Sign in to follow this  
sansbarksdale

FLO not allowing monthly subs anymore after 1/31/2018

https://www.flowrestling.org/pay

If you scroll down from that link and read the info under "What is my PRO subscription?" in the faq, it gives details. Looks like I'll be done with FLO permanently after January because I only use FLO for a handful of events and can't justify paying for a whole year. Kind of a shame because I really like the US Open and the WTT events. USA Wrestling made a big mistake getting in bed with them. They've been awful for the sport. 

Its being run through Track

yeah, why would Flo have the video but Track the brackets?  Combine the terrible UX of Track and Flo with Northwestern & Midlands who seem to have no idea how to put out useful information and turn in into a 3 way mess :(

. They've been awful for the sport. 

while i do have my own negative feelings in regards to FLO, I cannot agree with this statement.  They've done nothing but grow the sport and given fans unrivaled access to events, videos & results.

the problem is the fact that they are unrivaled.  at this point because they don't have any major competitors, they can do whatever they want as it relates to pricing & subscription model.

They've done nothing but grow the sport

I've heard this brought up but, honestly, I don't see it. What exactly have they done to grow the sport as older/current wrestlers will always be interested in such things anyhow and their site has done nothing to actively grow it but merely give a site for the aforementioned to watch videos, etc. Frankly I don't like FLO as I have no issue of course with charging people for content but their streams often disconnect, they bring no interesting discussions outside of the same rhetoric again and again, and they do absolutely nothing to grow the sport in terms of opening/holding clinics or the like in areas to help bring in kids by raising interest. 

No, they are good in that they bring content but outside of that it is a dreadfully lacking sports site that could be done so much better. There are several things they could do to both enhance their revenue while also bringing positive attention to the sport but their brass appears hellbent on these monthly/now yearly I guess subscriptions as their main source of revenue. I respect that a few men with no experience got together to build it, no doubt about that, however I think they could be doing a much better job with pretty much every single facet of the company. 

Edited by cm_111

I've heard this brought up but, honestly, I don't see it. What exactly have they done to grow the sport as older/current wrestlers will always be interested in such things anyhow and their site has done nothing to actively grow it but merely give a site for the aforementioned to watch videos, etc. Frankly I don't like FLO as I have no issue of course with charging people for content but their streams often disconnect, they bring no interesting discussions outside of the same rhetoric again and again, and they do absolutely nothing to grow the sport in terms of opening/holding clinics or the like in areas to help bring in kids by raising interest. 

No, they are good in that they bring content but outside of that it is a dreadfully lacking sports site that could be done so much better. There are several things they could do to both enhance their revenue while also bringing positive attention to the sport but their brass appears hellbent on these monthly/now yearly I guess subscriptions as their main source of revenue. I respect that a few men with no experience got together to build it, no doubt about that, however I think they could be doing a much better job with pretty much every single facet of the company. 

people are quick to criticize, but to this point no one has come out with a better product.

I don't see how you can't correlate more access to the sport (video, results, articles, etc.) and growing the sport.  there will always be hardcore fans like you, me and everyone else on this forum.  what FLO has done is give hardcore fans like us the ability to throw something like the Midlands championships up on our big screen, invite some friends over that maybe wouldn't have watched/paid attention, and HOPEFULLY create a hardcore fan out of them as well.

how did the UFC grow from something that was viewed as underground, barbaric and taboo to a mainstream professional sport it is today?  MEDIA COVERAGE!  telling a story, relating to the every day person, giving them something they WANT to watch.

believe me, I'm no FLO bandwagoner, I have many issues with how they go about things.  can't stand Nomad, and I think they cover "clickbait" topics way too much.  but as it sits right now, there's no better option for me as a fan.

In regards to the subscription model, that's the way of the world now.  You can't BUY a cell phone anymore, no one complains about Amazon Prime being a yearly subscription, and I don't know if I've met someone in the past year that doesn't have Netflix.

In regards to the subscription model, that's the way of the world now.  You can't BUY a cell phone anymore, no one complains about Amazon Prime being a yearly subscription, and I don't know if I've met someone in the past year that doesn't have Netflix.

You can pay monthly for a cell phone.  You can pay monthly for Netflix.  The op wasn't complaining about the subscription model in general but the move away from the monthly subscription to the annual subscription - if you only watch the Midlands, the Scuffle, the U.S. Open and the WTT, then the annual subscription makes you worse off.  Consumers prefer choices and variety so it's a reasonable complaint. 

yeah, why would Flo have the video but Track the brackets?  Combine the terrible UX of Track and Flo with Northwestern & Midlands who seem to have no idea how to put out useful information and turn in into a 3 way mess :(

Flo has the video because of their partnership with the Big Ten and BTN plus. They have never covered the tournament, and still aren't. They just have video access now due to deal with BTN. 

