• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,425 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:14 PM

This topic deserves its own thread. If wrestling as a TF is all about getting matches in and getting experience then forfeiting to Moisey makes no sense. If he got injured VS Bresser then that really sucks but when? Maybe in that first flurry when Bressser got in deep?
  • spladle08 likes this

#2 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,772 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:23 PM

The ONLY time in thh match where I thought injury was even remotely possible was in the final 10 seconds or so. If you have access to Flo's archive, go to 9:09 in the video. You'll see Lee beginning to reverse Bresser by grabbing his far leg, and then when Bresser locks up the side headlock, sitting into Bresser's pressure and taking him over his own leg (the one with the 100-lb brace on it). That leg was in a potentially compromised, bent position for about 2 seconds before Lee hip heisted it out from under Bresser to get perpendicular to him.

He looked totally fine walking off the mat to me, though, but who knows.

It feels like a puss move but I have a hard time believing Lee would do anything like this. I don't think he's ever quite a tournament or event before in his entire life, and it's not like him to do so. I think it's much more likely that Perry or Brands decided to pull him out and be over-cautious. Maybe they were influenced a bit with a desire to do mental damage control too, but I highly doubt Lee just up and quit.

#3 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:25 PM

Brands knows how to conserve his guys confidence.
  • pjm46 likes this

#4 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:26 PM

The ONLY time in thh match where I thought injury was even remotely possible was in the final 10 seconds or so. If you have access to Flo's archive, go to 9:09 in the video. You'll see Lee beginning to reverse Bresser by grabbing his far leg, and then when Bresser locks up the side headlock, sitting into Bresser's pressure and taking him over his own leg (the one with the 100-lb brace on it). That leg was in a potentially compromised, bent position for about 2 seconds before Lee hip heisted it out from under Bresser to get perpendicular to him.

It feels like a puss move but I have a hard time believing Lee would do anything like this. I don't think he's ever quite a tournament or event before in his entire life, and it's not like him to do so. I think it's much more likely that Perry or Brands decided to pull him out and be over-cautious. Maybe they were influenced a bit with a desire to do mental damage control too, but I highly doubt Lee just up and quit.

When's the last time Spencer Lee has been in a consolation bracket? Legit question.
  • lightweight and Flying-Tiger like this

#5 KCMO2

KCMO2

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:27 PM

If Brands plans on keeping the RS on, maybe he wants to ease him back in.  He has plenty of time to get ready for next year, and pushing him too hard too soon after an injury might be over doing it.  Moisey is no pushover, national champs* usually aren't.

#6 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,772 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:28 PM

When's the last time Spencer Lee has been in a consolation bracket? Legit question.

My point is he didn't even quit his own HS season when he tore up his knee. FFS, he had zero to prove. Get the surgery done and over with early and move on! But no.

#7 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,425 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:28 PM

I agree that Lee doesn’t seem the type to go down without fighting. He wrestled states with a torn acl AMA.

Edited by BigTimeFan, 30 December 2017 - 04:31 PM.

#8 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:29 PM

It's easy to not quit a tournament when you are always winning them.. 

• BigTenFanboy likes this

#9 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,772 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

Is it easy to enter a tournament you've already won three times and eclipsed many more times with world titles when you have a a torn ACL?

#10 ionel

ionel

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:32 PM

Did the US quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
  • HurricaneWrestling, LoStNuMbEr, Tofurky and 10 others like this

#11 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:36 PM

My point is he didn't even quit his own HS season when he tore up his knee. FFS, he had zero to prove. Get the surgery done and over with early and move on! But no.

Not questioning that, I was legitimately asking when was the last time he was in a consolation bracket?

#12 lightweight

lightweight

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,333 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

Well, I wouldn't say he had zero to prove.  Had he won that match he would have been an undefeated 4 time AAA state champ, which is a club with very few members.  And he very nearly pulled out a victory, despite the serious injury. 

Today, on the other hand, he was wrestling unattached in a redshirt year.  Very different decision, IMO. 

#13 BigTimeFan

BigTimeFan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,425 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

What’s the logic folks? Let’s say he was healthy. Is there any harm to wrestling Moisey and getting some more D1 experience against a top opponent ?

#14 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:46 PM

Hell no!

Edited by MadMardigain, 30 December 2017 - 04:46 PM.

#15 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:50 PM

Hell no!

Germans?

Forget it he's rolling..
  • xander and squeek like this

#16 lightweight

lightweight

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,333 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:53 PM

Germans?

Forget it he's rolling..

https://www.youtube....h?v=q7vtWB4owdE

• xander and jstock like this

#17 lu_alum

lu_alum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:58 PM

Best part of that movie was when the sub surfaced and the crew looked up at the periscope to see "Hollywood".

#18 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 979 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:28 PM

Best part of that movie was when the sub surfaced and the crew looked up at the periscope to see "Hollywood".

That was 1941.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
  • xander likes this

#19 KCMO2

KCMO2

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

I liked when they pretended to be the Good 'Ol Boys at the bar.

• xander likes this

#20 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,015 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:08 PM

Lee didn't look hurt to me. I hate it when guys forfeit out after they lose a match in the championship bracket. The kid has already lost, let him get some more experience for goodness sake.

Edited by TobusRex, 30 December 2017 - 07:09 PM.

• de4856 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users