Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Midlands quarterfinals

I have no idea why Iowa would shirt Lee or Warner.  Both can contend for titles this season.  And if Downey makes 184, the Hawks are suddenly a top four with the incentive of being an underdog.  Add in the most passionate fan base in the country, and that's a team that could really wreak havoc at season's end.    

I have no idea why Iowa would shirt Lee or Warner.  Both can contend for titles this season.  And if Downey makes 184, the Hawks are suddenly a top four with the incentive of being an underdog.  Add in the most passionate fan base in the country, and that's a team that could really wreak havoc at season's end.    

Because nobody at Iowa gets excited about top 4.  The argument for wrestling Lee is not that you get top 4 as a team.  The argument for wrestling Lee is you do best by the kid and you have his RS in reserve if it's ever needed later.  

Because nobody at Iowa gets excited about top 4.  The argument for wrestling Lee is not that you get top 4 as a team.  The argument for wrestling Lee is you do best by the kid and you have his RS in reserve if it's ever needed later.

That's right! They get excited about being a top 3 team!

Then you have to pull him. It's not the right thing for Lee to shirt him when he could very likely win. If he handles Suriano, he might even become the favorite given Nato's injury. An injured Nato, a Suriano you beat, and no Fix is IDEAL for Lee. He has gotten injured in his last two HIGH SCHOOL seasons. Are you sure you don't want to save the shirt for the possibility that he might get injured again in a room full of animals over the next FOUR years? Especially for a guy like Lee who likes to give up 20-30 lbs against some of his practice partners (a practice that I hope Brands put an end to). Brands would be doing Lee a big disservice by redshirting him for no reason if he handles Suriano. What further proof of readiness would you need??

That is the one thing that I've always wondered and I actually heard the guys on Floradio mention. Blindly redshirting guys their first year paints you into a corner later if they get hurt. You have to lose parts of two years to get a medical redshirt. Saving your red shirt, especially in a room like Iowa's, when it's more likely than not that you do get hurt at some point, is just good coaching.