I’m curious of Flo’s rationale for eliminating the monthly subscriptions only for Flowrestling. Is it a short-sighted tactic to prevent unanticipated demand from overrunning their streams on popular events?  That makes sense if they don’t want to upset their core fans/subscribers; a la OSU vs. PSU.  However, it does not make sense for a forward-looking company concerned with gaining additional subscribers.  A more desirable long-run solution would be to invest in improving their streaming capability, right?

I think most of their customers buy their subscription during the november-march period because of the college wrestling season and then cancel after that, they've figured it out.

Anyone with another kind of stream? (DM) I can't stand flo anymore.

Flo has the video because of their partnership with the Big Ten and BTN plus. They have never covered the tournament, and still aren't. They just have video access now due to deal with BTN. 

does this mean Flo won't have the finals?

I watched from 9:30 to 3:30 and had no issues with the feed. 

It's simple if you don't want to pay for the yearly subscription don't.  I have never understood why people have to get on a board and complain.  Either buy it or don't.  

I'm like the other poster above.  I love having friends over and watching the ones we can't attend live.  

https://www.flowrestling.org/pay

If you scroll down from that link and read the info under "What is my PRO subscription?" in the faq, it gives details. Looks like I'll be done with FLO permanently after January because I only use FLO for a handful of events and can't justify paying for a whole year. Kind of a shame because I really like the US Open and the WTT events. USA Wrestling made a big mistake getting in bed with them. They've been awful for the sport. 

I get why Flo has gone away from a monthly subscription, but seems they are failing to recognize that they built this off the college fan base and college wrestling (from fan perspective) is only a 3 to 5 month sport.  It would be nice if they had something like a 6 mo option (~$80-$90) to go along with the $150 yearly option.

I get why Flo has gone away from a monthly subscription, but seems they are failing to recognize that they built this off the college fan base and college wrestling (from fan perspective) is only a 3 to 5 month sport.  It would be nice if they had something like a 6 mo option (~$80-$90) to go along with the $150 yearly option.

I'd be willing to bet that their gymnastics and cheer subscriber base is larger than that of wrestling.

I don't like Flo.  I dropped them after the OSU-PSU dual last year.  

That said they do a great job with content.  The podcasts are excellent.  The whiteboard wars are too infrequent but are a great feature.  They are doing more written pieces than ever.  Their website is not mainstream media quality but it is light years ahead of Track and other contemporaries.  They show more video than ever in the history of the sport.  They pay for video rights unlike ESPN who will broadcast wrestling when it helps them but will not pay for it even then.  By paying for it they help give it an inherent value.  I'm not a fan of hype in general but they create personalities that generate attention.   This is big for the sport.  They push social media which is huge.  In 10-20 years the social media rights of sports highlights might be worth more than the TV rights.  They are very friendly to a younger audience and help ensure our audience literally doesn't die out.  They are wildly ambitious and that is excellent since they drag wrestling forward while they drag themselves forward.

They are mediocre on the technical side and one of the worst companies I've ever encountered on the customer relations side.  Their pricing and billing are criminal.  I think they are entirely motivated by money, but a side effect of their business is that they do tons for the sport while they are trying to monetize wrestling fans.

I'd be willing to bet that their gymnastics and cheer subscriber base is larger than that of wrestling.

I bet it's not.  Look at the number of events they broadcast and that will tell you.  There is no way they put resources to broadcasting 10Xs more wrestling events when they have fewer viewers/subscribers.  

I watched from 9:30 to 3:30 and had no issues with the feed. 

It's simple if you don't want to pay for the yearly subscription don't.  I have never understood why people have to get on a board and complain.  Either buy it or don't.  

I'm like the other poster above.  I love having friends over and watching the ones we can't attend live.  

Thanks for telling us what's post worthy on a message board.  

Bocon, that is a very measured and accurate perspective. I agree with all of it. Their customer service is literally the worst I’ve ever dealt with. It’s like they don’t care because they don’t have to, they’re becoming a practical monopoly. Their technology team is butt. But in general, they are very good for the sport and give fans a reason to stay engaged very regularly year-round, which is the only way the sport can sustain its audience and even grow it.

I bet it's not.  Look at the number of events they broadcast and that will tell you.  There is no way they put resources to broadcasting 10Xs more wrestling events when they have fewer viewers/subscribers.  

You may not realize that they actually have two cheer sites:  FloCheer and VarsityTV.  Varsity TV is closely linked to the stuff you see on ESPN, but they show all the regional qualifiers, and the complete national championship events for cheer and dance at the the scholastic (MS, Jr High, JV, Varsity), Collegiate, and Club Team levels.  Other thing is Varsity Corp literally has a monopoly on HS spirit in this country, if not the world.  In addition the company that shows championships on ESPN (Varsity Spirit), they also run national championships for several other companies (NCA, USA, Cheer Alliance).  Beyond that, they oversee world championships for cheer and dance.

Across FloCheer, VarsityTV, and FloGymnastics, there are easily more events covered than FloWrestling.