Gavin Teasdale goes all Cenzo.

https://twitter.com/...738105310171136

#3 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,417 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:49 AM

126 final will be Beau Bartlett facing Gavin Teasdale. Bartlett defeated Sam Hillegas 2-0 while Teasdale beat state AA runner up Cole Rhone from Benton by a 17-2 score in 4:25. Rhone is a good wrestler and Teasdale widened the gap (pounded him really) on him having beaten him 12-6 last year. 

132 final is Silva against Carson Manville. 

145 has Gissandanner from NY against Kemerer from Hempfield, Pa. 

152 Josh Humphries from WV is wrecking the field. 

160 Starocci is in the final against Hartman from Belle Vernon. 

At 182 the expected final was Trent Hidlay vs. Cody Mulligan, but Mulligan was beaten pretty thoroughly in his semi final match up with Tim Wallace of Albert Gallatin HS in Fayette County. Mulligan I consider a good wrestler, but he was dominated in this match.  You can watch that match here.  https://www.flowrest...igan-saegertown

Hoffman and Amos are almost certainly going to win at 195 and 220. 

Edited by TBar1977, 30 December 2017 - 06:31 AM.

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#4 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,417 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:28 PM

Carson Manvile beats Joey Silva in the final. Silva did nothing except poke Manville in the face for 6 minutes, then he lost in OT. Right wrestler won the match. 

• lightweight likes this

#5 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,691 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

Carson Manville has balls of brass. To stay composed after all that and then hit the clutch granbies back to back like that against a VERY game senior is special, to say the least. Really impressive.

• lightweight likes this

#6 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,417 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

Carson Manville has balls of brass. To stay composed after all that and then hit the clutch granbies back to back like that against a VERY game senior is special, to say the least. Really impressive.

100 percent agreement. He has made a mental jump. 

And for Guillermo, I doubt Teasdale is dodging Silva. Teasdale has beat the crap out of everyone he has faced so far. 

Manville beat the #3, #2, and #1 seeds in this event. You don't see that happen like ever. 

Edited by TBar1977, 30 December 2017 - 12:40 PM.

• lightweight likes this

#7 Chrissn2001

Chrissn2001

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:28 PM

Any previous 8th graders win Powerade???  Bouzakis could become  the first 5 timer...

Edited by Chrissn2001, 30 December 2017 - 02:29 PM.

#8 lightweight

lightweight

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,333 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:08 PM

Any previous 8th graders win Powerade???  Bouzakis could become  the first 5 timer...

I hope not.  I was there tonight and if he's an eighth grader he's an eighth grader who is driving himself to junior high school.  Apparently all the redshirts who used to go to Brandon now go to this Florida prep school. 

#9 lightweight

lightweight

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,333 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:29 PM

126 final will be Beau Bartlett facing Gavin Teasdale. Bartlett defeated Sam Hillegas 2-0 while Teasdale beat state AA runner up Cole Rhone from Benton by a 17-2 score in 4:25. Rhone is a good wrestler and Teasdale widened the gap (pounded him really) on him having beaten him 12-6 last year. 

132 final is Silva against Carson Manville. 

145 has Gissandanner from NY against Kemerer from Hempfield, Pa. 

152 Josh Humphries from WV is wrecking the field. 

160 Starocci is in the final against Hartman from Belle Vernon. 

At 182 the expected final was Trent Hidlay vs. Cody Mulligan, but Mulligan was beaten pretty thoroughly in his semi final match up with Tim Wallace of Albert Gallatin HS in Fayette County. Mulligan I consider a good wrestler, but he was dominated in this match.  You can watch that match here.  https://www.flowrest...igan-saegertown

Hoffman and Amos are almost certainly going to win at 195 and 220. 

126 final was easily the best match of the night.  Teasdale did all the work, but Bartlett defended beautifully, and is both strong and flexible.  Teasdale took injury time for what looked like a back problem, but kept wrestling; hope it is not serious.  He was in a very funky position immediately prior to the ITO.  Tough first ever loss, but at least he avoids the pressure his buddy Spencer Lee faced last year of having to do the Dan Gable number at the state championship. 

Silva match was terrible, and it was the first match of the finals.  Don't know if that is always how he wrestles, or if that was some special game plan the coaches put in against Manville, but Manville kept his cool and was the only one doing actual wrestling at the end.  Impressive kid, especially since as a freshman he was unseeded. 

