Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

The “why did Lee MFF?� thread

The ONLY time in thh match where I thought injury was even remotely possible was in the final 10 seconds or so. If you have access to Flo's archive, go to 9:09 in the video. You'll see Lee beginning to reverse Bresser by grabbing his far leg, and then when Bresser locks up the side headlock, sitting into Bresser's pressure and taking him over his own leg (the one with the 100-lb brace on it). That leg was in a potentially compromised, bent position for about 2 seconds before Lee hip heisted it out from under Bresser to get perpendicular to him.

He looked totally fine walking off the mat to me, though, but who knows.

It feels like a puss move but I have a hard time believing Lee would do anything like this. I don't think he's ever quite a tournament or event before in his entire life, and it's not like him to do so. I think it's much more likely that Perry or Brands decided to pull him out and be over-cautious. Maybe they were influenced a bit with a desire to do mental damage control too, but I highly doubt Lee just up and quit.

The ONLY time in thh match where I thought injury was even remotely possible was in the final 10 seconds or so. If you have access to Flo's archive, go to 9:09 in the video. You'll see Lee beginning to reverse Bresser by grabbing his far leg, and then when Bresser locks up the side headlock, sitting into Bresser's pressure and taking him over his own leg (the one with the 100-lb brace on it). That leg was in a potentially compromised, bent position for about 2 seconds before Lee hip heisted it out from under Bresser to get perpendicular to him.

It feels like a puss move but I have a hard time believing Lee would do anything like this. I don't think he's ever quite a tournament or event before in his entire life, and it's not like him to do so. I think it's much more likely that Perry or Brands decided to pull him out and be over-cautious. Maybe they were influenced a bit with a desire to do mental damage control too, but I highly doubt Lee just up and quit.

When's the last time Spencer Lee has been in a consolation bracket? Legit question.

If Brands plans on keeping the RS on, maybe he wants to ease him back in.  He has plenty of time to get ready for next year, and pushing him too hard too soon after an injury might be over doing it.  Moisey is no pushover, national champs* usually aren't.

I agree that Lee doesn’t seem the type to go down without fighting. He wrestled states with a torn acl AMA. Edited by BigTimeFan

My point is he didn't even quit his own HS season when he tore up his knee. FFS, he had zero to prove. Get the surgery done and over with early and move on! But no.

Well, I wouldn't say he had zero to prove.  Had he won that match he would have been an undefeated 4 time AAA state champ, which is a club with very few members.  And he very nearly pulled out a victory, despite the serious injury. 

Today, on the other hand, he was wrestling unattached in a redshirt year.  Very different decision, IMO. 

Is it easy to enter a tournament you've already won three times and eclipsed many more times with world titles when you have a a torn ACL?

It's not easy at all, you actually have to qualify.    If it was just a matter of signing up and you're in, I think nearly everyone would enter. 

That said, he qualified for the wrestle backs today by virtue of his loss.   I hope he is not hurt/injured and this is just a tantrum/ego knee jerk reaction from Lee or the staff.    And if so, I hope they get rid of that attitude and show a little more  respect to the sport.  At this point it wouldn't surprise me to learn he tossed his 6th place medal into the trash.    

Not questioning that, I was legitimately asking when was the last time he was in a consolation bracket?

He usually loses in the finals.   When he got beat at cadet worlds, I don't believe he qualified for repechage.    All the losses I've seen him take have been in the finals with the exception of that world tournament where he got bumped out early.    

Desanto beat him in the finals PA states

Fix beat him twice in the finals cadet trials

Suriano beat him in the finals super 32

Cadet worlds he lost in the 1st or 2nd round iirc.     

Yeah he doesn't get into the consolation bracket much.     And when he does, he doesn't  wrestle.   

It's not easy at all, you actually have to qualify.    If it was just a matter of signing up and you're in, I think nearly everyone would enter. 

That said, he qualified for the wrestle backs today by virtue of his loss.   I hope he is not hurt/injured and this is just a tantrum/ego knee jerk reaction from Lee or the staff.    And if so, I hope they get rid of that attitude and show a little more  respect to the sport.  At this point it wouldn't surprise me to learn he tossed his 6th place medal into the trash.    

10/10

I have a hard time believing that Brands lets Lee compete at midlands if the knee was not 100%. I just cant imagine that the Iowa staff would put their best recruit in years in harms way.

With that being said--Why the MFF? 

Was this to save face- he lost because he was hurt? was it to protect from another loss? or is Brands really feeling the heat for this years team and pushing?

I watched the match a couple times--I dont see an Injury or Lee acting like he is hurt....but then again--I watched NS match last year when he broke the ankle and I didnt think that injury was serious either.