a share of a title.

and though there are a milion scenarios like the recent years psu was on the verge of entering bowl season undefeated like...the year penn state (with LaVar Arrington) lost in the last minute to someone (MSU, maybe), the year the refs completely hosed an undefeated PSU team in the big house, the undefeated team that lost a goofy game with their backup qb at Kinnick, etc, etc.

and all these were in the last decade or so.

point is, they may not have been world beaters, but there were several times when they were on the verge of a title game.

anyway, i know i just went of topic, but, well, ya know, i like penn state

"but PSU very well could have had far more than the 3 titles they do."

husker,

i'm sure Penn St has won 2 national titles -not 3-- strictly from my memory i know 1982 beat Georgia in Sugar bowl and & 1986 beat Miami in Fiesta bowl, 2 great games ive watched on ESPN classic as well as live on TV when they occured in the 80s. ive followed college football very closely for many many years.

1994 was latest Penn st team could have won national title, unbeaten but voted # 2 in polls behind Nebraska. Penn st had unstopable offense and destroyed a decent Oregon team in Rose Bowl, but didnt get chance to win it on the field. i thought Penn St was deserving of # 1 that year, btw.

yes Penn st could have won more titles, but like other perennial powers especially Ohio st, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas come to mind as other powerhouses that can claim that too. Things had to come together just right to finish # 1 in the polls back then.

my alma mater is Ohio St, always luv them, i used to serve Woody Hayes at the lunch counter at a local hash joint when i was in school. BUT like the Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema said, i'm gonna be a Penn st football fan now, those guys did nothing wrong , i'm rooting for them personally. They will play with alot of heart and i like their new coach O'Brien. .....s/BobP

bad enuf they try to wipe out penn st football history-- now they make mockery---- i read players wlll wear blue ribbons on uniforms this year, who came up with that idea? Enuf already. These players are being persecuted & humiliated, they did nothing wrong. This is overkill, a mad search to punish someone, anyone.