34 replies to this topic

#1 gowrestle

gowrestle

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 11:52 PM

Why isn’t West Virginia a top program?

Edited by gowrestle, 25 December 2017 - 11:57 PM.

#2 tigerfan9311

tigerfan9311

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:45 AM

The cupboard was bare.  It took Brian Smith 5-6 years to start winning ways at Mizzou.

#3 southend

southend

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:47 AM

Maybe he is coaching in the wrong place. Could be a plethora of reasons. But the fact is, too many of these coaches produce a product that the fans don't  like or don't  want to see, will hang around too long. After a few years the program doesn't grow, get the hell out and try somewhere else!

#4 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:27 AM

Things were looking really good at first with the success zeke moisey saw right away. A few recruits have left and gone to mizzou and are now starting there (though I don't think any have done too much just yet at Missouri either). DJ Shannon just signed up to go there and they are getting other solid prospects as well. Just takes some time and I doubt west Virginia cares too much about their wrestling program on top of things.
  • stp likes this

#5 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:32 AM

Henson made such a huge spectacle trash talking at John SMith last year when Dylan Cottrell beat Chandler Rogers @ Big 12s.  it was ugly enough to turn me off permanently.

#6 KTG119

KTG119

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:41 AM

some guys are great assistant coaches, but not great head coaches. maybe as simple as that? 

#7 madcat11

madcat11

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:08 AM

Henson made such a huge spectacle trash talking at John SMith last year when Dylan Cottrell beat Chandler Rogers @ Big 12s. it was ugly enough to turn me off permanently.

link?

#8 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:24 AM

link?

I saw it live. I looked on flo, but I don't see a link to the final matches for that tournament.

#9 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:05 PM

Henson made such a huge spectacle trash talking at John SMith last year when Dylan Cottrell beat Chandler Rogers @ Big 12s.  it was ugly enough to turn me off permanently.

Henson has no business talking smack to Smith about wrestling OR coaching.

#10 ionel

ionel

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:30 PM

I saw it live. I looked on flo, but I don't see a link to the final matches for that tournament.

saw it also

#11 cornercoach

cornercoach

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:20 PM

.... that would be like talking to Jesus about loaves and fishes..... don't do it.......

#12 gowrestle

gowrestle

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:11 PM

Met Henson about 15 years ago. No doubt an impressive wrestler. Thought he was very self centered which is a characteristic that doesn’t help a coach/leader. He also acted like he had no use talking to me.

On the other hand, about 25 years ago I took my team to a team camp at TCNJ. John Smith was there and he introduced himself to me. He was engaging and made me feel like Dan Gable in front of my team.

Big difference between Smith & Henson.
  • rshear111, stp and AMastrandrea like this

#13 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,365 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:41 AM

Smith has always been the paragon of class in wrestling, even as a young guy when it was easy for him to be big-headed. That’s why he is my favorite athlete ever in any sport. Many years ago, I went to one of John Smith’s camps which he ran with Myron Roderick. Smith was less than a year away from his second Olympic gold and very actively training, doing camps to make a decent living. After the sessions, to stay sharp, he would drill with TJ Jaworsky, who was a counselor at the camp. Being the little fanboy that I was, I would skip lunch and sit against the wall to watch every one of these practices. Smith wasn’t teaching his patented low single at the time (he only started teaching the finer details of the move and his finishes after he retired from competition). I picked up on a few details and tried them during the live wrestling sessions of the camp, completely botching my attempts at imitation. On the final day, after camp was over and the other kids had left, Smith stopped his practice with Jaworsky and called me to the mat, then showed me what I was doing wrong. I still remember every detail, what he was wearing, how quick he was, what color the mat was and what was hanging on the walls, every word he said to me. The GOAT of American wrestling, while actively training for the Olympics, took 5 minutes off mid-practice to help a completely nobody he’d never see again. I will never forget that.
  • silver-medal, southend, madcat11 and 11 others like this

#14 Bananasplit

Bananasplit
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:25 AM

I read this site often, but don't post much. 

I met Henson at a social event about a year ago and he seemed like a nice guy.  He went out of his way to introduce me to his assistant coaches.     

Also, I wrestled John Smith back in the day - lost a freestyle match to him by a score of 18 - 9.   

#15 repechange

repechange

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:54 AM

How the hell did you manage to hang 9 points on John Smith?

#16 ionel

ionel

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:37 AM

How the hell did you manage to hang 9 points on John Smith?

perhaps he got 1 every time he gave up 2 attempted to roll Smith over with his bananasplit (not the best freestyle move)  ;)

#17 Bananasplit

Bananasplit
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:26 AM

[quote name="repechange" post="323596" timestamp="1514400892"]How the hell did you manage to hang 9 points on John Smith?[/quote

How did I score 9 points? It was a long time ago - 1982 freestyle nationals at the University of Iowa - I scored with a headlock and a couple of crotch lifts. He was lightning quick and scored a lot of takedowns with a high crotch. I believed Smith placed 4th that year. I fell two matches short of the round robins.

#18 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:04 PM

[quote name="repechange" post="323596" timestamp="1514400892"]How the hell did you manage to hang 9 points on John Smith?[/quote

How did I score 9 points? It was a long time ago - 1982 freestyle nationals at the University of Iowa - I scored with a headlock and a couple of crotch lifts. He was lightning quick and scored a lot of takedowns with a high crotch. I believed Smith placed 4th that year. I fell two matches short of the round robins.

Sure you aren't thinking of his older brother? John didn't graduate HS until '83.

#19 Bananasplit

Bananasplit
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:50 PM

Sure you aren't thinking of his older brother? John didn't graduate HS until '83.

No, I wrestled John not Leroy. I graduated HS in 82. The tournament I wrestled John in was the Junior Freestyle Nationals.

Before the match my coach told me to watch out for his shooting and to try to go upper body. After the match coach told me that I lost to a very good wrestler whose brother was an AA at OSU. So, I wrestled John Smith before he was John Smith!

Back in those days we followed wrestling in a monthly publication called Amature Wrestling News so we were much less worldly than today.
  • TheOhioState, silver-medal, TobusRex and 1 other like this

#20 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:45 PM

Cool story, Bananasplit!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users