Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Missouri vs North Carolina

North Carolina has looked the best they have ever looked and Missouri is excellent as expected and fighting for a podium spot.

This is actually a somewhat competitive dual. North Carolina could win if the win every toss up. While this is unlikely, either way there will be a few interesting matches.

125 - Macri vs McGhee

McGhee was 7-6 about 2 years ago. Both are borderline top 20. This is a toss up.

133 - Sherman vs Erneste

I’ve been touting both since preseason. ThIs is 19 vs 10 or so. Sherman is a solid prospect in his true freshman year. Erneste came out of nowhere as Eierman’s backup last year. His top work is excellent, which might not bode well for the true freshman. I think they are about even on the feet. If Sherman can keep it there, he could pull off the upset.

141 - Headlee vs Eierman

Headlee is good, Eierman is amazing. If Headlee can keep it to a decision, that would be impressive.

149 - Heilmann vs Leeth

Leeth has a win over Heilmann from 3 year ago, but I don’t think that plays a factor. I’m going Heilmann but this is another toss up. Leeth’s stingy defense and counters are excellent and tough for anybody not named Zain to deal with.

157 - Monday vs Lavallee

Lavallee has something to prove coming off his first loss of the season. Monday looks dezcellent vs Berger and we all know he has the potential to be great. Was that his coming out party, or was it a bad performance by Berger? There is also no chance Monday wins, but could he keep it competitive? I think Lavallee bonuses him, but it is still an interesting match.

165 - pope va Flynn

Mismatch. Flynn should bonus Pope without a problem.

174 - Ramos vs Lewis

6 vs 4! Ramos is always good for an upset or two, but Lewis has looked incredible and may even break into the top tier at this weight class. I think Lewis will tire Ramos out after a competitive first period and maybe even sneak a turn in there later in the match. This should be a good one.

184 - Ness vs Marriott (or someone else)

Chip Ness has solid wins and should be the favorite, but Marriott tends to be a tough match for guys like Ness (good but not ranked). I think this is a toss up, but if I had to pick, I’d go Ness.

197 - Chaid vs Miklus

Chaid is one of the reasons North Carolina has been winning duals, but Miklus is a possible finalist. Miklus by bonus. Hope he pulls off a crazy pin.

285 - Cory vs Myers

Cory is a weak spot for North Carolina. Myers I think has hit his ceiling but will be a qualifier who gets a win or two at nationals. Another mismatch. There is a small chance the dual comes down to this match. If so, Myers wins 3-1. If not? Myers might get the pin.

Overall:

Competitive matches - 5

Missouri big favorite - 5

If North Carolina wins all of the competitive matches (125, 133, 149, 174, 184) they might be able to pull off the dual win, but that is highly unlikely.

Either way, this will be a fun one to watch

Wrestlestat has it 30-3.

https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/dual/43/missouri/46/north-carolina

To say UNC could win is to say anyone can beat anyone on any given day. Mizzou is a prohibitive favorite.

Yeah. I said that. North Carolina would have to win every mildly close one and not get bonused in the others to have any shot

Wrestlestat has it 30-3.  

https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/dual/43/missouri/46/north-carolina

To say UNC could win is to say anyone can beat anyone on any given day.  Mizzou is a prohibitive favorite.

Let see: Lehigh almost beat Penn St, Drexel tied Lehigh, Illinois should've beat Iowa at CHA, and Wyoming almost/could've/should've beat OSU.

Yeah ... maybe this is the year where anyone can beat anyone.

Let see: Lehigh almost beat Penn St, Drexel tied Lehigh, Illinois should've beat Iowa at CHA, and Wyoming almost/could've/should've beat OSU.

Yeah ... maybe this is the year where anyone can beat anyone.

No such thing as a tie in college wrestling. Lehigh won that dual, 21-20.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No such thing as a tie in college wrestling. Lehigh won that dual, 21-20.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my recollection was that it was a tie for which they had to use the tie breaker criteria (and there have been ties in wrestling in the past, both in individual matches as well as team meet scoring)

North Carolina has looked the best they have ever looked and Missouri is excellent as expected and fighting for a podium spot.

best they have ever looked? I'll give you they are looking better than they did vs Purdue earlier this year. ACC is going to be interesting/tough this year. 

best they have ever looked? I'll give you they are looking better than they did vs Purdue earlier this year. ACC is going to be interesting/tough this year. 

When was the last time North Carolina looked like a real team?  I don't think thats hyperbole.  Definitely putting on a better show under Coleman Scott

When were they better?

been a while, but they had some top 10 team finishes in 80s and 90s (best finish I think was 5th in 1982, which was kind of like being the best of the rest behind the big 4 Iowa, ISU, Ok, and Ok St).

individual national champs in those decades like CD Mock, Rob Koll, and TJ Jaworsky. finalists like Harty, Wyland. 

this UNC ain't there....yet. 

been a while, but they had some top 10 team finishes in 80s and 90s (best finish I think was 5th in 1982, which was kind of like being the best of the rest behind the big 4 Iowa, ISU, Ok, and Ok St).

individual national champs in those decades like CD Mock, Rob Koll, and TJ Jaworsky. finalists like Harty, Wyland.

this UNC ain't there....yet.

Thanks. Much of that happened before I was born