Gissendanner hit a very slick duckunder in the first period, and then just defended the rest of the way.  Kemerer hit about five single legs, all stalemated out when Gissendanner went over the top and hung on the ankles.  It was a winning strategy, but not much fun to watch.  One of the Penfield NY parents/coaches won about 3,500$ in the 50/50 drawing, so all in all it was a good trip to Pittsburgh from New York for Penfield.

Humphries was impressive.  Match started as if it was going to be close, and then he just exerted his will. 

Starocci held on to a lead, and Hartmann couldn't answer.  Not one of my favorite matches of the night.

182 Hidlay wrestled like he did as a PA state champ as a junior - very fast for a big man.  He'll be fun to follow for the rest of his career. 

===

You didn't mention the lightweight matches.  106 was two long skinny sophomores: "spiders".  Phipps prevailed over a very competitive Guida.  Good match, despite the low score.  Also 120 paired off two seniors, Newell, who is going to Pitt, and home gym favorite Macri.  No TD in the first, Macri escapes in the second, and very nearly rides out Newell in the third.  Macri wins in SV off a poor Newell shot - I think Newell spent a lot of physical and mental energy getting out from bottom in the third and was not ready for SV. 

#10 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

Tough loss for Teasdale. Almost had the TD at the end of the first and 3rd periods.

#11 Poohbear

Poohbear

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:44 PM

I hope not.  I was there tonight and if he's an eighth grader he's an eighth grader who is driving himself to junior high school.  Apparently all the redshirts who used to go to Brandon now go to this Florida prep school. 

Per his trackwrestling profile he is 14. ( if i am doing the math correctly). He would be 15 in 2018 which seems about right depending on when he turns 15. I did hear his dad was a 5X state finalist in NY and a 3X SC.

http://s400.trackwre...twId=1362081009

#12 lightweight

lightweight

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,333 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:57 PM

Per his trackwrestling profile he is 14. ( if i am doing the math correctly). He would be 15 in 2018 which seems about right depending on when he turns 15. I did hear his dad was a 5X state finalist in NY and a 3X SC.

http://s400.trackwre...twId=1362081009

They must have the early puberty genes then.  Kid is strong. 

#13 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,417 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:03 AM

126 final was easily the best match of the night.  Teasdale did all the work, but Bartlett defended beautifully, and is both strong and flexible.  Teasdale took injury time for what looked like a back problem, but kept wrestling; hope it is not serious.  He was in a very funky position immediately prior to the ITO.  Tough first ever loss, but at least he avoids the pressure his buddy Spencer Lee faced last year of having to do the Dan Gable number at the state championship. 

Silva match was terrible, and it was the first match of the finals.  Don't know if that is always how he wrestles, or if that was some special game plan the coaches put in against Manville, but Manville kept his cool and was the only one doing actual wrestling at the end.  Impressive kid, especially since as a freshman he was unseeded. 

Gissendanner hit a very slick duckunder in the first period, and then just defended the rest of the way.  Kemerer hit about five single legs, all stalemated out when Gissendanner went over the top and hung on the ankles.  It was a winning strategy, but not much fun to watch.  One of the Penfield NY parents/coaches won about 3,500$ in the 50/50 drawing, so all in all it was a good trip to Pittsburgh from New York for Penfield.

Humphries was impressive.  Match started as if it was going to be close, and then he just exerted his will. 

Starocci held on to a lead, and Hartmann couldn't answer.  Not one of my favorite matches of the night.

182 Hidlay wrestled like he did as a PA state champ as a junior - very fast for a big man.  He'll be fun to follow for the rest of his career. 

===

You didn't mention the lightweight matches.  106 was two long skinny sophomores: "spiders".  Phipps prevailed over a very competitive Guida.  Good match, despite the low score.  Also 120 paired off two seniors, Newell, who is going to Pitt, and home gym favorite Macri.  No TD in the first, Macri escapes in the second, and very nearly rides out Newell in the third.  Macri wins in SV off a poor Newell shot - I think Newell spent a lot of physical and mental energy getting out from bottom in the third and was not ready for SV. 

Nice write up. I didn't like that position Teasdale got into and it looked like quite the strain on his back. Not a body part you want to mess around with. If I put two videos on the screen here, one of this match and one of the Jacob Warner vs. West Virginia match, we could change this thread into the one where we are arguing ref calls. If Warner got a TD in his match, then how (aside from h.s. rules are different than college rules) did Teasdale not get a TD at the end of period 1? 

Not that I am complaining. It is what it is and Teasdale is no better or worse a wrestler today as yesterday. 

#14 Poohbear

Poohbear

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:25 AM

They must have the early puberty genes then.  Kid is strong. 

Think you are right about the genes. Found this while searching other matches. His wrestles like his dad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users