• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jeffr_ideal

jeffr_ideal

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:28 PM

One of Rick Flair's earliest pro wrestling matches. 

Edited by jeffr_ideal, 28 December 2017 - 02:29 PM.

• xander, stp and TheRealOne9050 like this

#2 Peso

Peso

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

Heard he had a pull-up hustle.  He wasn't going to beat Medved, but he was good!

#3 AnklePicker

AnklePicker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:49 AM

Thought they said on the Flair documentary on espn that that was Flair's first ever pro match.

#4 Buckeyebison

Buckeyebison

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 871 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:13 PM

Wow, Chris Taylor make it look very easy. He was with 400 lbs and could move very easily. Extreme rare for 400 Lber to move like that. Only two others with that weight could move well- Tab Thacker and Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson.

I really would have liked to see him alive. Too bad that he and Tab died young. Is there any more Chris Taylor videos- Iowa State, Olympics, etc? I already have seen him getting pinned by German in Greco-Roman, I had to applaud that German. Nobody could do that to 400 lbs Chris Taylor.

It is said that the referee gave the match away to Medved and was suspended by the committee. Wish we could have seen the fair match between Medved and Taylor.

#5 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:30 PM

Second/third periods compressed, I think 

I thought the officiating issue was more with the bout between Medved and Douraliev so that the Bulgarian would finish ahead of Taylor. The score in the video was a pretty good footsweep.

#6 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:43 PM

Wow, Chris Taylor make it look very easy. He was with 400 lbs and could move very easily. Extreme rare for 400 Lber to move like that. Only two others with that weight could move well- Tab Thacker and Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson.

I really would have liked to see him alive. Too bad that he and Tab died young. Is there any more Chris Taylor videos- Iowa State, Olympics, etc? I already have seen him getting pinned by German in Greco-Roman, I had to applaud that German. Nobody could do that to 400 lbs Chris Taylor.

It is said that the referee gave the match away to Medved and was suspended by the committee. Wish we could have seen the fair match between Medved and Taylor.

Figured you needed a little information on "that German".  Dietrich was one of the best in the world for a long time before his match vs Taylor. Interestingly although he pinned Taylor he still didn't place: but Taylor finished 3rd at that Olympics.

Here's a snippet from Wikipedia: "

Wilfried Dietrich (14 October 1933 – 3 June 1992) was a German heavyweight wrestler. Between 1956 and 1972 he took part in five Olympics and six world championships, often entering both the freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling contests – a feat unmatched by any other wrestler. He won five Olympic and five world championship medals, becoming Olympic (1960), world (1961) and European champion (1967). Between 1955 and 1962 he won all his freestyle bouts."  

https://en.wikipedia...lfried_Dietrich

#7 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:49 PM

Gable/Taylor were roomies at the '72 Olympics. Taylor supposedly told Gable "I crap bigger than you". Later he called Gable to the toilet and PROVED It....

(Note: dramatic license has been taken with this posting)

#8 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:55 PM

Figured you needed a little information on "that German". Dietrich was one of the best in the world for a long time before his match vs Taylor. Interestingly although he pinned Taylor he still didn't place: but Taylor finished 3rd at that Olympics.

Here's a snippet from Wikipedia: "
Wilfried Dietrich (14 October 1933 – 3 June 1992) was a German heavyweight wrestler. Between 1956 and 1972 he took part in five Olympics and six world championships, often entering both the freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling contests – a feat unmatched by any other wrestler. He won five Olympic and five world championship medals, becoming Olympic (1960), world (1961) and European champion (1967). Between 1955 and 1962 he won all his freestyle bouts."

https://en.wikipedia...lfried_Dietrich

The throw was in Greco. Taylor won in their freestyle bout and placed in freestyle.

Edited by Billyhoyle, 01 January 2018 - 06:55 PM.

• jchapman and TobusRex like this

#9 stp

stp

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:10 AM

The Professional wrestling referee union must be really weak.  

#10 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,349 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:52 PM

Per contract, Chris Taylor was the highest paid professional wrestler in the world in 1974.  His $100,000 contract with Vern Gagne and the AWA was the highest guaranteed money that a professional wrestler in the United States had ever been guaranteed up to that point. 

Other professional wrestlers were making that sort of money and better, such as Andre The Giant. However, the money he and others made was based on a percentage of the house. You were paid based on the number of keesters in the seats and how many of those keesters the promoter felt were their based on your presence. 

Chris Taylor in many regards was the guy that began the idea of contracts and guaranteed money in professional wrestling. 

Edited by JohnnyThompsonnum1, 10 January 2018 - 05:52 PM.

"Gable said something in the newspapers to the effect that he had to show up on the podium and accept defeat like he accepted winning. Personally, I think that's the mark of a true sportsman. Such antics as having to be called repeatedly to the awards podium, hopping down prematurely, trashing one's medal at the venue, etc., don't show how much a guy hates to lose, etc. Taking a loss like a man, then coming back to compete harder (again like Gable did) does." Hurricanewrestling

#11 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:20 AM

Fitting, since Taylor actually knew how to wrestle :D Too bad he died so young, heard he was a really cool guy.

#12 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,349 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:22 AM

Fitting, since Taylor actually knew how to wrestle :D Too bad he died so young, heard he was a really cool guy.

Per the book, "The Gentle Giant" Chris during all of his life, always made time for kids.  Regardless of where he was, how tired he was, or how it might make him/his team/others late, if a kid wanted to shake his hand/get a picture/get an autograph he always made sure they got to. 

"Gable said something in the newspapers to the effect that he had to show up on the podium and accept defeat like he accepted winning. Personally, I think that's the mark of a true sportsman. Such antics as having to be called repeatedly to the awards podium, hopping down prematurely, trashing one's medal at the venue, etc., don't show how much a guy hates to lose, etc. Taking a loss like a man, then coming back to compete harder (again like Gable did) does." Hurricanewrestling

#13 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:44 AM

From the Lehigh Bio of Mike Danjczek (our HWT in72)

Mike Danjczek Bio: Waiting a long time to crack the lineup, Mike made the most of his move to light hwt, placing 3rd in the EIWA losing only to NCAA runner-up Dave Joyner of Penn St. Amazingly, he had six bouts vs. NCAA finalists, including two of America's greatest hwts, Greg Wojciechowski of Toledo and Chris Taylor, Iowa St. 

His post-meet interview in Ames,IA, after getting decked by Taylor was pure 'Danzo.' Asked how it felt to face the 450 pounder, Mike dead-panned: "He caught me." Waiting just long enough to allow local writers to recover from their shock, he added: "Somewhere between here and I-45." And they couldn't print the next sentence- He caught me and pinned my a&&!

Today, he's beloved for his remarkable speeches and for running the Children's Home of Easton.
  • jeffr_ideal and Coach_J like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users